“Oh dear...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Oh dear...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Arrived at approx 8pm, midweek. Check in was pretty quick, room was, at first glance, clean and well appointed. Our group then went downstairs to the bar and restaurant area which was very busy and we were told up to a half an hour wait for a table due to the fact there were so many of us. I personally wouldn't class a group of 8 people a large one but hey ho! We eventually had a table readied after 30 mins, ordered food relatively quickly, and thats when the problems started. We understand there was only one chef that night, the food we ordered wasn't too tasking, but it turned into an ordeal of farcical proportions. Meals sent back more than once, cold food, and all this after waiting nearly an hour. Not great! Returning to the room, closer inspection revealed cigarette ash all over the window sill, the japanese part of the shower didn't really function, soaking the floor more than me, and why oh why is there no mains plug sockets next to the bed??? Small things, no doubt easily corrected, but all together not a good experience.
I do however have to point out the staff (except the chef) were nothing short of excellent, full of apologies for the meal fiasco, very polite and pleasant throughout, the breakfast the next morning was very good indeed so it is a shame these other issues spoiled our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am heartened to read your praises for my waiting staff and glad you found them excellent, polite & pleasant. I am also pleased to hear breakfast was very good.

I am disappointed to read of your poor experience at dinner and apologize. From reading your review I believe you were with the same party that have posted the two previous reviews. The hotel was full that night and a large number of guests did dine in due to our popular “Eat as much as you like for £15” themed buffet. There were two chefs working that night. I have discussed you feedback with my Head Chef so he can coach his team to improve and review the wording of the burger on the menu. I apologize that the Duty Manager on duty that night did not see you, he was assisting another guest at the time. The gentleman who did see you was in charge of restaurant service that night and also acts as a Duty Manager several times a week.

Unfortunately the Japanese shower jets in all rooms are leaking and cannot be fixed. I have already put forward a proposal to the owners to get these removed and capped; I await their authorisation.

I apologize for the dirty window sill in your bedroom and have passed your feedback to my Head Housekeeper so she can address this with her team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We Stayed here with work! Hotel is nice, Art Deco front etc & Awesome Scale Model of a DeHavilland Comet DH.88 Air Racer in Grovsner House Colours on a Pedestal at the front of the hotel in Homage to the Hotels name & Hatfileds Aviation History.

My Room was nice, comfy bed etc and the shower was awesome, but it was too hot, so had to have the window open and as my room faced the road it was quite noisy, good job I'm a heavy sleeper!

I enjoyed my stay but sadly the dinner service was appaling. We had to wait nearly an hour for 8 meals, when they did arrive, 2 of them were cold, the Steak was cooked wrong, the Veggie burger was just a geasy deep fried mess & one of the burgers that was oredered without mayo (allergy) came out with mayo on it...so then had to be re-cooked! This then took nearly 15mins etc, buy which time we had finished!

The 2 Pasta dishes that were cold, were just re-heated by microwave I assume, and when they came back they still wern't right. The 2 people that orded them refused to eat them...

The Steak was meant to be Rare, but was more like M/well. The person who orded it was too hungry to ask for a frsh one, so just ate it! He did say it was tasty though!

The veggie burger was awful...again, this meal was left too!

The burgers that did come out correct were tasty. No complaints there!

Apparantly they were down a Chef...not really my problem TBF, get in an agency one if its going to affect your dinner service that much!

Not enough was done to remedy the situation, I feel the whole cheque should have been complimentary, not just 3 meals as it spoilt all of our dining experience. No manager came to apologise and it was really left upto the poor waiting staff who I think new they were fighting a loosing battle.

Beerr was reasonably priced for so close to London & the breakfast was really good! Especially the sausages which were yummy!

Overall, nice place, love the Art Deco feel of the place, but ask for a room away from the road if you are a light sleeper! For dinner I'd go somewhere else.........

Hope that Helps!

Room Tip: Away from the road......
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your 3 star review. I am pleased your room was nice with comfy bed and awesome shower and delighted you enjoyed our breakfast sausages. I am also pleased you enjoyed and appreciated the aviation history of the hotel and art deco feel.

I am sorry you found the room temperature too hot; all our bedrooms do have thermostatic controls on the radiators.

From reading your dining experience I believe you were with the same party as the review before yours and apologize for your poor dining experience. The hotel was not a "chef down", the staffing was as rota-ed with two chefs in the kitchen. I have discussed you feedback with my Head Chef so he can coach his team to improve and review the wording of the burger on the menu. I apologize that the Duty Manager on duty that night did not see you, he was assisting another guest at the time. The gentleman who did see you was in charge of restaurant service that night and also acts as a Duty Manager several times a week.
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Got there around 8pm, so sure it's a little late, but were told that we couldn't be seated and served till they had room, as we advised we were going to go elsewhere, suddenly they could seat us (around 9pm), that wasn't such a major issue.

