“Private dinning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

You added Montagu Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Montagu Arms Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palace Lane, Beaulieu, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
New Forest National Park, United Kingdom
“Private dinning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We had private dinning with friends at the Montagu Arms Hotel and had a great time; the service and attention we were given was excellent. Every detail of the evening was well planned and the food was superb. The staff made us feel so welcome that I wouldn't hesitate in coming back again. The hotel had a lot of character and was very welcoming, it was just like having your own Manor House!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Mananger at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Mala, Thank you very much for your 5 star rated review of your recent private dining experience with us and for taking the time to mention the excellent high standards of service which you received. I have passed these lovely comments and your superb feedback about the food to the Restaurant Manager–Pierre and Head Chef–Matthew respectively. It really is such a pleasure to look after local people like yourselves who choose us for their special celebration or to simply just get together and relax with friends.

Sunil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Okay, so let me first say that i live 10 minuets away from this hotel, so i have known about it for longer than i care to mention. We had a friends party at a nearby hotel and decided to treat ourselves to a night away at the Montagu Arms. The room was amazing, the staff and service were amazing. It is expensive and parts of the hotel do look a bit dated but that is what helps gives this hotel its character, and i am sure in time these small touches will get improved.

The breakfast in the morning again was amazing, all freshly made and locally sourced, probably the best full english i have ever had. I stay away a lot for business and normally stay well clear of a full breakfast. This was certainly not an option here, top marks to the chef.

So, what was my issue, and i am saying this just so other guests who find themselves in a similar scenario can at least be prepared for it.

We had a party we had to get to for about 7:30-8pm, there would be some buffet food later in the evening but nothing major as it was quite a small private party. So our plan was to arrive at the hotel about 4:30pm have some food, get ready and go out.

We arrived at the hotel and as expected the Michelin star restaurant was not open for service until around 7pm (which was absolutely fine because it was never our intention to eat there). the hotel dose have a pub/bar attached to it that as far as i know is part of the hotel (montys) so we thought great sorted ourselves out and headed to the bar for a quick drink and some bar food. Well that was the issue the bar was also not serving food until the same time as the restaurant. Unless of course you count bags of crisps.

Now come 5pm everything in Beaulieu shuts, as a very small village there is not a great deal there anyway for food. So we were left with no option. it was like being in the olden days where pubs would only serve from 12-3 and 7-9pm.

we asked the bar staff what they would do and were told nothing (even thou the chefs were in the kitchen). Note also that there was no option to order room service food. Now my wife ended up storming out as she was livid with the attitude. I decided to stay and finish my pint, and after some very very lengthly conversations with the bar manager i managed to get a ham sandwich. So at least we had something to eat.

so a word of advice if you are staying at this hotel, and not planning to dine in the restaurant, you should ensure that you make a provision for eating, because between 3pm-7pm there is nothing on offer.

This stay was in December, it is now May, and it still annoys me! In a place like Beaulieu i do not understand the business sense in not serving bar food all day, this is common now, i think they need to bring their timings up to date, if would be great for business.

Moan over, this is a great hotel, i hope this review dose not put you off staying as it is not the intention but just making you aware of what i feel is something that could have quite an impact on your stay if you are not prepared.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very valued feedback in this review and as with all feedback whether positive or negative it is important that you tell us so that we can put right anything which needs correcting.

I am delighted to read your very positive comments over your bedroom, our very loyal staff and our standards of service. This really is very much appreciated.

With our on going maintenance programme we are constantly striving to give some TLC to those areas which are in need of some attention by our maintenance team.

I have already passed on your kind comments to Chef about how much your enjoyed your New Forest Marque Breakfast.

I would now like to take the time to apologise, explain and respond to your disappointment over the issue which you have raised concerning the fact that you could not be served any food before you went out for the evening.

As you have already mentioned, Beaulieu is a small quiet New Forest Village and like the Montagu Arms Hotel relies on visitors and tourists alike to the area for its trade.

With this in mind in low season our opening hours are planned accordingly as it simply does not justify being open between lunch and dinner service. Whilst during high season (summer months) Monty’s is open all day for snacks and sandwiches.

