“Montagu Arms Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Save Saved
You added Montagu Arms Hotel to your Saves list
Montagu Arms Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palace Lane, Beaulieu, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZL, England   |
Announcement
Michelin Star Success
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Andover, United Kingdom
“Montagu Arms Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Sometimes when you read a review about a hotel in the national press you can be very disappointed when you visit. We read an excellent review regarding the chef and his cuisine in the Daily Telegraph about the Montagu Arms Hotel. After our stay of 4 nights we can cantegorically state that the review did not do justice. The hotel staff, in every department, were most welcoming, most helpful and always had some good advice and with a smile on their face. The food was out of this world, locally sourced, beautifully cooked to order, superbly presented with fantastic tastes. The restaurant staff were very knowledgeable about the menu and the service was impeccable. The local members of staff were delighted to advise you of places in the New Forest to visit that you might not be aware of and it was so good to be able to have very interesting conversations with the bar and restaurant staff. The members of management were always available to speak to and the resident manager and his team are to be complimented on running a very top hotel.
If you want a super break in the New Forest with every comfort and michelin star food cooked to order the Montagu Arms is the place for you.

Room Tip: Just tell the receptionist of your requirements in advance and they will do everything possible to a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
It was a real pleasure to have you and your wife staying at the Montagu Arms Hotel and I would like to personally thank you very much for sparing some time to review us after your recent four night stay. Thank you also once again for your very kind letter.

It is so fantastic for all the staff to receive reviews such as yours and I was absolutely thrilled to pass your feedback back on to the teams!

In short your kind mention of our food, service and everything which the Montagu Arms Hotel represents is very much appreciated.

Comments such as these reflect our vision, ethics and everything which we believe makes us stand out from the rest!

We all look forward to Welcoming you both back again in the near future and once again thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband took me to stay here for 3 days as a birthday surprise. It's very quaint "what I call" a proper English country hotel. We got upgraded to a suite as the restaurant is not open on a tuesday night and that was when my husband originally organised the taster menu for my birthday. [staff error]. We ate next door at Monty's [same kitchen]. Our suite was lovely with all the touches you'd expect: fresh coffee/tea brought to before breakfast, newspaper, non trashy magazine and White Company toiletries, and of course bed turn down!
There are various areas to sit yourself before and after dinner: by the bar, by the fire, in the conservatory, so you can get away from people! The staff are all very efficient and attentive.
I really enjoyed the breakfast, especially the yoghurt and fresh fruits. Nice not to have to prep it yourself!
As to the taster menu, 7 courses including an amuse bouche, this indeed was very nice. Just the right portions and so many technical elements to each dish! The 2 desserts were a bit too similar, so my only slight disappointment. We also had the wines with each course, which were great!
Didn't take up the spa treatments at sister hotel as to far away. Personally for me after a treatment I like to go back to my room and relax. I would however like to stay their next time.
All in all a warm and cosy stay, and will shall return. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I would like to thank you very much indeed for posting this review of your birthday celebration stay at the Montagu Arms Hotel and to take the opportunity to send my belated birthday wishes
to you.

However I am extremely disappointed to learn that due to an error on our part this celebration was somewhat marred as you were not able to dine as planned in our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant on your Special Day.

Please accept my personal apologies for this unacceptable oversight and please be assured that I am in the process of investigating exactly why this error occurred and to ensure it will not be repeated. I sincerely hope that your complimentary upgrade helped to rectify and compensate for this disappointing situation.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Tasting Menu with matching wines and I have spoken to Chef over your slight disappointment with being served two very similar desserts on this occasion.

It was a shame you were not able to indulge in the inclusive Spa Facilities located at our Sister Hotel Careys Manor during your stay which although sadly not on site is just a ten minute drive away across the open forest. A drive well worth making with the ever changing beauty of the New Forest National Park.

All our staff our trained to deliver a very personal/attentive service to our guests and every effort is made to achieve this goal. Thank you for mentioning this fact.

Thank you also for noticing and mentioning those extra special touches which we like to offer our guests to make their stay a memorable one whether staying with us for a celebration or simply to get away from it all.

I look forward to Welcoming you back in the very near future.
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

High quality traditional hotel with excellent food. Open fires downstairs, fairly formal lounge and dining room.
We were upgraded to a suite, probably because the hotel is fairly quite in November.
Bedroom comfortable and well furnished / decorated. Bathroom was a bit of a let down, very small and dated.
Michelin starred restaurant tasting menu really very good

Room Tip: We stayed in room 14/15
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Your review is very much appreciated and I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed experiencing the Tasting Menu in Terrace Restaurant where the emphasis is always to serve high quality food offering a well balanced menu to our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Montagu Arms Hotel and for your constructive feedback.
I look forward to Welcoming you back very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Set in a stunning location this hotel is very nice, food is out of this world and service also.
Down points on top of the wardrobes we found loads of dust, this needs to be looked, also the place is too hot, the bedrooms and communal areas much to hot, turn down your heating please !!!!

• Stayed November 2012
I would like to thank you very much not only for sparing some time to review the Montagu Arms Hotel but also for mentioning its’ stunning location!

