“Brilliant girls night in package” 5 of 5 stars

Solent Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rookery Avenue, Whiteley, Fareham PO15 7AJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Hertfordshire, UK
“Brilliant girls night in package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked a girls night in package for 7 of us and from booking to our stay the staff could not be more helpful.
The rooms were clean and tidy, the spa was lovely although the pool did have kids running around and jumping in but if your not bothered by this it was still lovely.
Had a facial in the spa which was sumptuous on the water beds, the therapist was very knowledgable and thorough.
The amount of food brought to our room was brilliant and when we asked for more veggie dishes they were happy to help, we were well and truly stuffed.
A great selection of DVDs to choose and topped off with magnum ice creams and popcorn, we were all going to burst after our night in.
This girls night in is a seriously good value night and you are guaranteed to be well looked after.
Thank you Solent we will return.

Room Tip: If a group of you get a suite which sleeps 3
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, which is really appreciated. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Dominic Osborne - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Yateley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had to stay over in Fareham as traffic doesn't always mean I can get to the office in Fareham early. I arrived at the hotel and was met by a very pleasant girl on reception. The hotel looks amazing but as I was alone for work and it was booked at short notice, I hadn't prepared to use the facilites. The room was nice and for a twin had two large single beds pushed together. The weather was awful so I thought I would take advantage of an early night. Around 9.10pm I got ready to shower before I went to bed. I couldn't seem to get the shower to work. I called reception and was told by a guy to push the middle button which I had been doing. I then rang back and he said he would send Claire the Duty Manager round to take a look at it. As I wasn't dressed, I asked how long she would be so I could get dressed, I was told two seconds. A few minutes later there was a knock at my door and there was this young guy standing there. He told me he had come to sort out the shower. He went into the bathroom and pressed exactly the same buttons as I had and strangely enough it still didn't work. (I am not sure how this guy thought I had managed to survive almost 41 years without working out how the shower worked.) After ten minutes, he still hadn't managed to get the shower working and told me he was going back to reception and would come back shortly. Around ten minutes later, there was another knock at the door and the same guy was back. He told me that they would move me. It was now 10;10pm. As I would have to pack all of my belongings up and get dressed to move I really couldn't be bothered. I was so angry at the way he handled the situation, I was still lying in my bed at 1.10am stressed about the shower incident. I wondered how they had managed to clean the bathroom without using the shower?

On top of this, earlier on in the evening I asked about breakfast. I was told that it was served in the restaurant from 7am. I did explain that I had to leave at 7am and no further option was given. In all other hotels I have stayed in, this has never been an issue. Even at a Travelodge, they can supply you with a breakfast on the go box. I felt it was very poor value for money.

The room temprature controller wasn't working either.

Room Tip: Not a good place to stay if you need to leave early in the morning. I had a room near the gym which...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Myself and a friend booked via spa seekers for the supreme pamper day? It was worth every penny. Staff were helpful and friendly. Spa area was clean, not over crowded. Food served at lunch time was excellent. We had 3.5hrs of back to back treatments which were superb? Have to mention our therapists Chloe & Hannah for an excellent, professional service. They are a credit to the spa. Will definitely be booking again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Dominic Osbourne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I'm delighted that you had a such a positive pamper day experience and have passed on your kind words to Chloe and Hannah. I hope to welcome you again soon.

Dominic Osbourne - General Manager
Neston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We attended a whole day wedding which was very well organised. Our room 263 was nice but dated. Our negative points was firstly when checking in for our room we were rushed due to wedding photos being taken at the same time. We would have liked our bags to have been dropped at our room but a room was mentioned to leave them in but we didn't know where and so had to drag them round outside again while photos were taken.
Secondly we were informed that breakfast the next morning was served until 10.30 and after a late wedding reception did want to get in early. We arrived in the restaurant just after 10.15 but the waitress Ellie was not welcoming, and informed us it would now take 10 minutes for her to set us up a table again (with a napkin, and cutlery taking 1 minute) as they had cleared tables away. There was lots of food left but we felt an inconvenience for another waitresses to have to get out serving cutlery and some juice for us. We didn't bother inconveniencing further by asking for any tea or coffee and felt the need to eat and leave quickly. Maybe we would have been treated different if we were part of the swansea team eating in the adjacent room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel. Needless to say I was disappointed to read your comments and accordingly would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the manner in which your request for breakfast was handled. Please be assured that I will be making every effort to reaffirm our service standards to my colleagues to ensure that such occurrences are not repeated.

