“Beware of room Nr. 5 !!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The White Rabbit

You added The White Rabbit to your Saves list
The White Rabbit
Romsey Road, Lyndhurst, New Forest National Park SO43 7AR, England (Formerly The Mill Lyndhurst)   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Heinsberg
“Beware of room Nr. 5 !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Spent just two nights in room 5. Sleeping impossible! The motor of the air-conditioning-system is immediately in front of the room. Extremely lout from 6am untilo 11pm. Never again! The meal was just ordinary.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear hgstump

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the White Rabbit in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Cheap and cheerful hotel. Clean but dated rooms and it appears as though they struggle with a lack of staff, albeit the staff are helpful. No real complaints and good value for money, and good location in Lyndhurst. Didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment about the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went to Lyndhurst for the day last Tuesday and decided to go into this restaurant on the way back home for some dinner as it's a Chef and Brewer. I've always had good meals and experiences with that particular company so just assumed this would be just as good.

How WRONG was I?!

The restaurant literally had 2 other people in there so wasn't busy at all, yet still waited 15 minutes for anyone to come over to take a drinks order. I was adamant I wasn't going to get up to go to the bar when there were 4 members of staff chatting and no one else in the place.

When we had our drinks, my partner ordered a bottle of Peroni. The lady (who had a serious attitude problem) literally brought over the bottle with no glass...so we asked her to bring us one. When she did, the glass was disgustingly filthy with water marks, finger print smudges, bits of food etc...and when I called her to take it back she obviously knew how dirty it was and gave me a filthy look. She then brought back the same glass which looked like it had just been dusted off with a t shirt...so my partner just ended up drinking from the bottle.

The food was extremely sub standard compared to other Chef & Brewers we've been to, the burger my partner had was as dry as a bone, the brioche bun was burned and chips were solid and stone cold. My lasagne was luke warm and chips the same, solid and stone cold. We were so hungry we just ate it, considering how long it took the food to come in the first place.

We did complain at the end of the meal but the staff were so disinterested I felt like I was wasting my breath.

Overall, not a pleasant experience. The meal was overpriced for what it was, wasn't even offered to have a discount when we complained.

Will not be coming back here, and would advise anyone thinking about making the trip or passing by to find another restaurant as this one doesn't seem to actually WANT any customers. All of the staff in the place seemed like they couldn't wait to be out, and needed some serious customer service training. Also, like I said before they all had a horrible attitude problem which no customer should experience when dining and paying for a meal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Amy F, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer
Folkestone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

booked for two nights on sept 6th and 7th, we were visiting the autojumble but had left booking a little late, only place available was as this so called hotel, I saw all the reviews but thought it could not possibly be that bad. BIG mistake. On arriving we checked in and were given directions to room 5, obviously too busy to show us . On entering the room first impressions were not great, very dark looking and bleak, The windows were old crittle windows and had frosted glass so you could not even see out. on opening the windows all there was to view was air conditioning ducting which was making a bloody racket , This was one depressing room. returning from our day out we returned for the night, The sound proofing in this place is awful the din from the tv in the next room was grim, however this paled into insignificance as the racket from the airconditioning unit right next to the window droned on all night long, completely unacceptable for 80 quid a night. well as luck would have it morning arrived, after virtually no sleep I trundled off downstairs for breakfast. we sat down at the breakfast table and our order was taken, we asked for coffee and toast with our English breakfast and was pointed to the breakfast table were you had to actually MAKE YOUR OWN TOAST with a large lethal looking toaster, CHILDREN BEWARE. coffee was also a case of make it yourself with little sachets of coffee , hot water was pumped from what can only be described as a large thermos flask, this was operated by a pumping action, again very dangerous if you have young children .breakfast quickly arrived but was disappointing , the sausages were awful the egg full of oil, bacon tough and one tinned tomato, However at least we got a breakfast that morning because the next morning we sat down and 30 mins later we had still not had an order taken so considering how bad the previous breakfast was we gave up and checked out, all in all this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, How ever it has to be said that the girl on desk, and who also did the breakfast seemed to be constantly by herself and could have done with some extra help especially at busy times like it was this weekend, she was checking people out of the hotel and also if you were lucky taking breakfast orders, this really is why we didn't complain as you had to have sympathy for her. hope these comments are taken on board so other visitors have a decent visit.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear daniel h, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch last Sunday with my husband and our two small children.
I hadn't been to the pub for years not since it was renamed.
I assured my husband that it would be worth the drive and being stuck in traffic for.

