“terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Epsom, United Kingdom
“terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I booked this hotel 2 months ahead of our stay as we were attending a wedding reception about 4 miles away from the hotel. We received a phone call at 2pm explaining that there had been a technical issue and there was no room for us at the hotel, we would be moved to a hotel in Hitchin which was around 17 miles in the opposite direction to the wedding we would be attending. We explained that logistically this was not possible as we would not be able to check in, change and get to the wedding on time. Needless to say, we were not happy about this. After further discussion, we were told that we would be accommodated at a 4 star hotel over the road at no additional cost to ourselves and we were happy with this arrangement. However, when we arrived at the hotel over the road they were fully booked. They explained that they had communicated this to the staff at the Ramada but no one had told us this. they had no rooms available and called every hotel in the area for us - everywhere was full! We were feeling quite desperate at this point thinking we were not going to make it to the wedding on time, so we went back to the Ramada and spoke to the manager. Suddenly they managed to find a room for us after causing us a great deal of stress and giving us about 10 minutes to shower and get ready for a wedding. The room was very average (our expectations were not high) but worse of all, it stank of stale cigarette smoke! The manager provided no explanation to us as to how this had happened and we had to push to get a small amount taken off our bill. Our experience was terrible, the staff were incompetent and we would not stay at this hotel again or any Ramada if we were paid!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for your poor experience. I will fully investigate this and will contact you directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Shepperton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Ramada hotel for 1 night on 26th May. We chose this hotel due to the location as we needed to be close to the Uni for a festival we were attending.

The outside of the hotel looks very run down, in much need of some TLC! However, we were surprised with the inside which had no reflection on the exterior. Our room was very nice, big comfy bed and the bathroom was good with a powerfull shower.

We didn't eat at the hotel or have breakfast so I can't comment on that.

All in all, a good hotel for an over night stay and we would return.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. We are pleased you enjoyed our big comfy beds & powerful showers and delighted you would return. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

The original hotel was built in 1936 in an art deco style and has strong links to Hatfield's aviation history. The build style of this original building may make it look worn. Due to it's grade II listing the frontage cannot be altered however we have recently created an area of grass in front of the hotel, planted around the Comet Plane statue and hung hanging baskets with spring flowers around the building to enhance the curb appeal of the exterior building.
wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night on may 25th 2013
Found the food very bad No Free wifi
the bed rooms Lacked A good clean Bed had hole in the side and was missing feet
Shower Did not work Properly
Having Stayed in Ramada hotels Many times
This one did not Live up to the Name

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sad that we did not live up to your expectations but always use feedback to improve. I would be keen to gain more detailed feedback from you if you would like to contact me on gm@ramadahatfieldhotel.co.uk.
I would like to take this opportunity to highlight that the hotel does offer free wifi in our public areas.
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Very friendly service. Room very spacious with all the facilities you need. Food ok plenty places nearby like shopping outlet on doorstep. Very scenic environment cinema opposite etc. Online price was very decent.

• Stayed May 2013
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. I am delighted my team offered such friendly service and you found your bedroom spacious; the majority of our bedrooms are above average size. I am glad you managed to find yourself a good room rate; there are some great on-line deals out there especially at weekends! I also agree the Galleria Outlet Shopping Centre just opposite is well worth a visit and does boast Europe's first digital cinema.
Wisbech Saint Mary, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed for one night. Had a huge room which was very clean. Breakfast was very good. It was self service buffet which I then had in my room. Staff was friendly. The location was not bad. Not far from local shops and Hatfield Galeria. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. It is good to read such great feedback about our friendly staff, breakfast quality and huge clean rooms; most of our bedrooms are larger than average. I also agree the hotel is well located with the added benefit of being so close to the Galleria Outlet Shopping Centre. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Wecomed by friendly staff and efficient check-in. Room was acceptable, clean and tidy with a selef service breakfast in the morning.

