“Treat for our ruby wedding!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
3 nights for price of 2
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Treat for our ruby wedding!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the hotel, with a 7 course complimentary tasting menu (which actually said 6 course on the menu). We had lunched here last October and really wanted to go back and spend more time there and stay. Wish we had booked 2 nights now as didn't want to leave!! The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The hotel and grounds are very good. Staff on arrival/departure were excellent and we were taken to room for the check-in by a very professional gentlemen, he also arranged for a tea tray to be brought up for us. I had put down that it was a celebration for our 40th wedding anniversary and as we booked via another company had a complimentary 1/2 bottle of champagne in the room on arrival. There wasn't really any acknowledgement by the hotel themselves though. I had asked if there was a balcony or terrace room ( as the weather was nice) but there wasn't one available until 5.00 so we said we would stay where we were. We had a nice view over the croquet lawn. The bathroom was huge. Our friends arrived just after us and they had a larger room allocated with balcony, sod's law as my dad would have said especially as it was our celebration and we had been asked for information when booking if we were there for any special occasion! Spa and pool area great with lots of lovely clean towels. Spa pool excellent. Lovely, very alcoholic cocktails before dinner and we were not rushed as we went over our booked time for the restaurant. The food was very good and we were offered bread and water all the time. The wine was good too and quite reasonable priced. We retired to the lounge for coffee and chocolates but we did wait quite a while for that unfortunately with 2 members of staff coming in before we actually received it - they did bring us 2 lots of chocolates though!
Breakfast was an amazing choice but just slightly let down as we had to ask twice for toast and when it was bought to us there was no acknowledgment of this just "here is your toast" and our cooked breakfast was almost eaten. I think that this was a little remiss considering the other excellent service we had received and it wasn't a "junior" member of staff who took our order.
All in all it was enjoyable and mainly lived up to our expectations, next time I might be a bit wiser as we definitely would like to return, perhaps making it an annual event in the words or our friends!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Home Counties
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I attended a large celebratory party of older-than-average people, expecting high quality food and service, considering the prices. The service could not be faulted - it was second to none, and every little move was immediately responded to by the staff. But the food, sadly, failed to match it. It was good, certainly, but not of a quality to match the price. This is something I have observed world-wide: that few establishments can cope efficiently with large numbers. That there were several similar parties taking place at the same time makes my point.

So while I hesitate in criticising the establishment too much, I do feel a sense of disappointment in what was meted out at such a price. In further mitigation, I have always preferred smaller establishments for any sort of meal. Chewton Glen, while certainly satisfying the requirements of many customers, failed to do the same for me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Beaconsfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was a special weekend celebration for a family of 10 - age 3 and 6, teenagers, parents and grandparents.
What agreat job the staff do in making all ages welcome - all requests being dealt with a smile and a can-do approach.
A great selection of rooms to suit families (duplex) as well as couples, including treehouses. Situated in beautiful grounds, on the edge of the NewForest and yet within walking distance of the beach, it has so much to offer including the Vetiver restaurant - reviewed separately.
The service is exceptional, with quite the best and most organised meet-and-greet on arrival. If they know your car registration number the concierge will greet you by name. The suites are exactly what you would expect with a 5 star reputation, with wifi throughout plus a spa with a great pool. A memorable treat.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the croquet lawn also provides a great view of the grounds.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

