“A great base for an outdoor holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oakdene Forest Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ringwood
Oakdene Forest Park
You added Oakdene Forest Park to your Saves list
St Leonards, New Forest National Park, Ringwood BH24 2RZ, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“A great base for an outdoor holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We own a caravan on this site. The facilities are always clean - although floors in the pool changing area are sometimes a bit dirty - I do think they should enforce shoe removal!!! Otherwise the staff are great - the shop well stocked and not a total rip off, kids love the pools and the slide. We also recommend the archery - a fun family activity! The adventure playground is good. The amusements are perfect - not too expensive - a pound goes a long way and it's something to do for half an hour on a rainy day. We love taking the bikes round the fiorest which is attached.

Location wise - there is so much around - we love alum chine - a great beach with a lovely playground. Sandbanks - great crazy golf. Christchurch - some fantastic restaurants. All about 20-25 mins drive. Moors valley park is fab too - 5 mins away - go ape now for younger children. If you like an outdoors life - oakdene is a good base. The entertainment can be hit and miss. The kids loved the football and rugby in the summer. Every year they seem to add to the entertainment. Other activities inc biscuit decorating, den building, nature trails etc !

There is also a small gym- I would love a spa and think that would add greatly to the park and would also give employment to local people! There are a few free pitches so I am sure this could be arranged!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ShorefieldHolidays, Manager at Oakdene Forest Park, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
It’s great to receive a review from a holiday home owner and we are glad to hear you still enjoy your visits to Oakdene Forest Park.

We’ve received lots of great comments regarding our Go Active activities and we look forward to continuing the activities into this year; we’re glad to hear that you also enjoyed them.

The local area is indeed full of things to do for all age ranges and we are very lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of the country.

We will pass your comments regarding a spa at Oakdene to the relevant department for further discussion.

Shorefield Holidays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Well, let me just say that I am a real snob when it comes to holiday parks and I never really go anywhere but potters leisure resort which is a five star family owned resort. It proves a little expensive to keep going back so we thought we would try oakdene for a new year break.

The lodge we stayed in was amazing, very clean and in a great location. We travelled with our two sons 3 and 13 with special needs, and from the word go they enjoyed every minute, in fact our three year old sulked all the way home.

The resort was very empty considering it was a new year break but I think this made the holiday better as our kids got more of a personal touch.

The evening entertainment team of Geoff, terry and Taz, were brilliant and should be commended. They played a varied amount of games with the kids and never got bored with seeing the kids happy.

We had booked in for a few daytime activities for our three year old but on arrival was told that he was the only one booked and that it would be very boring for him to do them on his own. We decided to just let him do them and steph and John were great in making him enjoy them just as much.

The only slight niggle would be that as the park was closing after our stay, the on site shop had no bread and the bar which normally served food of an evening, was no longer serving food. I think this should have been catered for as we were still on our hols. That aside, I will definately be rebooking and maybe purchasing a holiday home .

• Stayed December 2012
We would like to thank you for your kind review of your stay at Oakdene Forest Park.

Thank you for your comments regarding the entertainment; we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed it and will pass your positive comments onto the team.

We are very happy to hear that you may be considering buying a holiday home with us and we look forward to welcoming you once more to Oakdene Forest Park.

Seaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just spent Christmas at this park. Amazing, booked budget caravan as we had a dog and van was excellent. Double glazed central heating en-suite and in a secluded spot 2 mins from all ameneties. The indoor pool was amazing , large and very warm,they had adult only sessions early morning for 2 hours and late evenings. Mainly had pool to myself. Lovely jaccuzi and steam room and sauna. Cafe ok for breakfast but not too good for main meal. Although caravan had excellent self catering facilities.Wood walk off of site.Would definetely go there again. Booked with Hoeseasons.

Room Tip: We stayed in D18 excellent position for pool shop and woods
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we are so glad to hear you had a great holiday with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Oakdene Forest Park and hope that you have another enjoyable stay with us.

