I've stayed at The Grove many times before, and I think it's fantastic. You know you are staying in quite a special hotel from the moment you turn into the grounds and see the majestic building on the hill and as you cross the canal and the golf course.
I've always been impressed with the quality and attentiveness of the staff as well. The staff as well are very friendly and discreet too. For instance, this hotel is the the hotel for the England soccer team, and the NFL guys stay here before playing Wembley as well. I would imagine one of the two clubs that make soccer cup finals as well would use this hotel as the journey to Wembley isn't actually that long. England had played against Poland a couple of days before I stayed and I asked a member of staff about the team being here and I got a very tactful response. This is obviously something the hotel has trained the staff which is very good.
The hotel promotes itself as London's Country House Hotel. It's about a 15 minute train journey from Watford Junction which itself is a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel. Alternatively, if you were driving from London it would take (depending on traffic conditions) about 40 minutes. The hotel itself is inside the M25 and about 20 minutes (traffic dependent) from Heathrow Airport.
Anyways, back to the hotel. I stayed in the "new" part of the hotel where my room was closer to the golf club house and the spa. Believe me, it's a bl@@dy long walk down long corridors if you are having a drink in the bar back to your room! If you get the ability to stay in the old house itself you will get a very different room experience than in the new rooms (I have stayed in both and really prefer the boutique hotel feel of the old house rooms and their unique shapes / sizes and quirkiness and so on).
This stay I was in the new rooms, and it struck me that the rooms haven't actually been spruced up since the place opened up. This is a high quality, well respected, known and high profile hotel, but the room friezes are still the same, none of the art has changed and I think it needs a refresh.
The food is very good - having eaten in the Glasshouse and the Stables on this occasion, but it isn't cheap. the staff are very good.
Can't comment on the cost of the wifi as I was staying as part of a conference, and the conference provided it.
The room was a god size, I was on the first floor and had a small balcony as well. My room overlooked the gardens and golf course (which I would HIGHLY recommend). The bed was big and nicely comfortable.
The bathroom was big - a roll top bath and a lovely sized shower. White company and Nutrogena toiletries and a modern bathroom. But, the sink is there more for show / fashion than utility - you needed to "waste" a great deal of water to be able to wash your face / shave etc.
In the room there is a safe, a large wardrobe, a safe, iron / ironing board. The room also has a very large SmartTV (which was probably new compared to the last time I came) but what's the point having a smartTV if you can't use the smartTV functions???
The way you are treated when you play golf is amazing. You are made to feel special. Even down at the practice ground you know you are at a great course - Tiger Woods smashed it here when he played the American Express tournament a good few years ago. The course as well is really good too. Not much water comes into play (3rd and 4th spring to mind, but that's about all)
This is a lovely hotel; I visit regularly and really like it; I just think it needs something to spruce it up. Otherwise, don't change a thing!
- Also Known As:
- Grove Chandlers Cross
- Grove Hotel Chandlers Cross
- The Grove Hotel UK/Hertfordshire, England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grove, London's country estate, is more than a five-star hotel. Set in 300 acres and only 18 miles from central London, the former home of the Earls of Clarendon is also a luxury 18-hole golf resort, a fabulous spa and unique venue for meetings, weddings and celebrations. Also included in The Grove's extensive facilities are three restaurants including Colette’s, awarded three AA rosettes. A 4acre Walled Garden with urban beach, tennis courts and outdoor pool. A selection of bike and jogging trials to enjoy with complimentary bike hire; and Anouska’s Kids’ Club, graded outstanding by OFSTED makes The Grove a parent and child-friendly resort. Lovingly restored to stunning effect, the property fuses contemporary design and original period architecture with exceptionally caring and professional service. We look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your The Grove Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.