Ordered food from what seemed like a nice menu, expected a wait as there was only 1 chef working as the other one was off. Waited around 30-35 minutes for that to come, again not the end of the world, however 2 meals were stone cold (penne pasta), a steak was brought out well over done from what was asked for, another came out that wasn't really edible at all.

Then there were 4 of us that had ordered burgers, 2 came out fine, the last 2 had gotten muddled up, so had to go back and fix, then when they came back 1 was fine, but the other had mayonnaise inside. Now usually not a big deal, if however as I can't have this due to an allergy, advising the staff that I couldn't have the coleslaw because of the mayo and an allergy, surely would have suggested that I can't have it in the burger either. (Not mentioned on the menu either, or I could have pointed this out when ordering)

So anyway they had to make a new burger and I was told this would be 5 minutes (really? that's not really cooked then surely), anyway.. around 20-25 or so minutes later this came out, it was all right, nothing to write home about, chips were the usual fried offering, nothing special. I could only really eat the burger, couldn't face any more than a couple of the chips.

So after this fiasco, the waitresses were very apologetic didn't charge for the 2 pasta's or the vegetarian mess, however still fully expected me to pay for mine, I did but asked to speak to the manager which never turned up. Not too impressed with the overall experience of the GRIMada Hotel so far..

Anyway, I went to my room to settle in for the night, figured that I would check my emails and such on the free WiFi included, only to find that there isn't one or its not in range, I don't know which but either way there wasn't a WiFi to connect to. Tested 2 devices on it and just the same, nothing found in range but a obscure connection that kept dropping when trying to enter a password, so I used my phone's data connection instead (pretty good 3G signal on Orange/EE there mind you).

After that, I just went to bed, turned on the light above the bed, couldn't see a light there for the main one so went to turn out the lights by the door and off go all the lights.. put the main switch back on and the one near the bed plus one by the door comes on. No separate switch for that light that I can see, so try messing with combinations, then figure I'll try the bathroom light instead of the one above the bed, nope same deal.

After a few minutes of looking further around finally find one next to the other side of the bed, or where you would have thought the bed should have been placed by anyone sensible.. the beds had been put together to form a double bed, then moved over to one (bolted on the wall) side table, but not the one with the light switch.

So now at not far off midnight, I'm there having to move the furniture around just so that I can reach the switch from in the bed once i'm ready to go to sleep, without falling over stuff from the main door or having to climb out of bed to turn off the light from the further away switch.

Oh well anyway, beds were comfortable enough, pillows kind of hard, but nothing too bad...

So next morning, get up get sorted and then to shower found the Aqualiser (bars the spray water from sides in shower) leaking on the left side at the top, which resulted in water going all over and possibly not safe to use. The main shower head only had some nozzles working, though at least it was nice and warm/hot, (as the warnings did say it would be), on getting out of the shower, I was glad I'd put the bath mat down, because it was soaking wet, it would appear that the shower doors leak too.

So the last thing that I found rather interesting, was they provide you with an iron to use and an ironing board, a nice touch, however not so good when the iron is dirty and has something stuck to it, luckily it was firmly stuck (burned?) on and when testing with a wet towel it didn't stain that, so was safe to use on a shirt. A little worrying though when first seeing this.

On checkout, no one even bothered to ask how my stay was, though I politely handed them a little list of the things I found wrong with the room so that they had chance to fix them for the next guest. I find this a little unlikely that it will be fixed, however I've given them the chance.

Overall ratings: Very poor.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for your poor experience but please be assured I take all feedback seriously and do take action to improve our product and service.

The hotel was full the night of your stay and a large number of guests did dine in due to our popular “Eat as much as you like for £15” themed buffet. There were two chefs working that night. I have discussed you feedback with my Head Chef so he can coach his team to improve and review the wording of the burger on the menu. I apologize that the Duty Manager on duty that night did not see you, he was assisting another guest at the time. The gentleman who did see you was in charge of restaurant service that night and also acts as a Duty Manager several times a week.

The hotel does not offer wifi in the bedrooms and does not advertise this. Fixed wired internet access is available in the bedrooms and there is free wifi in the public areas. I am however pleased to inform you that the hotel is installing a new internet system shortly which does include wifi in all bedrooms.

In many of our bedrooms there is a switch by the entrance door that must be turned on for any other light switch to work and when switched off turns off all lighting; this is an environmental energy saving feature but can be confusing for our guests.

Unfortunately the Japanese shower jets in all rooms are leaking and cannot be fixed as the parts have been discontinued. I have already put forward a proposal to the owners to get these removed and capped; I await their authorization for these works.

