“Doorsteps and a Micro Brewery” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 55 Restaurants in Ringwood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Nestled in the heart of the New Forest, with its own micro-brewery producing 3 ales - Toms Tipple 4.8%, New Forest Gold 3.8% & Red White & Brew 4.0% and a dark mild Muddy Boot 4.2% We have an extensive homecooked menu to suit all tastes, which is served all day throughout the school holidays and weekends (times vary out of season)Outdoor seating area with views over the forest3 Beer Festivals a year April, July & OctoberLive bands every Sunday nightWeekly Quiz on Thursday night from 9.00pmFamilies, Dogs and Muddy Boots Welcome!
Poole, United Kingdom
“Doorsteps and a Micro Brewery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We did a circular New Forest walk starting at Linford Bottom and stopped at this pub half way round for lunch. Although we were early (12 noon) the pub was already busy, all the tables were taken or reserved but there were some seats outside under parasols which had infra red heaters fitted so it was fine.

The pub is in a wonderful forest setting with plenty of parking but clearly gets lots of walkers, all are welcome including dogs and muddy boots.

Inside the pub we ordered a round of drinks and then asked to order food but were told that there was a separate area for food which we hadn't realised. The queue for food was fairly long but moved quite quickly and the menu did offer a good range of hot and cold food from snacks to a three course meal. The staff were young and friendly.

We chose a jacket potato with cheese, a burger and chips, tuna and mayo sandwich and a bacon and brie sandwich. We did want to order soup but they had run out which was a pity.

The food came quite quickly despite the pub being so busy and the sandwiches were amazing, the biggest doorsteps I have ever seen - that is to say very thick cut bread from a lovely fresh loaf and lots of filling. There was also a well dressed side salad. The sandwiches were so big we couldn't finish them. The other meals were very good too.

On site they have a micro brewery and produce their own beer aptly called Muddy Boot and very good it is too.

Checked out the toilets and these were clean although there was a queue in the ladies due to there only being two cubicles.

Overall a very nice place to visit but it does get busy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, England
“Excellent pub, warm welcome, good value food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visited over the Easter weekend and despite being very busy (there is a camp site adjacent to the pub) were impressed by the warm welcome and excellent food.
Muddy boots/paws all welcome!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Inedible food on two separate occasions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

First I will say that the pub is quite nice and in a lovely location, but they really do need to invest in a chef who has pride in what they do.

The first time I had food there, I had bangers and mash with onion gravy; the bangers were charred and dry, the mash was lumpy and poorly seasoned and the gravy was insipid and just didn't really taste nice.

I thought that this must be a one off, so when visiting the pub again, I thought I'd give them one more chance, this time with something that they couldn't possibly get wrong - a burger and chips.

I was wrong. The bun that the burger was in was physically inedible, meaning I couldn't physically chew the bread.

This is appalling isn't it? So I put the bun on the counter and asked the poor barman to ask the chef if he could have more luck eating it.

I only like restaurants where the chef clearly has pride and passion in what they do. This chef was a joke.

Have a drink, but leave the menu be.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A favourite for everyone from horse-riders, visitors and cyclists to locals with their dogs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

It's nice. Phil Lowen was singing there today, and we had a well-deserved drink before heading back into the cold and the wind of our Easter Bank Holiday!

Visited April 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Call this a salsa”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Don't bother!
The location is ideal but the food a real let down. After a long walk we needed a light lunch I chose a baked potato with goats cheese and salsa as one of the vegetarian options.Not only did this look inedible it was dry and there was no salsa.. on top of the potato was two slices of goats cheese and underneath half a red onion chopped in large chunks and two very small quarters of tomato, not what I would call salsa! After being asked if we were I enjoying our meals I pointed out my disappointment which seemed to fall on deaf ears. we were again asked if our meals were ok,again I told of my disappointment and had a glimmer of hope of an apology ...but they never returned needless to say neither will we...

• Visited March 2013