How wrong I was, the pub probably had less than 10 groups of diners both inside and out so hardly busy.

Food was delivered to the table and was cold, ice cold and I sent it back I waited a further 10 mins for it to be brought back and I had a jug of gravy that resembled mud it was so lumpy.

My husbands chips were also cold but he said he was so hungry he wouldn't be sending his meal back.

Kids meals were ok, however I found it to be overpriced on the whole, would have got a better service and meal from a hungry horse.

Also was very untidy, serious lack of hygiene in the toilets, both ladies and disabled/baby change.

Disinterested staff with attitude problems did not make for a nice experience.

Such a let down, it used to be a nice place years ago.

Also portion sizes are too small for adults and too large for kids.

• Stayed August 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear mrsmil,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went away for a couple of nights to the new forest with our 12 week old daughter, mainly to visit family who live nearby in Christchurch but also to enjoy the area. I have been visiting this area since I was a young girl, we always camp in the nearby ashurst campsite but due to having a newborn had to stay in a hotel. We picked the white rabbit mainly for the reasonable price and also the location. It was just a 5 min walk into lyndhurst town.

On arrival I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. It looked very modern and inviting. We were checked in straight away and a young man helped us to our room. It was quite a walk to our room through a lot of doors. We stayed in room 8 and first impressions were good. It looked clean and well presented. As we were only using hotel as a base we went out as soon as we had got things to our room etc. so I did not notice any faults initially. When we came back that evening and went to bed it was then we noticed the loud humming noise of a big fan thing outside our window!!! Not the best when not only having to get our daughter to sleep but also to rest ourselves. Also if you are in bed early like us you have to listen to the kitchen staff clearing away and talking loudly!! The upside is the fan does eventually turn off only to come back on around 6am!! Two other things that was not so good with this room was the fact it hardly had any room beside the bed which led to me having to crawl over the bed when I needed to get up. And that the shower door was missing the handle!! Other then that we were pretty happy with the room. On checkout we were informed that room 8 is actually their smallest room!!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. On our first night we arrived back just before end of serving food but they didn't think twice about turning the ovens back in to cook us something. We had scampi which was very nice.

I would recommend this place if you are not overly fussy and want a cheap night in the heart of the new forest. I would definately stay again but maybe request a bigger room!!

• Stayed August 2013
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Smarties05,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you have taken to provide this feedback and will be sharing your comments with our management team so they are able to take learnings from your experience.

Regards
Good Night Inns
blondedolly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We decided to stop here for lunch as we were passing.

The pub from the outside looks great, plenty of parking and nice beer garden.
We decided to sit inside as we did not want to be attacked by wasps.

As soon as we got inside there was one poor lad trying to do everything. Plenty of staff just sat around and chatting. It took over 20 minutes to be offered drinks, my husband tried to get a drink from the bar but the girl refused to serve him saying we will be served from our table. We waited and waited eventually the lad turned up took our orders.

Food was alright that is the only reason I have given 2 stars. When we ordered pudding there 1st attempt was wrong bringing us something completely different. 15 minutes later they turned up with the right order.

We decided to pay at the bar as we knew we would never be given our bill at our seats.There was only 1 lad doing everything, while lots of people waiting at the bar. 4 couples walked out as they were being ignored.

This is a terrible place, and service is awful. Don't bother!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear blondedolly, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer

Been to The White Rabbit? Share your experiences!