“fantastic location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“fantastic location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

wonderful staff and food in a beautiful location perfect for walking and cycling

Room Tip: book early - we got the last room which is next to the office and right beside the outside drnking a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Over Priced And Food Cold,Also Had To Wait 50 min For Main Course?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Stayed over for a night with business colleagues on 10th May. The bar and restaurant were busy so waited for a while to be seated, but understood as the staff were doing all they could. We ordered a main and desert. We received a lovely basket of homemade bread while we were waiting and it was delicious. I had some beef for my main and my colleague had ham. Considering how full it seemed we didn't have to wait that long for food to arrive and the pleasant, homely atmosphere made conversation easier. When the food arrived it was presented beautifully and was just the right amount. I can genuinely say that the beef was the best I have had, cooked to perfection and really tasty. The deserts were both obviously homemade and whoever has written on here about using shop brought deserts and ingredient, e.g meringues, obviously doesn't have a clue, or they have suddenly started
making their own. They were delicious and very obviously fresh. Although I was only in area for business I will definitely be returning to the peat spade on a more romantic occasion.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Swanmore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My wife and I called in for lunch on Bank Holiday Monday after visiting the Longstock Plant Fair. It was about 1415. My wife wanted a glass of cider but they had run out. I ordered the Chicken, Leek and Pea Pie with mash and mushy peas. The pie came in a pottery dish (always a bad sign) but the pie crust looked OK. The mash and the mushy peas were only the size of a quennelle. The contents of the pie were very poor, a small amount of stringy chicken, probably the bottom of a leg, about half a leek (at most) and a few peas, all swimming in a watery sauce. In total it filled less than half the dish. None of the food was seasoned. Being hungry I eat what little was there. When the plates were collected I was asked the usual question 'Was everything OK' I replied the it wasn't at all good, to which the reply was 'It looks like'. When I listed the meals shortcomings there was no reply and when we paid we were met with stoney silence. What did I pay for my gastronomic delight - £15. At half this price it would still not have been value for money. My wife's gammon was at least reasonable but poorly presented (two rashers with eggs on them and a pile of chips) and overpriced at £13.We will not be returning there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We have been going to the Peat Spade for five years plus and thoroughly enjoyed each visit, apart from today.

Very disappointing Sunday lunch. We arrived at the pub five or so minutes early, to be told be a girl behind the bar that our table was over there! No welcome, no feel of any bar presence whatsoever. We then waited a good 10/15 minutes before we were asked if we wanted a drink. We ordered beef and two glasses of wine. The wine took forever to come and the beef came pretty promptly. The food was bland, but I would think this was to do with the gravy, which certainly did not match the roast beef. There was a lack of vegetables on the plate. It was an ok beef meal, nothing to what it used to be. The we decided on puds and the Eton Mess is definately something to miss! They used too much cream and shop bought meringues. Dreadful - cheap and nasty. What has happened to the quality of the Peat Spade??? The food quality does not meet the price being charged - we walked away feeling very short changed.

In summary, the food just ok ish, the price, over the top and the service poor! It felt like they were understaffed. The staff did a reasonable job in the circumstances. It did not feel like the upmarket place we were used to going to. Badly needs someone with presence to the run the place - sort it out Peat Spade!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great little pub first & foremost, with good selection of well kept real ales.
Rooms were really nice and well appointed.
Food was good and evening menu intersting and well presented, although "the full English" is possibly the smallest plate of Inn food I've ever seen!
Service though was so slow that it became a joke at the table, and at breakfast it was just terrible - we sat for over 15mins before being asked if we wanted tea or coffee, then sat for another 10mins before it turned up (on its own with no juice or toast etc) and we had to grab the very well spoken young man before he sauntered off again to ask if we could get toast and perhaps order some food. It arrived about 15mins later.
Obviously a shooting / fishing hotel and hence dogs are welcome, but allowing dogs at the table is not acceptable I'm afraid. I love dogs and some of my family were gamekeepers, but dogs at restaurant or breakfast tables is not on.
Fabulous location in beautiful village and nice walk to Stockbridge itself, which is just a lovely quaint place to spend a few hours or a weekend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We recently had a small family party at this great pub. Not only was the food fantastic, the sea bream was the best I have ever tasted, cooked to perfection and the chicken liver parfait lietrally melted in the mouth, but the service was great. as well. What friendly, helpful and efficient staff, who couldn't do enough for us and a well run, clean and tidy establishment. I was very happy to leave a tip behind and would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone who likes fine dining in a congenial and convivial atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Peat Spade Inn? Share your experiences!