“Restaurant Review Only - beautiful food!” 5 of 5 stars

The Greenman
Fownhope HR1 4PE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Fownhope B&B and Inns
YORK
“Restaurant Review Only - beautiful food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

On a recent family holiday we came across this delightful pub. Walking in the first time with my husband and two children (Aged 7 and 5) I was a bit daunted, as the interior and menu were very high class and I thought that they may not welcome my rather lively children....how wrong was I. The man that served us was very attentive to my children and suggested that they might have the fish and chips. These arrived, along with a pasta and steak dish and were polished off without a word. They were later brought a complementary "cocktail" which they both thought was very grown up. We returned a few nights later and the service was just as good. A special mention for the ladies toilet that was so nice that my daughter insisted on going to the toilet several times over our two visits. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Thank you Green man for restoring my faith in 'Pub grub' - we were served by very nice waitress and had a really delicious lunch - setting and decor of green man is excellent and obv run with love and care.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We phoned the restaurant to book for the same evening and we were told that it was already fully booked. We were disappointed. However; the lady who took the booking asked us to come in at 8.30 and she said she would do her best to get us a table. When we arrived we were looked after by the staff members instantly. A table was found as we ordered drinks at the bar. I have travelled a lot in the UK (70 hotels / reviews) and I have to say that I was impressed by the service. The food was excellent too. 5 stars for this place is well desserved! Well done to the chef and the owners!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Four Marks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

Came here as had read some good reviews and we weren't disappointed. Staff were attentive but not over powering. Food was very good. Only gripe would be that they had sold out of the starter my husband and I would have liked, and at the end of the meal, we were the last ones in the restaurant and I think the staff forgot we were still there (tgey were chatting about the weekend) and we had to go and ask for the bill and pay at the bar. Dont get me wrong though... We had a lovely evening and would go back :)

• Stayed July 2011
hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Visited this restaurant, after many recommendations from friends and we were not disappointed.
We held our Wedding Reception here 27 years ago and The Green Man has changed immensely since then. It still retains the Country Inn feel, however the establishment has had a great deal of money spent on it recently, to make it one of the FINEST Country Inns in Herefordshire.
The menu was impressive, something to please everyone in the dining room. The wine list was very good too. The presentation of food was delightful and it tasted just as good.
Staff were pleasant and not too intrusive, always there to assist but not over-powering the diners.
The chef came and mingled with diners and asked if everyone was enjoying the food and asked for feedback which was a great touch. I feel that by doing this, it shows that he cares about his guests and that they feel valued too. He was not pompous but good fun!
The finishing touches to the Inn have been carefully thought out too. Beautiful quality scented candles burning in the corridors leading to the toilets and inside the ladies also. The evening was a memorable one and we shall return soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Sunday lunch at the Green Man was very good, atentive staff & good food, I had the beef with yorkshires and I must say I thought my mate Stewy was the Yorkshire Meister but these were much better than his. despite us having one of the last tables of the day the meat was still nice & pink. We will go back one weekend to see if dinner is as good?

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

This was an impromtu stay. We called for a meal on the way home from a 500 mile trip. Being fairly local we knew the rooms had recently been refurbished and decided to have a look. Well the big comfy bed, luxurious bathroom and tasteful fittings made the room (8) so inviting that we decided to stay. I'm glad that we did - we were very impressed with the food, the service, the room and the ambience. It was strange to feel like tourists so close to home but it also made us realise how much the location has going for it - Fownhope is a lovely village and there are great walks right from the door. I would certainly recommend a stay at The Green Man.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenman? Share your experiences!