My Head Housekeeper will take action regarding the iron and bed location that you highlighted.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to the Ramada. I must say our room was beautiful we had a suite, it was clean the Japanese shower was so powerful I could have it on fully. All of the staff whom we met during our stay were polite and very helpful. The grounds were beautifully maintained and much bigger than we remembered. The hotel does not have a swimming pool or gym facilities but we remembered from last time that we could access the university's facilities a short walk away and so we took full advantage of this. The pool was an Olympic size and the gym was fully equipped this was a free service. The breakfast was buffet and again I could not fault the service offered.
Well worth a visit if you are needing a break from travel into London or are going on further towards the midlands.

Room Tip: We had a suite this time it was excellent we were down a very quiet block at the back of the hotel o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review. I am delighted you found my team polite & helpful and found our breakfast faultless. I agree it is well worth a visit to the Hertfordshire Sports Village just a few minutes walk away to take advantage of their Olympic sized swimming pool and state-of-the-art gym - free to all Ramada Hatfield hotel guests! Many guests do not realize how big our grounds are and thanks to a local gardening firm are very well maintained and look stunning, especially in summer - ideal for weddings!
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are having a wedding next October, We have been looking at block booking about 20+ hotel rooms for family and friends. We were told a quote of £40.00 per night with breakfast over the phone, this sounded really good so I booked a meeting with the person who managed weddings and block booking. When we arrived we were met with indifference and told to take a seat, the person who we had booked the meeting with and who was meant to show us around then left us there for about a quarter of an hour before sending someone out to say she had another meeting and would not see us. We were then shown around by a member of desk staff, although she was friendly and polite she was not able to answer any of our questions. The rooms were average and not anything to write home about. We then asked about the price again and we were told actually no its £60.00 a night! A £20.00 jump! We were shocked and explained what we had been told on the phone, we were told that we must have imagined that price or been told the rate for the wrong day. I asked if they would honor the price I had it all written down and dated in my wedding book, they said no. The whole experience was very disappointing and made me not want to ever stay in this hotel or recommend it to anyone. They were rude, unhelpful and never called us back to ask what we had thought. The hotel was also rather grotty and unclean when we went around, a very unkempt air. We have just been to the Mercure Hatfield Oak hotel this morning. The difference was unbelievable! They were friendly, welcoming, clean, bright and were willing to bend over backwards for our special day. I would suggest to everyone and anyone to use them instead, the Comet has lost itself over 20 room booking's and money on their bar and restaurant. If you want comfort and good service don't go here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are disappointed and surprised to receive this review as we have a block booking for this guest in our system.
We would like Tripadvisor readers to note the following;
The lady in charge of group bookings did not arrange an appointment with this guest. As she was already in a meeting at the time the guest arrived she asked one of our Conference & Events Sales Executives who regularly conducts show rounds to meet this guest.
We have been unable to identify who the guest spoke to at the hotel to gain the quote of £40 and arrange the appointment.
The guest is having a wedding at Hatfield House and the hotel has negotiated a rate of £60 bed & breakfast per room with Hatfield House for referral business which is why this rate was quoted. This is a per room rate rather than a per person rate. It is unclear if the £40 was a per room or per person rate.
The Sales Executive who conducted the show round did not get the impression the guest was in any way unhappy and a block booking of 20 rooms was made. An e-mail confirming this block booking was sent to the guest on 26th March at 17:42. The same e-mail stated that the hotel would be in touch 6 weeks before the wedding for an update.
Boulogne-sur-Mer, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

As a tour Guide I stayed overnight last Saturday with a small group of French People. It was my first stay there and I would highly recommend this Hotel for its comfort and for the quality of service. The rooms were comfortable, beds were just perfect, everything was done for our stay to be at its best espacially by Emma, the young girl at the Reception desk who was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review. As a Tour Guide you are probably a more seasoned traveller than most so your kind comments regarding our quality service and room comfort mean a lot to the team. I will be sure to reward Emma for her helpful and friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Watson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went to the Ramada with my son & his soccer (football) team from Canada who were on a soccer tour. Stayed for about 4 nights and was very pleased with the food and the rooms were comfy, warm & clean. Conveniently located across the street from the Galleria shopping mall. The staff were very helpful, friendly & courteous. Only being able to get WIFI in the restaurant/bar was a little inconvenient but I quite enjoyed the homey, living room feel of the restaurant/bar area. An elevator would have made getting my baggage upstairs much easier.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. So pleased to hear of your great experience. You will be pleased to hear that the hotel will shortly be installing a new internet service that will include wifi coverage in all the hotel bedrooms! The hotel does not have a lift but only has a ground and first floor; our helpful staff are always on hand to assist with luggage!

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!