“Great family pub” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 11 Restaurants in Beaulieu
Cuisines: Dessert, English, Vegetarian, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak is a family run historic pub set in the New Forest. It offers an excellent range of real ales and ciders, as well as lovely homemade food and desserts. The pub is near to local attractions such as Beaulieu motor museum, Lepe beach and Exbury gardens. Great for family, the beer garden and childrens play area offers a great resting point for days out.
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“Great family pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The setting is lovely with cows, wild horses or donkeys likely to be hanging around outside the front door. The interior is (and has always been) a bit dreary and old fashioned, but don't let this put you off......the selection of beers and cider is excellent - my Dad loved the Pheasant Plucker a lot......the real winning point is the garden and kids play area which is perfect and kept our three terrors occupied. The food came quickly and everyone thought it was great pub food. My parents both thought their dressed crab special to be "very good". My chilli con carne was delicious although I would have liked it spicier. Kids had the usual pub kids menu suspects and all of them finished everything off.. The staff were all very helpful. four adults and three kids about £80. Good value.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Abingdon
“Too much fish, not enough meat!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My Husband and I decided to try the Royal Oak for a Friday evening meal. The pub was very inviting and welcoming, the female bar staff were very friendly. Whilst having our first drink we decided to take a look at the menu which was quite comprehensive with a wide variety of choice. However after finding nothing on the menu that appealed to us, we noted the pub's specials board, how disappointing!. It was practically all fish!. How unusual for a country pub not to sell a common meat such as steak. Unfortunately as my Husband and myself are not fans of fish, we decided to eat elsewhere which was a shame as the deserts board looked very inviting.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampshire
“Pub with a fabulous history and food to go with it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Royal Oak, is a very interesting old pub, full of history. The main thing I like about it is the atmosphere, just so relaxed. When the weather is colder, the open fire is lit and I feel like putting my slippers on. The menu changes with the seasons and what is available locally, I have never come away with not trying something different, and been really delighted. I love to entertain and cook, so have a good knowledge of cuisine.
It is a very friendly and welcoming pub for locals and visitor alike.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
waterlooville
“Not up to it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The pub is in an ideal setting and a lot could be made of it, but....
it could do with some tidyng up, carpet cleaning and improvements to the food. There were no arguments when we took one meal back, but it wouldn't have taken much trouble to provide something decent in the first place as a filled baguette (coronation chicken without any chicken!) can't be that difficult to get right.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food sounds nice but doesn't deliver!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We came here on our way home and liked the look of the place - its in a lovely spot. The menu looked good and had a few vegetarian selections to choose from which was a big plus for my partner.

Apparently his veggie lasagne was delicious but unfortunately the meat dishes really weren't nice and none of us was able to finish ours.

Pudding however was quite nice. The only slight issue was that the order was delivered incorrectly so we didn't eat it together in the end. Overall it seems they have good intentions and ideas but not the ability to carry them out to a high standard.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere