“Bad food, poor customer service and problems with the room!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
“Bad food, poor customer service and problems with the room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Got there around 8pm, so sure it's a little late, but were told that we couldn't be seated and served till they had room, as we advised we were going to go elsewhere, suddenly they could seat us (around 9pm), that wasn't such a major issue.

Ordered food from what seemed like a nice menu, expected a wait as there was only 1 chef working as the other one was off. Waited around 30-35 minutes for that to come, again not the end of the world, however 2 meals were stone cold (penne pasta), a steak was brought out well over done from what was asked for, another came out that wasn't really edible at all.

Then there were 4 of us that had ordered burgers, 2 came out fine, the last 2 had gotten muddled up, so had to go back and fix, then when they came back 1 was fine, but the other had mayonnaise inside. Now usually not a big deal, if however as I can't have this due to an allergy, advising the staff that I couldn't have the coleslaw because of the mayo and an allergy, surely would have suggested that I can't have it in the burger either. (Not mentioned on the menu either, or I could have pointed this out when ordering)

So anyway they had to make a new burger and I was told this would be 5 minutes (really? that's not really cooked then surely), anyway.. around 20-25 or so minutes later this came out, it was all right, nothing to write home about, chips were the usual fried offering, nothing special. I could only really eat the burger, couldn't face any more than a couple of the chips.

So after this fiasco, the waitresses were very apologetic didn't charge for the 2 pasta's or the vegetarian mess, however still fully expected me to pay for mine, I did but asked to speak to the manager which never turned up. Not too impressed with the overall experience of the GRIMada Hotel so far..

Anyway, I went to my room to settle in for the night, figured that I would check my emails and such on the free WiFi included, only to find that there isn't one or its not in range, I don't know which but either way there wasn't a WiFi to connect to. Tested 2 devices on it and just the same, nothing found in range but a obscure connection that kept dropping when trying to enter a password, so I used my phone's data connection instead (pretty good 3G signal on Orange/EE there mind you).

After that, I just went to bed, turned on the light above the bed, couldn't see a light there for the main one so went to turn out the lights by the door and off go all the lights.. put the main switch back on and the one near the bed plus one by the door comes on. No separate switch for that light that I can see, so try messing with combinations, then figure I'll try the bathroom light instead of the one above the bed, nope same deal.

After a few minutes of looking further around finally find one next to the other side of the bed, or where you would have thought the bed should have been placed by anyone sensible.. the beds had been put together to form a double bed, then moved over to one (bolted on the wall) side table, but not the one with the light switch.

So now at not far off midnight, I'm there having to move the furniture around just so that I can reach the switch from in the bed once i'm ready to go to sleep, without falling over stuff from the main door or having to climb out of bed to turn off the light from the further away switch.

Oh well anyway, beds were comfortable enough, pillows kind of hard, but nothing too bad...

So next morning, get up get sorted and then to shower found the Aqualiser (bars the spray water from sides in shower) leaking on the left side at the top, which resulted in water going all over and possibly not safe to use. The main shower head only had some nozzles working, though at least it was nice and warm/hot, (as the warnings did say it would be), on getting out of the shower, I was glad I'd put the bath mat down, because it was soaking wet, it would appear that the shower doors leak too.

So the last thing that I found rather interesting, was they provide you with an iron to use and an ironing board, a nice touch, however not so good when the iron is dirty and has something stuck to it, luckily it was firmly stuck (burned?) on and when testing with a wet towel it didn't stain that, so was safe to use on a shirt. A little worrying though when first seeing this.

On checkout, no one even bothered to ask how my stay was, though I politely handed them a little list of the things I found wrong with the room so that they had chance to fix them for the next guest. I find this a little unlikely that it will be fixed, however I've given them the chance.

Overall ratings: Very poor.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for your poor experience but please be assured I take all feedback seriously and do take action to improve our product and service.

The hotel was full the night of your stay and a large number of guests did dine in due to our popular “Eat as much as you like for £15” themed buffet. There were two chefs working that night. I have discussed you feedback with my Head Chef so he can coach his team to improve and review the wording of the burger on the menu. I apologize that the Duty Manager on duty that night did not see you, he was assisting another guest at the time. The gentleman who did see you was in charge of restaurant service that night and also acts as a Duty Manager several times a week.

