“Fantastic food but service lacking” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food but service lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

The food at India Cottage is exquisite - not your bog standard curry rather a fresh, unique and unbelievably tasty menu. Daily specials, house specials and old favourites. The Taka Taka lamb is a particular favourite.
My quibble is over the service, we have been a number of times and it is consistently lacking. Big gaps between ordering or courses, lack of attentiveness, just generally lacking. If the service was improved it would get 5 stars.

Visited May 2013

84% Recommend
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Indian food with a difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

It was a Friday and we were visiting the Ringwood/Ferndown area and fancied a curry. We happened to come across this little hidden gem . . . not easy in the one-way system if one isn't familiar with Ringwood.
Cosy and quirky and obviously, popular. The food was not your usual, mass-produced dishes. The menu is quite different with more emphasis on taste and subtle flavours than spicy and hot dishes.
The lamb and orange was very tasty as was the chicken and papaya. The dishes LOOKED different . . . a mouth-watering offering of good food and generous portions.
There's a Pay & Display car park, opposite, down a narrow road next to the Italian restaurant and hairdresser's.
Visit here if you want something different and inviting.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Dreadful meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant many times and only have had good things to say about it, but I went with my partner on Thurday and it was dreadful, the two guys that were running it that evening were awful to say the least, waiting ages for the food to come and then literally throwing it on the table, one in particular was really quite rude, and huffed and puffed any time you needed to talk to him, the food was not up to scratch either, my partner commented that the Sag Aloo was really rather dry, they guy said, its supposed to be dry if you wanted it more saucy you should have said, my partner has had it in this resstaurant on many occassions, but it has never been dry like it was that evening, my chicken Jalfrezi in a very watery non descript sauce, and was told that how it should be, if they dont want comments then they should not ask if your meal is ok, as all he wanted to do was argue with us,I only hope this is a blip and not the way forward as there are a few Indian restaurants to eat in in Ringwood, and if people get treated this way and the food is not up to scratch, they will go else where and after Thursdays meal I may do the same.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Forest
“Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Not sure whether Sunday lunch is the best time to go, and possibly why it was nearly empty. When we arrived a bit before 1 o'clock, we were told, before we even sat down, that the restaurant closed at 230, ie we had to be out by then. Not a very friendly welcome! The staff were a wee bit offhandish but perfectly competent. The impression was that they didn't really want to be open. On reflection the very strong smell of bleach, which was a little off putting, rather reinforced this. Why start cleaning the floors with very pungent cleaning products just before service? Were they tidying up from the night before?

Food was OK, but nothing memorable except for the onion bhaji, and relatively expensive. Always like a naan with my curry but these weren't available. Instead we were advised to have a Parata - it was horrid and greasy and best to be avoided. The very good reviews seem at odds with our experience. Maybe they should consider remaining closed on Sundays!! As I say, maybe this is down to being Sunday lunch, but we won't be going back as we had a much better meal at the Indian restaurant around the corner.

One observation and really not hugely important or relevant - when I ask for a beer, I prefer to have it brewed in India. When I asked the waiter whether it was, he said yes, but it was brewed in England.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Poole Dorset
“Look forward to revisiting....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We decided to give this restaurant a try, after reading the majority good reviews .
The restaurant is quite quirky, lots of atmosphere and strings of fairy light chasers.. very cosy and really welcoming.
Staff were attentive and friendly,
My Vegetairan choice of fried sweet potato, spinach and peas in rice was one of the yummiest indian meals I have ever eaten. My partner had the chicken dhansak and was equally impressed.
Overal, I absolutely loved the place and the food and will definately revisit - and take my visiting family next time. Thank you - Lesley & Chris - Poole, Dorset

• Visited March 2013