Having said all this I am really sorry that you were not aware of the Guest Information Folder in your bedroom with our room service menu inside, as sandwiches can be ordered from this menu by our residents 24 hours a day 7 days a week regardless of the season.

It is also not an uncommon sight to see a member of the restaurant team cooking some fries to accompany the guests’ sandwich order if the kitchen fryers are still hot from service.

If you should ever encounter any disappointments during any future stays please raise your concerns to the Duty Manager at the time who I can assure you will go that extra mile for the guests to ensure their stay is as enjoyable as possible.

I would like to personally thank you for your time to bring your disappointments to my attention and at the same time express how very sorry I am that your experience was somewhat marred by the above.

I am grateful that the object was not to put others off coming to stay with us (as you have kindly mentioned this fact in your review).

Also and very importantly I am delighted that your disappointments do not appear to have deterred you from returning again too.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to Welcome you back soon.

Pembrokeshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I were due to stay in April to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but had to postpone until May because of ill health. When we attended in May we were once again treated like royalty. We have stayed at the Montagu Arms Hotel on and off for a good number of years and it has never failed to impress.

Every part of our visit, from the beautiful room, which was made all the more special by a thoughtful wedding anniversary gift, balloon and card, to the exquisite food created by inspired chef Matthew Tomkinson and served by a dedicated staff, was sublime. It is easy to understand how the hotel has received so many of the highest awards for both food and service!

Our sincere thanks and best wishes to Restaurant Manager, Pierre, and Bar Manager, Paul, who looked after our every need so well; they are a true credit to the Resident Manager, Sunil, and to the Montagu Arms hotel.

My wife and I are very much looking forward to planning our next trip to Beaulieu, and in the meantime we shall savour our memories of our little break.

Buckingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We decided to give ourselves a treat for our wedding anniversary and booked a night away at the Montagu Arms. From our arrival we realised that this had been an excellent decision. This is a very pretty hotel set in a lovely location close to Beaulieu Palace in the beautiful New Forest. Our room was No 7 Chestnut which was a lovely suite looking out over the Beaulieu grounds. It had a 'Four Poster' and a Chaise Longe as well as a bay window with bench seating right around. All of the hotel facilities were first class but the service was second to none. We were greeted warmly and all the staff made sure that we had a very pleasant stay with lots of nice little extra touches. We had a meal in Monty's which is the attached pub and the food was excellent though you could also dine in the Michelin starred restaurant. This is not a cheap night away but it was excellent value and we would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and go for a suite - you know you are worth it!
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this superb 5 Star Rated Review and I am thrilled to hear that your Anniversary Treat was so memorable.

Whilst Monty’s Inn Dining is a much less formal affair here, our aim is to make it every bit as memorable as our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant Dining. I am thrilled to hear that this is being achieved especially as Monty’s Head Chef puts such immense thought and effort into creating his menus, always ensuring that his dishes appeal to all tastes and budgets.

Your amazing feedback over our facilities, standards of service and those little extra touches are really appreciated.

Finally I would like to extend my sincere thanks for your recommendation to others…thank you.

I hope your time will permit you to return very soon, please keep an eye on our website for our Special Offers.

Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Montague Arms is a beautiful hotel in Beaulieu with so much character and history it's difficult to sum up. The rooms are large and comfortable, the bathrooms bright and clean, the food for breakfast was excellent and the food in the adjoining Montys Inn was superb (about £90 total for 3 courses each and 2 bottles of red wine).

The bed was incredibly comfortable, the curtains blocked out any outside light, and there IS complimentary WiFi.

From the road the hotel looks fairly small but once inside you realise it's rather a labyrinth of corridors and is home to over 30 rooms of varying standards, with the dining room, bar area, sitting room and gardens to the rear all being very spacious.

Service was excellent with a complimentary paper and tea/coffee in the morning delivered to your room, and the staff were all very polite and helpful.

The walls in the corridors are adorned with images and information about previous famous guests who have been to the hotel, including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Henry Ford (dined there after getting lost in the New Forest!) and many more.

