“Afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Romsey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked afternoon tea for a family special occasion my sister in laws 50th birthday, she along with my other guests enjoyed themselves immensely. As before when I have visited The White Horse hotel all the staff were very attentive and friendly, particularly the restaurant manager, and the afternoon tea was yummy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear guest
Thank you for your complimentary review.
Afternoon tea is such a treat - I am so pleased you all enjoyed your time at the hotel.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The location of the hotel is in central Romsey, which is very
convenient, however there is no hotel car park so you must use
the adjacent public car park, which is a short walk away. Note that
the traffic warden was there at 8:30am putting a ticket on my car
so make sure you buy a ticket the night before to cover you for
the next morning. It would have been useful if the hotel staff had
explained this.

Check-in was efficient, and I was offered assistance to get my bags
to my room. I was a single traveller, but the room was adequate if
not huge. The view was of an adjoining wall about 6ft away, so not
great! My bathroom was down a set of stairs which was unusual and
wouldn’t suit everyone, but it was spacious and well appointed.

I did not eat at the hotel, but I tried a beer in the bar later which
was average. The staff were pleasant but I didn’t get the impression
they were really that interested. Quality of sleep was fine, although
being next to the stairs my room was a little noisy.

Breakfast was excellent, although I was a little annoyed at being
asked to sign the room charge for breakfast half way through
eating. I found the check-out receptionist rather unfriendly, and I
wasn’t asked if I had a good stay.

Overall a nice place to stay but perhaps not up to ‘boutique’
standards.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.
My apologies that you were not informed about the wardens in Romsey - they are very strict! My receptionists are very aware of this and generally are quick to inform guests.
Being a town centre hotel it is virtually impossible to get a view from every hotel window as I am sure you will appreciate. The bathroom is quite quirky and adds individuality to what is one of our snug doubles. I agree it doesn't suit everyone but we are flexible and when possible would be more than happy to move guests to a more favourable room.
My staff are generally helpful, happy and a delight to work with as pointed out in numerous reviews but they are only human so apologies if you caught them on an off day.
I do hope you will condiser a return visit.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Recently went here for afternoon tea, the sandwiches were good, the cake assortment was not very inspiring with lemon drizzle, chocolate brownie, shortbread and I believe banana cake. All small finger size pieces and no posh little patisseries. We were given a plain scone and a fruit scone and felt that we could have been offered a choice as we only had the choice of one each. We had to go and find somebody to refill the tea pot, didn't find the staff very attentive plus they did not explain anything at all. The room was very cosy but we were cold as we sat by the window where the old fashioned windows were quaint but let in the cold air. Guess for the money it is worth it but overall we were very disappointed after a friend had told us to go there as it was excellent, would recommend you spend a little more and get better service and proper afternoon cakes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I do believe we have now addressed the issues you had on your initial visit via personal email.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best wishes.
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at the White Horse for Christmas 2013 and enjoyed our holiday there. Our room was spacious and well decorated and there was a lovely Christmas hamper of local products left for us to sample. All our meals were delicious although occasionally the portion control "police" had gone overboard. A suggestion for future Christmas guests would be a programme of events to help newcomers find their way about the building and alert them to what was happening.
I appreciate it was Christmas and obviously a very busy time for the hotel but there were occasions when casual visitors to the hotel appeared to take precedence over actual guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Christmas seems an age away now but I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments regarding a programme of events for the Christmas break have been taken on board for future reference.
I can assure you that all our guests are very important to us and it was most certainly not our intention to leave you feeling undervalued.
I do hope you will consider a return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Got recommended by a chef of where was nice to go and this was their number one choice. Lived in the area for a long time and wished I had ears of it earlier! So glad they did as it was exquisite food and a lovely place; would recommend to anyone. 10/10

• Stayed February 2014
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you to both yourself for your excellent review and to the 'chef' for recommending us!
Hope to see you more often now you know where we are!
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Silver Wedding Anniversary. We went for a cosy meal for two. The service and food could not be faulted. The rice pudding was to die for. I have to type more, but there is nothing more to say. We will be returning.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your delightful review.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Romsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have been here for evening drinks, cocktail evenings and afternoon tea.
It is a lovely setting, outside seating in the courtyard on warmer days is wonderful, and inside the bar area has a good ambiance.
The drinks are rather pricey, but it is a hotel. However, bar snacks seem to be better value.
Afternoon tea is very popular and served in a very old and charming part of the hotel. Fantastic range of cakes and sandwiches, but we did feel two giant scones per person was rather excessive, we would rather of had one less scone each and maybe a few more sandwiches.
But overall, a very special treat that we would do again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your complimentary review.
Afternoon tea is a firm favourite at the hotel. Your comments regarding the scones and sandwiches have been addressed.
We hope you see you again soon.
Best wishes

Been to The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie? Share your experiences!