“Acceptable food, but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, English
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Droxford, United Kingdom
“Acceptable food, but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I went here for a weekend special lunch. We had wanted to come for a while and were waiting for the right occasion. The staff were extremely helpful and polite (we have a young son and daughter who they were very helpful with) and the menu looked great. We were told that our son could have a smaller child portion for the main but that the price would be the same. That was fine by us. What we were not told was that he would pay for two courses regardless of if he only had one. Set menus fine but always good to have some a la carte on there to deal with all eventualities.

The food was good however the pasta was too dry and the portion serving for the fish was not a full fillet from the centre of the fish but rather a thin end fillet. Not acceptable when paying top whack London prices. Very high prices are fine but only if the food justifies the value. This was not the case. Total bill of £125 for 2 starters, 3 mains, 2 glasses of proseco and 2 small glasses of white wine. I would have found this fully priced even at London's better restaurants.

Conclusion. Food was good but price not justified. If bill had come in at around £80 we would be back there tomorrow. But as it currently stands I am afraid we will not be returning. There was only one other table in for the whole lunch period which makes me think others may well have had the same experience as us.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Annie Jones has gone from strength to strength. The food is amazing and good portion sizes. The outdoor area is lovely now. Recommended.

Visited December 2012
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Tempting tapas...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We visited the restaurant last night and I have felt compelled to write a review straight away! The surroundings of the garden bar and tapas restaurant are oozing personality, both in decor and atmosphere. I was wearing flip flops (yes, mad I know) but didn't once feel chilly!

The food was just divine, each dish as delicious as the next; we even reordered more than one choice! The service matched this, both with friendliness and attention to detail.

We will be returning, many many times!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire
“Good restaurant, Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a well established local restaurant which we had not visited before. We had lunch. The fixed menu is £14.99 for two courses and £17.99 for three, which presumably is changed from time to time, one of which is vegetarian. We had onion soup and terrine for the first course followed by liver and bacon and fish cakes for the second .All excellently cooked and nicely presented. There is a wine menu which has a variety of choice at reasonable prices. Service was prompt and friendly. In addition to the main dining area there is a tapas bar outside under cover which is open in the evenings. We went midweek without a booking and had to wait for a while for a table to be free, so booking is advised. We will come here again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
portsmouth
“Let down by service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

As a bar this place is excellent, a real buzz and great atmosphere, as a restaurant I am not entirely convinced. The service lacked something and that something was quality. We booked as a largish (14) birthday group and on entering the staff initially seemed more intent on chatting to each other rather than serving us. There was no background music which while not essential always adds to the atmosphere in a bar/restaurant, we had to ask for it to be put on. In addition to this it seemed almost a burden to them to set up a separate tab for us from the rest of the table., They did not know what credit cards they took, I had asked prior and was told yes but my American Express was declined. The final straw was when one of the waitresses spilt water on the table ruining a pack of Rizlas and several pre rolled cigarettes with no apology to the person that they belonged to, she shrugged it off jokingly. Final bad part was the mens toilets, they were in a very poor condition with tiles falling off behind the sink and the taps on the sink rotating freely making it impossible to turn on with one hand. The food was very good and I certainly do recommend the slow cooked belly pork and roasted rump of beef. I did find the food to be on the expensive side certainly in comparison to our favourite tapas restaurant (Nicholsons in Portsmouth). The Prawns/Gambas Pil Pil my favourite tapas dish was disappointing it did not resemble any Gambas Pil Pil I had ever eaten in Spain or UK and lacked a certain spicy bite and flavour (price comparison £8 vs £5.25 in Nicholsons). I do recommend this place for the food and atmosphere and would probably have given it a very good if the service had been of a decent level

• Visited January 2013