“Been before, will come again, need of a spruce up perhaps?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grove Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Grove Hotel to your Saves list
The Grove Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London's Country Estate, Chandler's Cross WD3 4TG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
30% off room rate
Hemel Hempstead, UK
“Been before, will come again, need of a spruce up perhaps?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I've stayed at The Grove many times before, and I think it's fantastic. You know you are staying in quite a special hotel from the moment you turn into the grounds and see the majestic building on the hill and as you cross the canal and the golf course.

I've always been impressed with the quality and attentiveness of the staff as well. The staff as well are very friendly and discreet too. For instance, this hotel is the the hotel for the England soccer team, and the NFL guys stay here before playing Wembley as well. I would imagine one of the two clubs that make soccer cup finals as well would use this hotel as the journey to Wembley isn't actually that long. England had played against Poland a couple of days before I stayed and I asked a member of staff about the team being here and I got a very tactful response. This is obviously something the hotel has trained the staff which is very good.

The hotel promotes itself as London's Country House Hotel. It's about a 15 minute train journey from Watford Junction which itself is a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel. Alternatively, if you were driving from London it would take (depending on traffic conditions) about 40 minutes. The hotel itself is inside the M25 and about 20 minutes (traffic dependent) from Heathrow Airport.

Anyways, back to the hotel. I stayed in the "new" part of the hotel where my room was closer to the golf club house and the spa. Believe me, it's a bl@@dy long walk down long corridors if you are having a drink in the bar back to your room! If you get the ability to stay in the old house itself you will get a very different room experience than in the new rooms (I have stayed in both and really prefer the boutique hotel feel of the old house rooms and their unique shapes / sizes and quirkiness and so on).

This stay I was in the new rooms, and it struck me that the rooms haven't actually been spruced up since the place opened up. This is a high quality, well respected, known and high profile hotel, but the room friezes are still the same, none of the art has changed and I think it needs a refresh.

The food is very good - having eaten in the Glasshouse and the Stables on this occasion, but it isn't cheap. the staff are very good.

Can't comment on the cost of the wifi as I was staying as part of a conference, and the conference provided it.

The room was a god size, I was on the first floor and had a small balcony as well. My room overlooked the gardens and golf course (which I would HIGHLY recommend). The bed was big and nicely comfortable.

The bathroom was big - a roll top bath and a lovely sized shower. White company and Nutrogena toiletries and a modern bathroom. But, the sink is there more for show / fashion than utility - you needed to "waste" a great deal of water to be able to wash your face / shave etc.

In the room there is a safe, a large wardrobe, a safe, iron / ironing board. The room also has a very large SmartTV (which was probably new compared to the last time I came) but what's the point having a smartTV if you can't use the smartTV functions???

The way you are treated when you play golf is amazing. You are made to feel special. Even down at the practice ground you know you are at a great course - Tiger Woods smashed it here when he played the American Express tournament a good few years ago. The course as well is really good too. Not much water comes into play (3rd and 4th spring to mind, but that's about all)

This is a lovely hotel; I visit regularly and really like it; I just think it needs something to spruce it up. Otherwise, don't change a thing!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear SubaruDriver,
Thank you for your positive review of The Grove. If I may clarify one point, WiFi is provided throughout The Grove complimentary for all our guests so you needn't worry about any hidden fees. I am delighted we were able to welcome you back to The Grove and I look forward to your next visit.

1,293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

loved the grove , we eat at the glasshouse also and again food was excellent ,
room was beautiful with fantastic views , great bathroom with roll top bath , and fab shower
spa and pool also beautiful
be careful if you struggle with long wals i was in 278 and it was a long way from the lift in reception to my room about 7 different corridors and not that well signposted
but being picky here this place is a must stay around this area
yes i will be back again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Latman1966,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am so pleased you had an excellent stay with us whilst on business and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a great weekend at the Grove - we booked treatments and dinners in advance which apparently you have to as there are day guests visiting the hotel for the weekend. It was nice to know we would have somewhere to eat dinner and while I understand the necessity of booking spa treatments in advance, it did very much take the spontaneity from our day activities (but we have to be back at the spa in 35 mins! We have to be at the restaurant in an hour..) I am a hotel guest - i thought you might have kept a table or two for us. There are lots of facilities, we especially loved the walled garden. A few niggles - our key cards to enter the garden never worked and we had to get the cards replaced once a day. We wanted to play tennis - the pro on the court next to us made it very clear which balls we were allowed to use and which ones not ("the wilson ones are mine!!") - it might have just been a hot day.. and it did take a few attempts to order a soda and lime at the pool but hey, the sun was out and it was summer.