Your kind mention of our food and service is very much appreciated. Comments such as these reflect our vision, values and everything which the Montagu Arms Hotel strives to accomplish.

However I am very alarmed to hear the unacceptable dust on top of your wardrobes. I have raised this with my Head Housekeeper who has now resolved the issue and assured that this kind of shortfalls will not be repeated.

Our heating is set to come on timer system but there was some fault with the timer system which is now resolved.

Without the feedback and comments from our very valued guests like yourself I would not be aware of any oversights.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and help me to continually improve what we do.

I hope to have the pleasure of Welcoming you back to the Montagu Arms Hotel in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The restaurant has one Michelin star, and it wouldn't surprise me to seeit awarded two stars in the near future. We visited at lunchtime, were given a table overlooking the beautiful garden, and ordered from their fixed-price menu (£22.50 for 2 courses, £27.50 for 3 courses excl. wine). The meal was delicious, all the dishes were exemplary with originality of flavours, and attention to detail without either the dish or its presentation being too fussy - we could have chosen any of the three dishes from each course, and I am sure all would have been excellent. Friendly, attentive but unobtrusive service. Wonderful value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very valued feedback of your recent dining experience in our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant.

Our Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson puts lots of effort and thought into personally preparing, creating and producing locally sourced/seasonal produce and Chef would like to send his personal thanks for your review.

I am especially thrilled to read your very valued opinion of our standards of service and I have passed this on to the team. This mirrors the visions and values which we never stop striving to achieve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again whether you return to dine at lunchtime or to experience our a la carte menu in our beautiful Terrace Restaurant.

Once again thank you for your review of our one Michelin Star Restaurant which in the not too distant future may even be awarded that very much deserved second star!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at The Montagu Arms for a Saturday night. This was our second visit as we had been two years previously. The hotel is set in a typical English village surrounded by beautiful New Forest scenery and it is a perfect example of an historic Inn with well-kept and picturesque gardens. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable although an upgrade to a suite is preferrable as they are considerably more spacious. The lounge areas are extremely welcoming with log fires in the Winter and service is polite and attentive. The log fires can make the rooms excessively warm but this is a good thing on cold winter days. The food at both the restaurants is exceptional and the Terrace restaurant is a must if your budget can stretch that far. We ate at the less expensive Montys but had some of the best bistro food we've ever had. All in all, our party loved every minute of our stay and this hotel is highly recommended as one of the best we have ever visited, and we have travelled extensively worldwide. For an overseas visitor to Britain, this hotel and village is a must if you wish to sample typical English ambience.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on the Montagu Arms Hotel and as returning guests I am delighted to hear that your second visit was as memorable and special as your very first one!

Our Charming 17th Century Country House Hotel is indeed very fortunate to be positioned in such an amazing location.

Subject to availability we like to offer complimentary upgrades for our guests, although as you have very kindly mentioned each and every one of our bedrooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable.

The Montagu Arms Hotel has a home from home feel about it, not only in the bedrooms but also with the warm and welcoming public areas with our cosy log fires aglow during those chilly winter months!

I am very pleased to read that not only did you enjoy your Michelin Star Dining in our Terrace Restaurant and also Monty’s Inn our One Rosette Restaurant.

Your review certainly mirrors everything which we strive to achieve and I sincerely look forward to Welcoming you back for your third of many return visits!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I was recently treated to an overnight package stay at this hotel. It was an excellent choice for a romantic autumn break. I believe the package deal which included cream tea on arrival, pre dinner drinks, 3 Course Dinner in the Michelin * Terrace restaurant and full breakfast the following morning represented excellent value. As others have commented, the hotel is comfortable and attractive in a fairly traditional style, but with convenient modern facilities including very adequate wifi throughout. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable, if a little over heated (easily rectified by opening the window), it was well appointed and furnished, though feather stuffed sofas could prove a little problematic for those sensitive to such things.

The service was outstanding in all areas, polite, efficient and discrete, a model that many higher priced establishments would do well to emulate. The food was also very good, attractively presented and drawing on excellent local produce, complemented by an extensive wine list and a knowledgeable sommelier.

This was our first visit, though we know the area and other nearby establishments well. Perhaps we benefitted from being out of season in terms of atmosphere and value but based on this experience we would certainly both return ourselves and recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Your review of the Montagu Arms Hotel was an absolute pleasure and delight to read!
The charm and elegance of our 17th Century Country House Hotel is always a very Welcoming place to be whatever season or time of year, with Special Offers always available on our Website.

I am especially thrilled to read your very valued opinion of our standards of service and I have passed this on to the team. This mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve.

I have received many compliments like yours regarding our extremely knowledgeable Sommelier who together with the restaurant team is trained to deliver a very personal service to our guests with every effort being made to achieve this goal.

Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson always takes full advantage of the abundance of quality local seasonal produce.

I sincerely hope to Welcome you back to the Montagu Arms Hotel for the next of many return visits where our aim without doubt will be to make sure each visit will be as memorable and special as your very first.

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!