The hotel does not offer wifi in the bedrooms and does not advertise this. Fixed wired internet access is available in the bedrooms and there is free wifi in the public areas. I am however pleased to inform you that the hotel is installing a new internet system shortly which does include wifi in all bedrooms.

In many of our bedrooms there is a switch by the entrance door that must be turned on for any other light switch to work and when switched off turns off all lighting; this is an environmental energy saving feature but can be confusing for our guests.

Unfortunately the Japanese shower jets in all rooms are leaking and cannot be fixed as the parts have been discontinued. I have already put forward a proposal to the owners to get these removed and capped; I await their authorization for these works.

My Head Housekeeper will take action regarding the iron and bed location that you highlighted.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to the Ramada. I must say our room was beautiful we had a suite, it was clean the Japanese shower was so powerful I could have it on fully. All of the staff whom we met during our stay were polite and very helpful. The grounds were beautifully maintained and much bigger than we remembered. The hotel does not have a swimming pool or gym facilities but we remembered from last time that we could access the university's facilities a short walk away and so we took full advantage of this. The pool was an Olympic size and the gym was fully equipped this was a free service. The breakfast was buffet and again I could not fault the service offered.
Well worth a visit if you are needing a break from travel into London or are going on further towards the midlands.

Room Tip: We had a suite this time it was excellent we were down a very quiet block at the back of the hotel o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review. I am delighted you found my team polite & helpful and found our breakfast faultless. I agree it is well worth a visit to the Hertfordshire Sports Village just a few minutes walk away to take advantage of their Olympic sized swimming pool and state-of-the-art gym - free to all Ramada Hatfield hotel guests! Many guests do not realize how big our grounds are and thanks to a local gardening firm are very well maintained and look stunning, especially in summer - ideal for weddings!
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are having a wedding next October, We have been looking at block booking about 20+ hotel rooms for family and friends. We were told a quote of £40.00 per night with breakfast over the phone, this sounded really good so I booked a meeting with the person who managed weddings and block booking. When we arrived we were met with indifference and told to take a seat, the person who we had booked the meeting with and who was meant to show us around then left us there for about a quarter of an hour before sending someone out to say she had another meeting and would not see us. We were then shown around by a member of desk staff, although she was friendly and polite she was not able to answer any of our questions. The rooms were average and not anything to write home about. We then asked about the price again and we were told actually no its £60.00 a night! A £20.00 jump! We were shocked and explained what we had been told on the phone, we were told that we must have imagined that price or been told the rate for the wrong day. I asked if they would honor the price I had it all written down and dated in my wedding book, they said no. The whole experience was very disappointing and made me not want to ever stay in this hotel or recommend it to anyone. They were rude, unhelpful and never called us back to ask what we had thought. The hotel was also rather grotty and unclean when we went around, a very unkempt air. We have just been to the Mercure Hatfield Oak hotel this morning. The difference was unbelievable! They were friendly, welcoming, clean, bright and were willing to bend over backwards for our special day. I would suggest to everyone and anyone to use them instead, the Comet has lost itself over 20 room booking's and money on their bar and restaurant. If you want comfort and good service don't go here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are disappointed and surprised to receive this review as we have a block booking for this guest in our system.
We would like Tripadvisor readers to note the following;
The lady in charge of group bookings did not arrange an appointment with this guest. As she was already in a meeting at the time the guest arrived she asked one of our Conference & Events Sales Executives who regularly conducts show rounds to meet this guest.
We have been unable to identify who the guest spoke to at the hotel to gain the quote of £40 and arrange the appointment.
The guest is having a wedding at Hatfield House and the hotel has negotiated a rate of £60 bed & breakfast per room with Hatfield House for referral business which is why this rate was quoted. This is a per room rate rather than a per person rate. It is unclear if the £40 was a per room or per person rate.
The Sales Executive who conducted the show round did not get the impression the guest was in any way unhappy and a block booking of 20 rooms was made. An e-mail confirming this block booking was sent to the guest on 26th March at 17:42. The same e-mail stated that the hotel would be in touch 6 weeks before the wedding for an update.
Boulogne-sur-Mer, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