Fareham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here from the 9th of Nov, was supposed to stay until today, however the shocking state of the accommodation forced us to leave a day early due to my sons immune issues. I had what I had thought booked a great deal through Hoseasons at this park. I never expected the unit to be executive style, but just clean! After checking in, finding the unit was a bit of a mission. Once found, and door opened the immediate smell of the place hit us. It smelt absolutely terrible, all the windows were open in the unit, so it's obvious that they had noticed this too. On further inspection the cooker was inoperable due to the amount of grease and grime it was piled under, the sofa was practically black with dirt, the whole unit hadn't seen a clean in a long time due to the strange stains and marks and smell and disrepair all over the place. Had we not of had family staying at the park the same time, we would of packed up and gone home right away, which is a shame. The sites facilities were pretty good, and it has great potential, it is not a place that has it's activities and merchandise shoved in your face, and your pretty much left to get on with things. The shop was adequately stocked, the park was good, the little arcade was tidy, the cafe too, I can't understand the accommodation though?! And it's not like they're unaware of the problems with their accommodation as they have responded to others on here, but seemingly haven't addressed these problems! I notified the receptionists during check out yesterday, and they seemed shocked, well I am hoping my sons health doesn't deteriorate again because of this! And also there are a lot of foreign men around the site drinking all hours, I'm not sure what this is about, luckily my husband was with me, but had I of been alone with my children, I would of been intimidated. However, I think this site has great potential if they would sort their accommodation issues out. It has good transport links to Poole and Bournemouth, a short drive into the New Forest, there is a great country pub a 10 min walk away from the site with a fantastic garden with play equipment for children, the pub offers great value with its food deals. I'm not sure if I would stay here again though, as they don't seem to address the important issues customers have raised, and my sons health is likely to suffer as a consequence, just wish I had read the reviews before staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ShorefieldHolidays, Manager at Oakdene Forest Park, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear about your problems with the accommodation.

We do ask that if you have any problems at all during your stay that you speak to reception; once we are aware we are then able to send a member of our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments to sort any problems you may have with your accommodation.

We’d like to assure you that your comments have been passed on to the Housekeeping department at Oakdene and all feedback we receive from customers are investigated.
Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My family (3 children; ages 12,10,4 plus dog) have just returned from a long weekend at Oakdene. I made the ultimate error a week before we left of checking reviews of this park - such was my concern that I phoned Hoseasons and made them guarantee we had a 'clean' caravan!
On arrival my earlier fears were unjustified. Our caravan (bottom of the range) was very clean and well equipt.
I had booked the children on lots of activities, archery, Zorbing, kayaking etc., all were well organised and lots of fun, as well as extremely good value for money.
The staff were ALL polite and helpful (contrary to other reports I've read).
If I can make one critique, the cafe could do with a more varied menu - I had no intention of cooking and felt the choices the menu offered were limited.
The site was well maintained and very clean in all areas. We enjoyed the woodland walks in the Hurn forest and went horse riding-this was a first time experience which all the children loved. I was so concerned after reading some poor reviews, it just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read, often it's easy for people to have a grumble on T.Advisor, but perhaps less people bother to write a review when they've had an enjoyable break.

We had a wonderful break and will definitely be returning at Easter next year.

(Please excuse any spelling errors-I have dyslexia)

• Stayed October 2012
ShorefieldHolidays, Manager at Oakdene Forest Park, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We’d like to thank you for your kind review and we are glad to hear that you will be visiting us again.
Our Go Active activities at Oakdene Forest Park have proved very popular and we’re pleased to hear your children enjoyed them. It’s also great to hear that you found the staff polite and that your accommodation was to your liking.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the café, we will pass your comments onto the relevant department.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Easter.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We rented a caravan for 3 nights during half term in October. The park is huge, the caravans are placed one after the other with just enough room for your car in between. Our Caravan was stuck between 2 caravans inhabited with single male workers, who spend their time chain smoking outside theirs. In the other caravan next to us, empty beer bottles were left on miss matched chairs, overall a very desolate place. Our eldest son 10, felt so uncomfortable playing outside in this environment that we had to pack our bags at 5.30pm and drive back home on the same day we arrived. What is the point of renting a caravan if your children don't feel safe enough playing outside? The mix of caravans used as permanent home for single male workers and some used by families for holiday purpose is not a good one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ShorefieldHolidays, Manager at Oakdene Forest Park, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Oakdene Forest Park and that you felt you had to leave early.

We have tried to find a note of your booking but it appears you may have stayed in a private unit as we cannot find any further information regarding any customers leaving early during half term.

Shorefield Holidays would like to assure you that we are a family park and most of our customers are family groups.
Welshpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked the Garden Lodge for a long weekend (Friday to Monday) because of the hot tub. The hot tub was fantastic and more than lived up to expectation. It was quite roomy and and not overlooked at all. The lodge is away from the main Rhododendron lodge area and is next to the park warden's lodge and other caravans, however it is not overlooked just close to other accommodation. The 'garden' is just a fenced in lawned area but there is also a picnic bench on the decking next to the hot tub. The lodge itself was OK. The bed was comfortable and the shower was fine. We couldn't get the oven to work but there was a microwave. The entrance to the lodge by the kitchen did smell of cat urine/spray which was quite unpleasant.
We were only using the lodge in the evenings as we were out and about elsewhere during the day and for this reason I cannot comment on the facilities of the park as we didn't use any of them. Overall, as we were only at the lodge in the evenings using the hot tub this was fine. If we had been staying at the park for most of the days I would have been disappointed with the accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oakdene Forest Park? Share your experiences!