Kent, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We chose this hotel based on TA reviews and were not disappointed. Stayed with two children (11 and 8) for two nights, with trip to Paultons Park on the day between. Lovely welcoming log fire on arrival and efficient check in. The family room had bunk beds which were adequate though a bit scratched, but otherwise the room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean, including the bathroom. Lovely details, especially gifts for the children including cookies with their names in icing! They loved them! Very unusual to find fridge with fresh milk - so much better than UHT! Also choice of teas and coffees and good biscuits! We found the pillows very "squashy" but on requesting extra they were delivered quickly. The bathrobes were fluffy comfortable. The swimming pool is fantastic for kids and adults - good temperature and generous size compared to many hotel chains, with helpful staff and immaculate changing rooms.

On the first night we ate in the bar but chose from the restaurant menu and the food was really delicious. The children's menu at £9.95 was good value for three courses and with several choices including fresh salmon. We were served at our table and the waitress was friendly and helpful and brought our drinks to the table. Our only complaint was the very expensive wine list with only one bottle of white under £20. Breakfast was also excellent - despite being busy the food was fresh and hot and although it is served to you, you could request whatever you wanted. Our boys loved the fresh pancakes which you order from the menu. Even the toast was fresh and hot!

Our only disappointment was on the second night when we decided to try the pub next to the hotel. We were given a lovely welcome from the manager and served drinks at our table which was very nice. Unfortunately the food was absolutely awful - genuinely inedible and the worst we have ever been served at a pub. My husband and I had Nachos - which were soggy and smothered in rubbery cheese and sloppy guacamole, followed by steaks which were so chewy we really couldn't eat them. My son's gammon steak was undercooked and all the chips were stone cold. In addition the vegetables, which cost £2.50 extra, were overcooked and cold. We are not quick to complain but when the manager came to ask if everything was ok, we had to tell him. He expressed surprise and said that they would have to review their "suppliers" of meat! He did not offer to replace our uneaten meals or to refund the main courses, so we paid the full price for food we didn't eat! What a shame as it ruined our second night's stay and we wished we had stayed at the hotel!

We will go back to this hotel which is well situated for Paultons, Southampton and Portsmouth. Easy, free parking, great facilities, friendly and efficient staff and great food - just DON'T GO NEAR THE PUB!

Room Tip: Bunk beds probably better for older children than a sofa bed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting a review further to your recent stay. I am glad that overall your experience was a positive one but I would like to offer my apologies for quality of food offered in the Parsons Collar pub. Rest assured I will follow up your concerns and ensure that the necessary improvements are made to our food offering.
I hope that this will not deter you from staying on future occasions when visiting Paultons Park.

Dominic Osbourne - General Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had dinner in the restaurant - placed food/drinks order - drinks took over 30 mins to arrive and so did starters - but then main course came far to quick. Booked a family room - said it was two teenagers and they provided a sofa bed - not ideal! Bathroom was in need of update - also they left one mini shampoo and one mini shower gel - between a family of four!

Room Tip: If you want a family room - make sure that it doesn't include a sofa bed for children!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Dominic Osborne - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay. I am sorry that you experienced some delays whilst dining and your accommodation requirements were not met. Rest assured I have taken your feedback on board to assist with improving our service delivery. I hope to see you again soon.

Stoke On Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012. The hotel was much nicer than I expected for it's price range. Restaurant was excellent and good value with pleasant friendly staff. Bar prices were a bit high but the hotel has it's own quirky little pub attached which was great fun. The room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Parking was free. I intend to stay there again when I visit the area.

Room Tip: bring your own swimwear
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!