Checkout was terrible, printers had broken and it took ages to finally get this sorted.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your 3 star review. I am pleased you found your check-in efficient, your room clean and staff friendly. It is a shame a printer problem delayed your check-out. I am not aware of any printer problems currently; we recognise that speed of check-out is important and have recently replaced a faulty printer for new.
Bedfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in Ramada Hatfield on fri 19th /Sat 20th April as we were at a nearby conference. The room was ok - nothing special but ok. The shower surround was grubby & mouldy and the shower temp dial was a joke (i set it to 35 degrees came out scolding)

Just a few doors down from our rom was a leaking pipe in the ceiling. It was leaking into a bucket which overflowed as nobody had bothered to check it. It was like this for 2 whole days ! I tried to report this but there was nobody at reception.

But the restaurant was where things truly went downhill. On the first night I tried some form of chicken (as there were never any labels except at breakfast !) and fish of no description. This was accompanied by broccoli, cauli and carrots. Breakfast on Sat was poor - especially the rubber scrambled egg. And fix the toaster so that the bread comes out the front not the back ! Lunch was roast beef - the Yorkies were fine but I imagine they were bought in and reheated. The beef was extra extra well done - rubbery, dry and tasteless. The worst beef I've EVER eaten. And the potatoes were like bullets. And again, broccoli, cauli and carrots. Dinner was ok - but yet again, broccoli, cauli and carrots. There are other veg you know. Sunday lunch included a mushroom ghoulash (i think) which was one of the hottest things I've ever tasted - but compared to the beef, a positive delight.

Room service was a joke. We called at about 10:20pm to order a couple of sandwiches. We chased at 11pm but they only arrived at 11:25 - an hour after we'd ordered them. It was 2 sandwiches !

Some of the staff clearly don't know much English which is a pain when you need something.

My wife was woken up at around 6am by the tea cups rattling on the tea trolley as it went somewhere near our room.

All in all, a pretty poor experience. We wouldn't choose to stay there again - and certainly wouldn't eat there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations but will definately use your feedback to improve our product & service.

I believe you were attending a residential conference being held at the hotel. The Food & Beverage Manager did keep in regular contact with the organisers of this conference Kathy & Clive who gave good feedback and reported no problems.

I have visited the room you occupied and there is a some mould on one strip of mastic; I will get this strip re-done. I will also get the temperature control looked at and repaired or replaced as needed. We do often rely on guest feedback to identify issues with items like the temperature control. Apologies for this fault.

The hotel did have a leaking pipe. An engineer was called out but a part had to be ordered so it could not be fixed over the weekend. The part arrived on Monday and the leak has now been fixed. Obviously the bucket was not checked often enough but thanks for trying to report this.

On the first night the dish described as chicken was pork and the fish was cod. The staff should talk to our guests to explain what the dishes are however the dishes were obviously not explained to yourselves. I will ensure the Food & Beverage Manager is checking that this is done.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the beef. The joint was cooked medium and was carved as guests requested a slice. The conference did break for lunch thirty minutes later than the hotel were expecting them so the food was on the buffet for thirty minutes before your arrival however this would not dry out an un-cut joint of beef. The Yorkshire Puddings were bought in; the Head Chef has highlighted to me that he does not have a tray to cook homemade Yorkshire Puddings. I have now authorised the purchase of a tray for this purpose.

Admittedly the vegetables were not varied throughout your stay; I have instructed the Head Chef to vary the vegetables in future for groups dining with us for more than one meal.

I am unable to comment on the room service as there is no record of a sandwich order for your room. I can only imagine the team did not charge you as you experienced problems. At present I have been unable to identify who took, made or delivered this order.

We do have an international team working for the hotel which is often very handy as we have alot of international guests however I can empathise that it can be frustrating if you are not understood. We do not let staff work front of house unless they have a reasonable command of English and always have British staff on duty too.

I am sorry your wife was woken up at 6am. I can only think that it was a breakfast room service tray that was being delivered that was the cause of the noise as a trolley of tea cups would not be passing by the room you occupied. I will speak to the team to ensure they place a napkin inbetween crockery to deaden the sound when laying up the trays.

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!