As a tour Guide I stayed overnight last Saturday with a small group of French People. It was my first stay there and I would highly recommend this Hotel for its comfort and for the quality of service. The rooms were comfortable, beds were just perfect, everything was done for our stay to be at its best espacially by Emma, the young girl at the Reception desk who was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review. As a Tour Guide you are probably a more seasoned traveller than most so your kind comments regarding our quality service and room comfort mean a lot to the team. I will be sure to reward Emma for her helpful and friendly service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Watson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went to the Ramada with my son & his soccer (football) team from Canada who were on a soccer tour. Stayed for about 4 nights and was very pleased with the food and the rooms were comfy, warm & clean. Conveniently located across the street from the Galleria shopping mall. The staff were very helpful, friendly & courteous. Only being able to get WIFI in the restaurant/bar was a little inconvenient but I quite enjoyed the homey, living room feel of the restaurant/bar area. An elevator would have made getting my baggage upstairs much easier.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. So pleased to hear of your great experience. You will be pleased to hear that the hotel will shortly be installing a new internet service that will include wifi coverage in all the hotel bedrooms! The hotel does not have a lift but only has a ground and first floor; our helpful staff are always on hand to assist with luggage!
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

It's a great location for where I needed to be, although I have to say that there is a very limited choice of hotels in this area. The history of the hotel is without doubt so anyone interested in aviation history will be thrilled The hotel is within walking distance of the Galleria for other food options, but I would be reluctant to walk there alone.
Parking is free, provided that you enter your car reg, and this isn't always advised or made clear.
Reception seems fine, although if you are a member of the Wyndham rewards scheme you may need to remind them. I will say that it is unlikely that your points will be added automatically and you will need to make a claim via the Internet.
Public areas are great with a real sense of the Hotel's history. It can can be a bit of a maze when finding your room. You may also find someone discussing details of a photo of a historic plane while you are eating dinner in the bar. As a quick aside look at the nearby David Lloyd club, which was the control tower and aircraft hanger in the airfield's heyday.
Rooms are fine, nicely sized with good facilities, although get an upstairs one if possible. Bit of a pain when arriving / leaving with no lift but I did arrive back from a day's work to find my ground floor window wide open with no apparent means of locking it so easily opened from the outside. This was fixed after some debate with reception but a bit of a worry. Look for an upstairs Studio room if possible. Storage varies, with much more drawer space in the Studio rooms, and the current trend for open wardrobes in hotels continues here.
Internet is expensive at £12 / 24 hours and is wired only; wifi is only available in the bar / restaurant area. This does seem exceptionally expensive in the current day and age,
TV channels are a subset of current Freeview options in the rooms and I can't really see why this would be the case and is a disappointment. Sky is available in the bar for Sports etc.
The bar can get busy, especially as this is where free wifi is available, so get there early. Bar staff are excellent, as is the food. The restaurant menu is available in the bar if required.
An OK hotel, although with limited competition. I would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs Studio room. A bit of an issue on arrival / departure as there is no lift but less o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your 3 star review and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am delighted you found our bar staff and food excellent and would stay again. You will be pleased to hear that the hotel will shortly be installing a new Internet system which will extend wifi to all the bedrooms and the hotel does automatically add points to Wyndham Rewards members accounts for stays at the hotel so there is no need to make a claim via the Internet.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in the hotel,our first night was blissful,however it was soon to be ruined by lack of sleep due to a noisy coach party of American football teams.Slamming doors and shouting most of the night and early morning.We did report it to reception but dont know if anything was said to the party.Shame really because it was my wife's birthday and our anniversary weekend,so spoilt it slightly.However we are going back for a couple of nights in May so will give it another chance.Breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 4 star review. I am delighted you found my team friendly and our breakfast excellent. It is a shame other guests disturbed your sleep but I am pleased you are returning for another stay despite this. Please contact me directly on gm@ramadahatfieldhotel.co.uk so I can ensure we allocate you a quiet bedroom away from any groups on your return visit.

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!