“If only they'd turned the heating on” 3 of 5 stars

Solent Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rookery Avenue, Whiteley, Fareham PO15 7AJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
UK
“If only they'd turned the heating on”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Recently spent a night at the Solent Hotel. Have stayed here several times in the past, and always found it to be pretty good. But for some reason they seemed to have forgotten how to turn the heating on. Public rooms were unpleasantly cold, the bedroom itself was cold (radiator not working, took the reverse cycle aircon quite a while to warm it up a bit), and the log fires were nice to look at but hopeless at heating the space.

Had a terrible night's sleep, mainly because the bed was so uncomfortable, partly thanks to there being just a single sheet laid straight on top of the mattress. No cosy protector to cushion the mattress springs etc. and provide some insulation.

The spa is fine, although pretty busy and the pool was a bit murky for my liking.

Food; dinner was good, but brekkie was disappointing, partly because the hot food wasn't. It was at least consistent with the room temperature.

Having stayed at the MacDonald Hotel in Botley, I'd go there next time, at least they turn their heating on in the winter.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the back of the hotel opposite the spa's aircon units, unless you like the c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for review. Please accept my apologies for the discomfort caused during your stay and be rest assured that I have already addressed your concerns to ensure that we can make the improvements required. I acknowledge your comments regarding the heating and can confirm that we have recently undertaken and completed a project to replace our air conditioning in all of the bedrooms and meeting rooms resulting in a combined heating and cooling systems in these areas. However, in light of your feedback, I will undertake a review of the heating provision in our public areas. Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and I sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity of restoring your faith in our product.

Dominic Osborne - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was ment to be a fun relaxing girls night in at the spa but it was nothing like it! we were not offered the dvd's as part of package also we waited for the platter to come to our room but it didnt arrive so we had to ask at reception for it then had to wait ages and it wasnt all that! cold, uncooked rubbish, also we had eyebrow wax which was terrible they didnt match at all! the pool was full of kids screaming and splashing so u couldnt relax and swim! staff were rude and unhelpful! Also breakfast that was also part of the package that we ordered didnt arrive either!
I would never go there again such a waste of money!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for posting a review further to your recent stay. Needless to say I was very surprised and disappointed to read your comments and would like to welcome the opportunity to discuss them further with you and may be contacted via the hotel switchboard. Rest assured I will be investigating your feedback and would like to offer my apologises for the disappointment caused.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having stayed in the Hotel and been a regular visitor to the restaurant I consider myself something of a regular of this hotel. However, having just returned from having lunch in the bar I must admit to being disappointed with the quality and standard of the meal.
There were 4 in the group and we ordered various meals including a fishmonger’s platter, a BLT and a coronation chicken sandwich. The fishmonger platter was the same as served in the restaurant and was quite satisfactory. The bacon in the BLT appeared to be recycled from breakfast and was overcooked and largely inedible. The Carnation chicken sandwich was lacking in taste and as opposed to being served with hand cooked crisps and a leaf salad it came with tasteless corn chips and coleslaw.
Overall a most unsatisfactory experience and given the cost very poor value for money not something I shall be repeating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment and be rest assured that the necessary improvements will be made to ensure that we return to our normal standards of service. Your comments are appreciated and I sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity to restore your faith on future occasions.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Went away to unwind after a very hectic Christmas. I booked a treatment which was very relaxing and the oils they used smelt gorgeous.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was yummy and the staff were very helpful when I asked for a slight change to a dish on the menu.
The rooms were very comfortable and the beds one of the best I've slept on in a hotel.
The staff were really friendly and the pool facilities were very good for a hotel.
I would very much recommend this hotel to anyone after a short break.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you had a positive experience and hope to welcome you back for a post Christmas break in 2014!

