“Birthday treat” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Glasshouse restaurant is tucked away inside The Grove at Chandler's Cross - a luxury country house hotel set in 300 acres of woodlands in Hertfordshire. This lively, informal restaurant is nicknamed the 'theatre of cooking' as its chef prepare British, Asian and Mediterranean dishes in spectacular style, then serve them buffet-style for everyone to enjoy. The Glasshouse is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the dining room is decorated with contemporary chandeliers, a backlit bar, floor to ceiling windows with views of the hotel's formal gardens, and designer chairs. Popular with fashionable hotel residents and locals for breakfast meetings, business lunches and relaxed evening meals, The Glasshouse is a fun and stylish dining destination.Please note this restaurant only takes bookings one month in advance.
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I really didn't want to enjoy my meal at The Glasshouse as I have had a bad experience in the past at the hotel, however on this occasion our trip to The Glasshouse was just lovely. Amazing food, a new Head Chef who greeted us and chatted to our young son about the food, a great choice (although the thai curry was way too hot for me!) and friendly and attentive service. We will be back but as it is very expensive we might have to wait a while! Great for a special occasion with a group of friends.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

a selection of food to die for. would recommend to anyone. The scenery is great and the selection is also great

Visited August 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We dined here for our first wedding anniversary and it was outstanding. Service was excellent and food was out of this world - so much choice!

Visited July 2014
“Disappointingly poor value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We ate here last night as a family group for a 60th birthday celebration. We were a little confused on arrival to not be immediately shown to our table although I do understand that some people might be wanting a cocktail or drink first. We were rather left wondering if we were expected to find our own table!

The two waitresses were very attentive although I do question the need for them to fold the napkins every time we left the table for the buffet. The starters were good but the main course left a lot to be desired. I chose the beef at the carvery which was a very fatty slice with a lump of meat attached. Very unappetising ! Then the server immediately brought out a fresh piece for the lady after me! Of course I should have made a fuss but couldn't quite believe what had happened. The Yorkshire puddings were cold but the vegetables well cooked.

The food is ok but when you think what you're paying..........! A very basic carvery and to be honest not nearly as good as others much cheaper in the area. The desserts were also nothing special.

I tend to agree with previous reviewers that The Glasshouse relies on its lovely setting and 'posh' reputation to retain its popularity. We also found that the food is not replenished soon enough- the gravy was virtually empty when I got to it.

We did enjoy our evening but this was despite the food I'm afraid. Shame.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Crosby, Isle of Man
“Not quite five star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Staff very friendly but failed to meet standards at all times such as bringing finger wash bowls even though twice saying they would, and jug of water never did make the table. Great selection of food, desserts had gone a bit dry and I think sponges should always be fresh. May be petty but for the price I expect 100% quality. Saying that, I would eat there again.

• Visited July 2014