The only thing to really be aware of is the price for the Michelin star restaurant which is part of the hotel. At £70 a head for 3 courses and the cheapest bottle of red on offer for £44, it's a treat which you'll probably want to save for rather than being surprised by on arrival. A 7 course taster menu was also on offer for I think £85 a head. I suppose most people staying in this hotel can afford that kind of outlay without blinking but for those of us looking for something special as a one off it's quite a lot after also paying for the hotel.

We'll definitely be back, but for me its a beautiful luxury rather than somewhere I can afford to go to regularly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your trip advisor review of our Charming 17th Century Country House Hotel, as you have so rightly described ‘full of character and history’.

I totally agree that what is seen outside, does not reflect the amazing inside of the Montagu Arms, which really is a very warm and welcoming place to stay or visit.

I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy the very old photographs around the hotel some of which date back to the 1920s and you will have noticed there have not been many changes at all to the Hotel in almost a century which in the fast paced way of life these days is something to truly cherish.

There is no doubt that your very valued feedback of our standards of service by our very dedicated team, mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve. The Team are trained to deliver a very personal, warm and friendly but unobtrusive service to our guests. How fantastic to hear this is being achieved.

I am sorry to hear that you found our Michelin Star Restaurant and our wines to be expensive.

Regarding your your concern over the price of our wines, our very knowledgeable Head Sommelier - David Kubler has gained a vast wealth of experience having worked at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck and the very impressive Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saisons, uses his wisdom to get the balance right of the wines we can offer with price. At this point I feel I should just mention that our wines start from £25.00 per bottle.

I am delighted to hear that the above mentioned did not mar your dining experience and as with all of our very valued guests feedback can assure you that your comments, especially over the wine, has been taken on board. Thank you for raising this.

Whether our guests come to stay to celebrate something very special or to just get away from it all, we have various bedroom types to suit all budgets and personal requirements. Our bedroom gallery can be easily viewed online and all of the bedrooms are just as luxurious in their own unique way.

I am delighted to hear that you plan to return and please keep your eye on our website for those Special Offers like our current midweek B&B or DBB Breaks.

Thank you for all your lovely comments with our five star rating and in the process recommending us to others.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Beautiful setting and lovely hotel with picture perfect gardens. Staff friendly and cannot do enough for you. Room comfortable with lovely little extras - homemade biscuits, fresh milk. Breakfast really good - fresh eggs from hens at end of garden! When we left we got a 'journey bag' with fruit and water - really lovely touches! We hope to return again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Your review summing up all the memorable highlights of your stay really is lovely and an absolute pleasure to read!

Thanks to our very devoted gardeners we have such impeccable and perfectly maintained gardens throughout the year for our guests to enjoy, with the lovely sounds of the visiting wild birds constantly singing in the background.

I must especially thank you for noticing and describing those extra special touches which we like to offer our guests to help make their stay ‘extra special’.

Thank you for this review with our wonderful 5 Star Rating.

I hope to Welcome you back very soon.

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I chose to stay at the Montagu Arms for our 20th Wedding Anniversary, and we couldn't have made a better selection. From the moment we entered the hotel we were made to feel welcome, and the consierge greeted us with 'Happy Anniversary'. We had an Anniversary card with chocolates and a balloon in our room, so we instantly felt at home. The room was clean and well-appointed with a lovely bathroom. In the evening we celebrated with a wonderful dinner in the hotel. The food was outstanding, and the somelier's expertise was most welcome. Throughout our stay the staff were friendly and helpful. All of which made our celebratory mini-break truly memorable. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Montagu Arms to anyone, especially for a quiet romantic break!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this superb review and I am thrilled to hear that we made your Anniversary Celebration so memorable.

We are a warm and very welcoming family run hotel who cares very much for our guests and their needs to make their stay perfect in every way.

This is truly reflected with feedback such as yours concerning the high standards of professional yet unobtrusive customer service we offer.

Equally I am so delighted to read your fantastic Michelin Star Dining experience feedback and I am pleased that David Kubler our expert Sommelier with his wealth of wine knowledge was on hand to help suggest the perfect wine choices to complement your meal.

I am so delighted that you liked your card, balloon and chocolates. Special touches such as these are just one of the many ways in which we like to surprise our guests and in the process make their stay that extra bit special.

Thank you for all your lovely comments with our five star rating and for recommending us to others.

Sunil

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!