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just come back from a 1 night stay at the Solent resort. We have stayed there many times and have always enjoyed it for a 1or 2 night stay, either with children or without.
We went for their offer £149 per room dinner bed and breakfast arrived at about 11.30 as we were traveling from Guildford and were not sure what the roads would be like due to the snow.
We were welcomed and told our rooms were ready which was lovely. Got to our executive room on the 3rd floor our children had a twin room next to ours As soon as we walked in the window was wide open, the room was freezing and the sound of the Spa generator was audible and as the window would not close properly we could not shut out the noise . We asked reception if we could move and they were very quick to send someone up to take us to another room. This was fine but again freezing cold the radiator was stone cold and the air con was on not very welcoming when there is snow on the ground. We decided to stick with this room as it was quieter the top floor rooms are quite poky and very dark you do have to have lights on the whole time. We have always been in ground floor rooms in the past with a small raised area with a settee which is very nice and on looking at the website is advertised as Executive rooms so I am not quite sure what we had. While unpacking I looked at the bed and realized the sheet didn't fit one side it was only just coming over the side and the other side was just resting on the top We got in touch with reception AGAIN and they said they would send someone to do it. We went to get some lunch at the Parsons Coller, the pub owned by the hotel, just to get a sandwich as we were eating in the restaurant that night, only to be told they only serve sandwiches from 2-6 and you can only get large meals whats that all about!! So had to go back to the hotel to get a sandwich from the bar which I must say was a really nice, sandwich and BLT. We then went back to our room, the bed still was not changed but an electric heater had been put in to compensate for the heating. We then got in touch with reception AGAIN to see if anyone was going to sort out our bed, assured it would be done we went for a swim, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi which are all lovely. My daughter and I had booked in for a massage and I must say the staff were fantastic and the whole ambiance of the spar rooms were sooooo relaxing. We then went back to our room the sheet had been done but I was amazed it was just a thin sheet no mattress protector or topper, as these beds are twins zipped together you feel every button and join on the mattress.
We went down to dinner but it was so cold throughout the whole of the downstairs people were sitting with coats on and one lady had even kept her gloves on as she sat in the bar. The other disappointment is the restaurant, it used to be a lovely luxurious restaurant with high back fabric chairs a grand piano and on a Saturday night would have a pianist which gave the whole restaurant a lovely feel. Now it has been changed It is characterless and soulless and has an open runway were children seem to be drawn to run the length of the restaurant at 8pm. But I can not complain with the food which was lovely and always has been whenever we have visited
.Breakfast as well was lovely such a shame the restaurant has been made to feel like a stark canteen. I am afraid we would think twice before visiting again.

Room Tip: Don't go for 3rd floor rooms as they are dark and poky.Room 325 window does not close properly
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. Clearly there are several points raised that warrant thorough investigation with my colleagues and rest assured your feedback is in the process of being reviewed with the appropriate members of staff. There are certainly aspects of your stay that did not meet expectation for which I offer my sincere apologies. Once again thank you for taking the time to post such a constructive review.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This weekend we headed to the Solent Hotel & Spa for a night away to relax. We ate in the restaurant for dinner, and the food was excellent, and we also had lunch there and the hot sandwiches and thick-cut chips were amazing! Although the pool and spa were very relaxing and the rooms comfortable, there were a few annoyances...

Annoyances:
Bath Robes - We were only given one bath robe when there were two of us in the room, and we weren't given any slippers at all, which meant I had to walk around the spa on carpet bare foot feeling like a bit of an idiot.
No Conditioner - Why do hotels never provide conditioner?! It doesn't matter how many stars they have, whether 3 or 5, they never provide it! My hair goes frizzy and static without it, so I'd much rather they provided conditioner than a shoe shine kit?!
No Hot Chocolate - I don't drink tea or coffee, so always have a hot chocolate when in a hotel instead, but they only provided Horlicks. Seriously? Who even drinks Horlicks?! It isn't an enjoyable drink and has no taste to it.
Breakfast - Not impressed with breaky. The 'freshly baked' croissants were stone cold and no plates were provided for them, we had to use the cereal bowls. Hardly any staff around to serve the hot food, and the hot food wasn't hot...it was cold, in particular the mushrooms. Egh. I don't think it's too much to ask to actually have 'cooked' items hot.

It was a nice break and we had a lovely relaxing time, both the spa and dinner were excellent. But due to the annoyances I wouldn't choose to go here again, especially when there are better spa hotels around.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I took advantage of a special offer of a full body massage for £36 and it was worth every penny. From the second I walked in I was greeted warmly shown to a changing room and given a soft toweling robe and slippers to put on.
I was then led to a treatment room which had relaxing music playing in the background and was spotlessly clean and had a lovely ambience.
My masseur was very knowledgeable and asked me about myself and Wether I had used the facilities before.
After my treatment I was left to dress back into the robe and slippers and shown a lovely relaxing area where I was handed a glass of water and offered tea or coffee if I wished this gave me an opportunity to unwind and then get dressed and travel home. This was my first visit to the spa and I would totally recommend it as a way to treat yourself to a lovely experienence

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent Spa experience. I was delighted to read your feedback and hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions for more pampering.

Dominic Osborne - General Manager

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!