The dinners were lovely - we tried both the fine dining option and the stables which we prefered. Pascuale was very helpful during our breakfast - much nicer option than the glasshouse buffett.
It was also remarkable how it was first absolutely impossible to order a negroni as an aperitif although the menu invited us to ask for what the bar could do - after 15 mins and an intervention of one of the more senior staff we did get the drink and while it was excellent, it did make us wonder how it went from impossible to a great cocktail.

The real joy of this hotel aside from the stunning garden and golf course is the Sequoia Spa. Our treatments were amazing and truly relaxing - go and spend time in the vitality pool....in fact I was so impressed by the Spa that I wanted to treat my pregnant friend to the mother to be treatment that my therapist who was amazing was recommending. My friend was obviously very happy when I told her about my amazing weekend and was very much looking forward to coming.

I then tried to make a booking over the telephone. I wasnt exactly sure which treatment to go for and tried to ask the lady on the booking hotline. Unfortunately she seemed to be in a rush. So much as when I told her that I hadnt necessarily planned to stay over (I didnt get to say that I probably would have if that was required) she more or less said, well we dont offer day passes for the spa on the weekend if you are not staying over. Sorry cant help you Goodbye - which left me pretty stunned on the phone. I didnt find out what other options there would have been and now I never will. Given I had spent over 1200 GBP for this weekend without even going mad on treatments and activities and I was trying to be a loyal guest and to come back it would have been nice if I had been helped rather than hung up on. Its a great hotel but the service at this end really lacked any understanding of what I have experienced in other Leading Hotels of the World.

Room Tip: Vitality pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear reb1978,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We ask all our guests to book spa, golf and dining requests in advance to avoid disappointment. I am sorry you felt rushed when trying to book your friend an experience at The Grove and I will ensure this is fed back to our team. I do hope we are able to welcome you and your friend to The Grove in the near future.

Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at The Grove. The surroundings are just beautiful and the service is excellent. The rooms are spacious and bright. The bathroom is beautiful with a roll top bath and separate shower. And the friendly, helpful staff really topped off our stay. The location is a very easy 25 minute freeway drive from Heathrow. We really should have stayed longer to enjoy the spa and gold course.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear BEandBL,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove and I am delighted that we were able to welcome you all the way from Australia. I hope we may have the pleasure of your company again for a round of golf or time in Sequoia (our spa).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Being fortunate enough to have stayed in some amazing hotels throughout the world (mainly through work) I feel confident in saying that the Grove, with it's perfect blend of stately elegance and homely comfort, surpasses expectation of a 5* luxury hotel in every way. It is the small things that they do so very well, subtle touches that make your stay just right.

We had dinner in the Glasshouse restaurant which was a gastanomic experience catering for every taste and big appetites, followed by drinks in the lounge bar area which is one of my favourite parts of this hotel, and the expresso martinis are amazing!!

Even though this is the third time I've visited, this hotel never fails to impress me whether it's because of the attentive staff, the beautiful spa or the relaxed surroundings, I always leave feeling rejuvenated, totally spoiled and a little sad to be going back to London.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katy F,
Thank you for choosing to return to The Grove and for your Excellent review. I am so pleased you noticed all the small details we make to ensure our guests feel at home and you were able to leave feeling rejuvenated. I do hope we may have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Spent two days - one night - here on a strategy conference with one of the major plc's I work with. Have to say that these sort of things can be a bit sterile but I thought this place, and this location, were just about spot on.

We had an exclusive check-in which was handled exceptionally well. The meeting room was light and airy and good for a big round-table debate. The catering during the day was also of the highest order and the attention to detail again good.

The staff were brilliantly helpful throughout and the rooms are decently sized and well serviced.

Our formal dinner was okay - not the best - but all other table meals, including breakfast, excelled.

All-in-all very professional indeed, and just the right tone for the event we had in mind.

Room Tip: Nothing to add
Dear Gary H,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I will be delighted to share your kind words with the team and hope we may welcome you again very soon.

Loughton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in the Mansion for an overnight 'Spa Sleepover' package and whilst the food, surroundings, and service were all excellent we felt let down by attention to detail for a hotel in this price range:

Several dead flies in the room
Mould in the shower and around the window
Lose curtain rail which someone had already attempted to repair with glue
Dirty mirrors in bathroom
Missing tiles in the Spa jacuzzi, many blown lights, and the men's relaxation room closed due to 'refurbishment'.

These aren't the sort of things I would normally complain about but when you're paying over £1000 a night I would expect better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin B,
Thank you for choosing The Grove for your spa break. I am sorry to read of the housekeeping issues you have raised and I will discuss these with our team immediately. Needless to say these are not the high standards we set ourselves and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel
#1 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
4.5 of 5 stars 162 reviews

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!