“Great hotel but dont bother being a loyal customer” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Grove Hotel to your Saves list
Hotels.com Agoda.com
The Grove Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   London's Country Estate, Chandler's Cross WD3 4TG, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel but dont bother being a loyal customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a great weekend at the Grove - we booked treatments and dinners in advance which apparently you have to as there are day guests visiting the hotel for the weekend. It was nice to know we would have somewhere to eat dinner and while I understand the necessity of booking spa treatments in advance, it did very much take the spontaneity from our day activities (but we have to be back at the spa in 35 mins! We have to be at the restaurant in an hour..) I am a hotel guest - i thought you might have kept a table or two for us. There are lots of facilities, we especially loved the walled garden. A few niggles - our key cards to enter the garden never worked and we had to get the cards replaced once a day. We wanted to play tennis - the pro on the court next to us made it very clear which balls we were allowed to use and which ones not ("the wilson ones are mine!!") - it might have just been a hot day.. and it did take a few attempts to order a soda and lime at the pool but hey, the sun was out and it was summer.

The dinners were lovely - we tried both the fine dining option and the stables which we prefered. Pascuale was very helpful during our breakfast - much nicer option than the glasshouse buffett.
It was also remarkable how it was first absolutely impossible to order a negroni as an aperitif although the menu invited us to ask for what the bar could do - after 15 mins and an intervention of one of the more senior staff we did get the drink and while it was excellent, it did make us wonder how it went from impossible to a great cocktail.

The real joy of this hotel aside from the stunning garden and golf course is the Sequoia Spa. Our treatments were amazing and truly relaxing - go and spend time in the vitality pool....in fact I was so impressed by the Spa that I wanted to treat my pregnant friend to the mother to be treatment that my therapist who was amazing was recommending. My friend was obviously very happy when I told her about my amazing weekend and was very much looking forward to coming.

I then tried to make a booking over the telephone. I wasnt exactly sure which treatment to go for and tried to ask the lady on the booking hotline. Unfortunately she seemed to be in a rush. So much as when I told her that I hadnt necessarily planned to stay over (I didnt get to say that I probably would have if that was required) she more or less said, well we dont offer day passes for the spa on the weekend if you are not staying over. Sorry cant help you Goodbye - which left me pretty stunned on the phone. I didnt find out what other options there would have been and now I never will. Given I had spent over 1200 GBP for this weekend without even going mad on treatments and activities and I was trying to be a loyal guest and to come back it would have been nice if I had been helped rather than hung up on. Its a great hotel but the service at this end really lacked any understanding of what I have experienced in other Leading Hotels of the World.

Room Tip: Vitality pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear reb1978,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We ask all our guests to book spa, golf and dining requests in advance to avoid disappointment. I am sorry you felt rushed when trying to book your friend an experience at The Grove and I will ensure this is fed back to our team. I do hope we are able to welcome you and your friend to The Grove in the near future.

1,198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Wagga Wagga, NSW, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at The Grove. The surroundings are just beautiful and the service is excellent. The rooms are spacious and bright. The bathroom is beautiful with a roll top bath and separate shower. And the friendly, helpful staff really topped off our stay. The location is a very easy 25 minute freeway drive from Heathrow. We really should have stayed longer to enjoy the spa and gold course.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear BEandBL,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove and I am delighted that we were able to welcome you all the way from Australia. I hope we may have the pleasure of your company again for a round of golf or time in Sequoia (our spa).

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Being fortunate enough to have stayed in some amazing hotels throughout the world (mainly through work) I feel confident in saying that the Grove, with it's perfect blend of stately elegance and homely comfort, surpasses expectation of a 5* luxury hotel in every way. It is the small things that they do so very well, subtle touches that make your stay just right.

We had dinner in the Glasshouse restaurant which was a gastanomic experience catering for every taste and big appetites, followed by drinks in the lounge bar area which is one of my favourite parts of this hotel, and the expresso martinis are amazing!!

Even though this is the third time I've visited, this hotel never fails to impress me whether it's because of the attentive staff, the beautiful spa or the relaxed surroundings, I always leave feeling rejuvenated, totally spoiled and a little sad to be going back to London.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katy F,
Thank you for choosing to return to The Grove and for your Excellent review. I am so pleased you noticed all the small details we make to ensure our guests feel at home and you were able to leave feeling rejuvenated. I do hope we may have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Spent two days - one night - here on a strategy conference with one of the major plc's I work with. Have to say that these sort of things can be a bit sterile but I thought this place, and this location, were just about spot on.

We had an exclusive check-in which was handled exceptionally well. The meeting room was light and airy and good for a big round-table debate. The catering during the day was also of the highest order and the attention to detail again good.

The staff were brilliantly helpful throughout and the rooms are decently sized and well serviced.

Our formal dinner was okay - not the best - but all other table meals, including breakfast, excelled.

All-in-all very professional indeed, and just the right tone for the event we had in mind.

Room Tip: Nothing to add
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gary H,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I will be delighted to share your kind words with the team and hope we may welcome you again very soon.

Loughton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in the Mansion for an overnight 'Spa Sleepover' package and whilst the food, surroundings, and service were all excellent we felt let down by attention to detail for a hotel in this price range:

Several dead flies in the room
Mould in the shower and around the window
Lose curtain rail which someone had already attempted to repair with glue
Dirty mirrors in bathroom
Missing tiles in the Spa jacuzzi, many blown lights, and the men's relaxation room closed due to 'refurbishment'.

These aren't the sort of things I would normally complain about but when you're paying over £1000 a night I would expect better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin B,
Thank you for choosing The Grove for your spa break. I am sorry to read of the housekeeping issues you have raised and I will discuss these with our team immediately. Needless to say these are not the high standards we set ourselves and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Fantastic,fabulous,this was a Birthday treat for our son, who loves staying in hotels, and in his words "WOW", he loved the Glasshouse, and the amazing selection of food, the beef was a real hit, kept going back a few times, the ambience of the glasshouse was relaxing and you didn,t feel the need to rush, staff, friendly,professional,whilst not being intrusive.

The room was amazing, loved the little touch's, dressing gown and slipper's,toiletries, tea/coffee station I loved, room service,so quick, I called for more milk and coffee, and it arrived in 7 minutes, this was my" wow", I have stayed in many hotels and have never had this experiance.
The grounds and gardens are awsome, (we need to go back and explore again)

So we say a huge THANK YOU, to The Grove and its team.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Dear kazsunshineblues,
Thank you for choosing to bring your family to The Grove and for taking the time to post your Excellent review. I am so pleased your son had a wonderful birthday treat. I will be delighted to share your kind words with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We wanted to thank a friend for all she had done for us. We were as delighted with the experience as she was. A spectacular setting, considerate personal service, a selection of foods enough for an army and all a taste treat. From Hors d'ouvre, to a fish feast,carvery and even mix your own Asian Chef. We could not fault it and wished we played golf to take advantage of their course. We had been before to a private party which was as good. We would endorse their excellent reputation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Alistair M,
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable evening with us in The Glasshouse and I hope we may see you again soon. Perhaps, with the golf clubs?!

Jonathan Critchard

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!