“Not up to standard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Leonards Hotel

You added St. Leonards Hotel to your Saves list
St. Leonards Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 Ringwood Road | St. Leonards, New Forest National Park, Ringwood BH24 2NP, England   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Ringwood
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not up to standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

The room looked shabby, had not been decorated for some considerable time. The window sills and frames were mouldy, the chairs stained and the wooden furniture very scratched and marked. Not what you expect for £89 per night. The bed was comfortable enough and there was good storage space. The bathroom was clean but again shabby, the toilet seat did not fit properly and was stained underneath. The whole place is in need of refurbishment. The room overlooked the car park, was not noisy but we did expect to have net curtains or some degree of privacy as it was on the ground floor in full view. Food was very good - breakfast standard very good but service poor - they were very short staffed, it took ages to take the order, get more coffee etc. The evening meal again was of a good standard (although it would have been nice to have been offered vegetables) but service was very slow, lots of waiting between courses. The same staff who were working in the restaurant late the night before were also there at breakfast and again cleaning the rooms as we left. They certainly need more help, there is either a problem with wages or organisation. It is expensive for what it is. The previous week I stayed in The Marriott Hotel in Zurich and it cost me less for a much higher standard of accommodation and an equally good breakfast and it was Saturday night!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Just back from a three night stay with my husband and really enjoyed. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. The room was clean and very nice. Do ask for a back room as the road out the front is VERY busy. Breakfast is very good and the waiting staff are very prompt and lovely.

A very nice and enjoyable stay. Only down side is that you cannot walk into Ringwood and are stuck in the hotel when you get back. However, room service is excellent even when the resurant is busy.

I would recomend..........espcially for rabbit watching!!!!

Swansea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I have been here a few times, but the standard seems to be going down hill.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hertfordshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

This is a good average place to stay. Room could have done with a spruce up and it was a shame that our room overlooked the car park, as we were woken by car alarms going off twice in the night.
Bar and restaurant service was great. Very professional and food was excellent. Breakfast was superb as well.

Halstead
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I nearly cancelled my booking before we even arrived due to the abrupt & rude receptionist who reluctantly took my booking over the phone but due to us attending a wedding at the hotel I continued.
Upon arrival, we were met again by a very rude & abrupt receptionist (possibly the same one?) who was far too busy doing meaningless tasks to check us in, a welcome to the hotel would have been nice and possibly a smile to crack the frosty face?
Having already phoned ahead a few days before to state that we were attending a 2pm wedding at their hotel and were bringing 2 small children we asked that our room be available by 12pm to get ready, this was assured over the phone. However on arrival we were told that check in was at 2pm, when i questioned this there was much huffing and rolling of eyes from the now infamous ice maiden at the front desk!!! Our room was just ready by 1pm, my parents were also staying at the hotel and they had to open up their room to several other guests who also wanted to get ready for the wedding but had been refused admission to their own booked rooms, one couple could not get in their room til after the wedding!
Our room was tired and filthy, there was dust lying in corners that had not been touched for years, rubbish in my bedside drawer, rubbish on the floor by the television clearly discarded by previous guests. The bathroom tiles had also not seen a cleaning device in a number of months and their was grime on every surface, taps constantly dripped and considering we had paid for a family room (2 adults & 2 children) we got 1 soap & 1 miniscule bottle of shower gel enough to clean a small rodent had the rodent dared to brave the filth that was the shower and try not to concentrate too hard on the dirty slimy shower curtain!
And all this for £105!!! Travel lodge was only £69 for their family room and we wish we'd gone there now!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Essex Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed here for a wedding. The wedding itself was very nice, but the hotel needs a little updating and spot of paint. For instance, the curtains are "missing" in the bar/dining area.

When booking in the receptionist was on the 'phone and taking instructions on how to add costs onto the computer, and ignored me completely for at least 5 minutes. When I asked if anybody else could book me in as I was in a hurry to get changed, she grunted "no, only me". No "sorry to keep you I won't be a moment" which would have made the situation much better. She could easily have put the 'phone down for one minute and I found her to be incredibly rude - others had had the same treatment. Although I had booked a garden room I was given a room overlooking the car park - when I later questioned this I was told they could not guarantee a garden room. But this is what I booked, and I feel their website is misleading in this respect.

However, the room was adequate, comfortable and clean, and I enjoyed a comfortable night's sleep. The shower was good and there were clean soft towels. There was a good choice for breakfast. This is a tired hotel that could be so much nicer with a little TLC and staff training, and it is an adequate stopover or business hotel..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Epping, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Our stay was one not to be repeated. On Arrival we were greeted by a very rude and abrubpt receptionist and told that our room would not be ready until 2pm even though we had advised in advance that we were attending a wedding at the same premises at 2pm and therfore needed somewhere to get ready. We eventually got a room which we had to let other guests use to change because there rooms were also unavailable. Our room was dirty with mold on the bathroom walls, paint flaking from the ceiling and limescale all over the taps and showerhead.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Leonards Hotel? Share your experiences!