“Food good - customer service, disgraceful” 3 of 5 stars

The Three Cups Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   High Street, Stockbridge SO20 6HB, England   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
Gloucester
“Food good - customer service, disgraceful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Visited with three friends for Sunday lunch. Two of the three starters we'd ordered took 25 minutes to arrive the third turned up three minutes later. It was perhaps an early indication of what was to follow.

After a 40 minute wait - during which tables seated around us and which had arrived after us were all served - we gently enquired as to when we could expect our main courses.

Five minutes later two plated meals were dutifully delivered - with a mumbled excuse that the kitchen had 'fallen behind'. But we were assured that our missing two meals would be three minutes. Having waited the three minutes out of politeness - our two friends invited us to tuck in before the food was cold. 15 minutes later - just as we were finishing. The other two lunches arrived! With another apology and an assurance that the recompense for the disastrous 'two-sitting' lunch would be reflected in the bill.

And was it? No. After considerable haranguing the ill-mannered an relatively unapologetic person we assumed was in charge agreed to remove the price of four coffees and the single pudding from the £90.74 bill. While also explaining that it was our fault because we'd ordered starters!

All that would have been required was a pre-delivery admission that the kitchen had screwed up the food order...a glass of wine on the house while we subsequently waited so that the four meals that were being prepared could be delivered together...and an apology for spoiling our pre-planned lunch for four.

Staff - you need to revisit the meaning of customer service. You may have secured £90 this time, but you'll never see any of us again and we will be recommending to as many people as we can that they eat elsewhere - probably the Greyhound opposite, where they understand how to combine terrific food with a pleasurable customer experience . Despite your food being good - your interpersonal skills and customer service strategy are appalling! Cross the road and learn how it's done!

And your 'manager' needs an urgent refresher course on customer service and manners.

Shame.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Two of us popped in for lunch today. We wanted a small meal - my husband had a picnic platter including some lovely ham terrine and I had my first ever warm scotch egg (with some chips!). They had other choices for a light lunch and sandwiches. The service was good - bread and tap water came unbidden and we were not kept waiting or hurried. The choice of beer wasn't too good and we weren't initially given the option of sitting in the Orangery which was just the ticket on a sunny winter day.
Otherwise it was excellent.

Shouldn't this place be listed as a restaurant as well?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

A real "locals" pub. We have a rib eye steak with peppercorn sauce which was excellent. The service and food are good but don't expect a Michellin restaurant . It's a lively pub which also has a restaurant with a great homely feel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I took my team for a weekend away last month. we stayed at this unpretendious, charming, yet professional and efficient catering establishment. Having lived in England for 30 years and considering myself a well travelled person, I can say that I have never found a better hotel. the staff were friendly, professional, good humoured, the accommodation was first class, and the 1st time I had freshly grinded coffee for breakfast instead of instant sachets in a hotel. the surroundings and the garden (which I had all to myself for my morning coffee are simply beautiful). as there was such a wonderful feel to the place, we also decided to have dinner in the hotel. the food was absolutely beautiful. I am just sorry the owner was way that weekend, as I would have loved to congratulate her for what she has achieved. being in the catering business myself, it is normal to be more critical of other establishments, but on this occasion, there is nothing that I can complain about. 'shame'!!!! well done to the owner and team. Good Food By Alex team had a wonderful time celebrating our 5th anniversary, and we are grateful to you for making it so special for us. see you again next year, with a small addition, as Carla (team member's wife) is pregnant . will be contacting you soon to make a booking for the 5th October 2014.

Room Tip: We had rooms 2, 3 & 4. they were all good
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here on business and was pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail throughout the pub and room's. Room was clean well appointed and had a flask of cold milk, filter coffee, biscuits bathroom consumables.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the food at dinner was a treat and the breakfast was impeccable.
The added bonus was the really good quality real ale.

Room Tip: I had room 8 which is not massive but perfectly suited to my needs
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a very pleasant one night (2 day) stay at The Three Cups Inn. The room was more than adequate with all that we needed, although the bed did give my other half a slight back ache, almost certainly the fault of her back and not the bed as she gets backache on most beds that are not her own.

The building was perfect, low ceilings (watch your head if you are over 5' 9" or 10") oak beams and a sense of history everywhere. The service was good but a bit on the slow side occasionally, which is not surprising as the restaurants (yes they have two serving the same menu) was full of locals, which is always a good sign. I now know why it is full of customers as the food was excellent, great quality, good quantity all served in very pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Stockbridge itself is a beautiful village with lots of shops, but they are for 'looking in' but not 'buying from' as they are hugely overpriced. One item I fancied but had no idea of the price, in the shop was priced at £7.80, we found in our local shop at home for £4 almost half the price it was in Stockbridge. The small river under the main road was clean and the ducks were great.

Whilst I give our stay 5 out of 5 it was not perfect but five is much closer to my feelings than four would be, Probably 95% for me.

We had lunch, dinner, bed and breakfast which was a little on the high side price-wise, but only a little and we look forward to returning to The Three Cups again whenever we can, just not for the weekly shopping trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which is the biggest apparently. Some reviews say they were disturbed by people...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Redhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for just one night. We arrived early and were warmly received. Our room was ready and we were offered assistance with our cases. Our room was lovely, nicely decorated and very comfortable. Plenty of tea bags & proper ground coffee & cafetiere with nice biscuits.

We had lunch in the hotel. The dining room was packed with locals and we got the last table. The food was delicious and we decided to eat in again that evening. We weren't disappointed. The waiting staff were young but all seemed to know what they were doing. they were both helpful & friendly. The ambiance is comfortable, warm and friendly. Be warned though, the ceilings are low and require care.

I was concerned hat the shower looked a bit below par, but it was actually lovely, a power shower with tons of hot water. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and served, a selection of cereals, toast, juiced and cooked dishes.

I'm not a big fan of large bland hotel chains. I much prefer quirky smaller hotels with a personal service. This one ticked all the boxes for me and we'll certainly visit again

Room Tip: We had room one which is the largest room. Take a sleep mask as the curtains are light and there are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Three Cups Inn? Share your experiences!