“Great friendly place with soon to be new menu” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 44 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
“Great friendly place with soon to be new menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been to the crown stirrup a few times over the past few months , I heard there is a new owner who I met and understand to be very keen on making a fresh start to the pub , the food was good not much choice but again from talking to the manager he has a new head chef starting next week with 12 years experience in high volume pubs ! I think people should wait and give it ago when the new menu is in place , as the pub will be fresh homemade food ! I am excited to go and try next week and I will write a review on my next visit !!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great country pub, very friendly, great gardens and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stopped here for lunch, luckily we didn't read the reviews or we wouldn't of stopped.... So glad we did the staff were very friendly and welcoming and our light lunch was perfect...
Just like to say thank you and hope those writing bad reviews don't put anyone off it truly is a pretty pub well worth a visit especially the beautiful gardens.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Poor service and very poor food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We came here as a family, 4 adults and 2 children, on recommendation from a couple of friends who had been last year, but things must have changed! We waited nearly an hour for the food to be served, and what came was of very poor quality, most notably the very overcooked fish in batter and my son's vegetable soup which was clearly out of a tin!! Non of the waiting staff once came to ask how the food was, but I was quite happy to tell them when we went to pay. I got a refund for the fish and chips from a very apologetic person, but the experience was really so bad, we will never go there again. It was a waste of our time, money, and ruined what should have been a birthday treat for my mother-in law.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We arrived at the pub on Sunday 24.3.13! We really wish we had not and just driven past. This is the first review I have ever written as I nhave never been anywhere so BAD before!
The roast dinner was absolutely disgusting and a total rip off! The toilets are a disgrace you need a gas mask to go in. I mentioned the smell at the bar and the staff member just replied I know it's been like that for weeks???
Please stay away before you make the same mistake as we did!!! We wasted over an hour of our lives in this squalid hole!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
michael w, Owner at The Crown Stirrup, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Simon

Please accept my apologies for your experiance last sunday. i have just brought the crown stirrup pub only a few weeks ago. i am gradualy making changes to inprove the standards. The toilets have been a concern and have since been rectified to revove the smell. This has taken a short while due to finding a plumber availible. As for the food i take on board your comments and have appointed a new head chef who will be starting with me over the next week. I do hope you will understand that its a trying time when taking on a new business to which was not left in a great shape. i feel that in a short time you will read glowing comments on Trip advisor about the crown stirrup.

Many Thanks for your comments.

Michael Wells
“Really disappointed. Would not go back even if the food was free!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went to The Crown Stirrup after reading good reviews online.
I first had concerns about the place when I pulled up outside and there was only one other car in the car park and this was at 1pm on a Sunday afternoon.
The pub itself was a beautiful old building, but inside the decor and cleanliness was poor and it was really cold (even with the small open fire they had).
The tables all had a bucket with dirty, mismatched cheap cutlery in.
Two of our party went for the roast beef, one the pork belly and another a pasta dish.
The beef and pork belly were served with frozen potatoes and the beef came with aunt bessies frozen yorkshire puddings, the veg tasted funny (probably frozen aswell) the meat was so over done there was no flavour to it and the cheap knives couldn't cut through it (not to mention the amount of gristle through the meat).
The mains averaged about £12 pp, so its not a cheap place.
I reckon you would have a better meal in a Crown Carvery (or similar) for a fraction of the price.
It's safe to say I will never eat in The Crown Stirrup and would recommend avoiding this place.
Shame really as I was looking forward to trying this place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere