“Lovely weekend” 5 of 5 stars

18 Southdown Road, Harpenden AL5 1PE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Harpenden
“Lovely weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I took my wife here for a surprise weekend away, very impressed! The hotel is very nice, the room was amazing, huge, with a very nice bathroom. The 1st night we had a meal in the hotel restaurant, very nice food and good service, the 2nd night we ate in Harpenden which is a lively town, lots of nice restaurants and bars. We also had breakfast in the hotel 2 mornings, plenty to choose from. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will return at some point.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel's management of the wedding couldn't have been better. The ceremony organisation, room setting as specified by the couple, meal and evening buffet were all perfect. Thank you very much.

However our room was very poor and we slept very badly due to aweful bedding, temperature and noise. A light didn't work and the shower had to be set to scolding to finally obtain tepid water. No blanket was provided for the baby's cot.

This is supposed to be an AA **** hotel and they kindly gave us 20% off when we reported the the problems however this is not what we would have got from a Premier Inn or even a Travel Lodge, who each give 100% refunds when they fail to acheive the advertised standard. Premier Inn even give the refund at the desk without necessitating a letter of complaint to head office, very professional.

From other reviews I get the impression that the quality has declined in recent months.

Room Tip: Others have recently complained about the distant rooms but ours (no. 4) was in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Harpenden hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was told 48 hours from my departure, that the fine dining that I booked 5 weeks ago was cancelled as a private function was taking place there. They apologised twice for the inconvenience caused due to the error by the reservationist. But till then, the email and telephone service had been helpful. But at Harpenden House, the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. For 5 weeks, I got confirmatory emails for my stay and dining which actually did not exist. At one point, the person talking over the phone put me on hold to talk to her colleague and I could hear everything! Also, the conversation was not related to my booking. Not entirely professional. I did get a 100% refund though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here recently as it was convenient for our friends wedding. From the outside the hotel looks fantastic but our room was in a modernish extension. You don't then feel part fo the main hotel and the rooms are ok but nothing special. Everything is ok at this hotel but there's nothing to get excited about and if I was staying in Harpenden again I'd look for somewhere else to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My sister and I went to Afternoon Tea here with a TravelZoo voucher. The staff seemed friendly and the service was quick, the setting was lovely and the prosecco was a nice treat :) It was a little odd to be served sausage rolls but hey, that's just my opinion! The sandwiches were very tasty, as were the warm scones and I was pleasantly surprised that we were given more scones when we asked for them at no extra cost (wasn't expecting that from a "voucher experience"). All in all, it was a nice afternoon, I've had better Afternoon Tea experiences but this wasn't bad either.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was part of a party of four ladies today that were booked in for afternoon tea,it was one of the ladies birthday.When we arrived to check in we were informed by the duty manager that there had been some error as they had no booking for us.It had been booked two weeks ago and the lady that booked it telephoned a week ago to confirm the booking and was informed it was ok.The manner of this manager was very poor we were made to feel that we had done something wrong,he informed the ldy that had made the booking that because she had used vouchers he could not give her a refund.He offered us a little corner in the lounge and "see what he could do",we had come at a bad time they were expecting a funeral party so he mad it clear that the last thing they wanted was "afternoon tea".We all left very embarrassed and upset.We all agreed that we would step foot in there again not even for a free 3 course meal.The duty manager certainly needs training in customer care as he seems to lack it.We made our way to a local pub/restaurant we had a lovely meal and great hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here last weekend to meet friends for a reunion. My wife booked and I had no idea of cost and was pleasently suprised at the £65 bill. We did not eat, drink or have any contact with staff (other than the lovely receptionist) so cant comment.
A beautiful old hotel with a carbuncle of an extension but the room was lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Harpenden House Hotel? Share your experiences!