A friend book seven of us for high tea to celebrate her husband's birthday. The location of the hotel is magnificent, set in splendid grounds. The overall appearance of the hotel tells you this place is special. In the entrance hall there were various sizes of wellington boots for guest to use, unfortunately none my size 13. As the weather was sunny we sat outside for pre-high tea drinks, when the drinks came the waiter had forgotten my wife's drink, which was a little surprising considering the high class impression the hotel gave. We had a lovely view of the grounds and the seating was comfortable. When it was time for our high tea we were shown into the tea rooms, which were through the bar area into a room with large conservatory windows. We were a little disappointed that although they knew there would be seven of us we were shown to two small round tables pushed together, so the ladies sat on one table and the men on the other. The staff were very professional and explained the different sandwichage's and cakes, then showed us the many types of tea they have on the menu. The finger sandwichage's and cakes were excellent and there was no shortage of supply, a long with the tea, coffee, and chocolate. We all had an great enjoyable afternoon high tea and would go there again.
There were however some aspects which were disappointing, While having our high tea, people were passing through the area in their sports gear after coming from the gym and some guest passed through in dressing gowns after coming from the pool. I had to keep getting up to close a door to the outside as there was a draft, but the door wouldn't close properly. One of the staff had difficulty opening one of the external fire escape doors to the gardens from the restaurant, so much so he showed us to other external door through the bar area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I spent one night at the Chewton Glen on business. I have stayed here before and although I might be at risk of repeating myself, this is a splendid place with delightful staff and one is certainly made to feel at home! The dinner was delicious and the cheeze souffle as a starter was exceptionally good - don't miss it if you like a good souffle! The beef was excellent and the chocolate fondant with pistaccio ice cream is a great dessert! The flowers around the hotel deserve a special mention as they are spectacular and the gardeners have clearly worked very thoughtfully to create such a marvellous display. If you like kippers for breakfast, order them here as they serve the ones which don't have bones and they taste great. We got plenty of work done in a convivial atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Barking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I spent one night at Chewton Glen and just wished it could have been longer. From the moment we arrived until we left, every member of staff were so helpful and welcoming. Our room was so luxurious we didn't want to go out! However we spent some time in the marvellous spa, which was so relaxing and enjoyed a delicious breakfast. We visited nearby Christchurch which is a lovely town. We would love to return one day and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having arrived in the New Forest 2 days previously with a surprise weekend, with friends, at Lime Wood I didn't really know how my 40th birthday celebrations could get any better!

I quickly realised as we pulled up outside the impressive frontage and warmly greeted by a smart and very quick witted doorman that I was one very lucky lady!

We were told to leave the car and our belongings and were shown around the lounges and restaurant by an incredibly professional and respectful member of the reception team (he said to me "I believe this is a special celebration is this something that you are happy for us to acknowledge!" How very tactful!

Our treehouse wasn't yet ready (it was 2pm after all) so we enjoyed a delicious cup of tea and homemade flapjack amongst other treats with a wonderful backdrop of sunshine and a pianist no less (this may have been due to it being Sunday lunchtime?) which we loved!

We then hopped into one of the few dedicated golf carts which are available night and day to transport you too and from the Treehouses (ours was Spruce the very last Treehouse so a good 10 minute walk away from the main hotel and spa)!

Upon our arrival my expectations where again exceeded as we quickly realised they had unloaded our jam packed car (I had no less than 40 presents plus pretty much all of my wardrobe just in case!) So all that was left for us to do was open all the bi-folding doors, strike a match to the wood burner and open the champagne!

The Treehouse was nothing like I had imagined, far more spacious and luxurious- see photos! (I have never seen so many fluffy towels/soaps and magazines in any hotel bathroom before) it had THE biggest Bath, albeit that the plug didn't work, built in TV, that you couldn't switch off!, fantastic monsoon shower and not forgetting the underfloor heating all of which overlooked the woodland.

I was pleased that we had no Neighbours (there are two treehouses per pod) because actually our decks are only divided by a canvas sail which isn't 100% flush to the wall and when you have your own hot tub it's nice not to have to worry about your neighbours seeing you!

Sadly due to a design fault (so the very friendly maintenance guy told us) we couldn't use half of our deck as every few moments a waterfall crashed down from the flat roof (even though it wasn't raining) and made the deck incredibly slippy and the table and chairs er well very wet and unusable. This was annoying especially as it was an incredible mild few days that we were there in January, however, the alternative was to fling open all the doors and snuggle up in the ginormous bed and enjoy breakfast, a tough life!

You really do have everything you need in your treehouse, a fridge stocked with water and milk, state of the art coffee machine, teas, homemade biscuits upon arrival (shame there not re-stocked each day) so actually you don't need to leave during your entire stay! (perfect for honeymooners) we ordered one of the delicious suppers from the hamper menu (all done via the ipad like system
which was very user friendly). We could have requested the meal be left in the hatch (like they do for breakfast) but we were happy for them to come in and they laid up the table (sadly not with linen) I had the Lobster curry and my husband the Buffalo lasagne as our main course and they were fantastic!

Breakfast was delivered via the hatch at 7:30 each morning (not a requested time) and as I am a light sleeper I did hear them but I don't think you can avoid this unless you ask them just to leave it by you front door)!

Each morning was slightly different, smoked salmon, cream cheese and a bagel one day muesli another porridge, fresh fruit! Always accompanied with such a generous amount of mini croissants, pain au chocolate, muffins, breads and dawn pressed juices wonderfully fresh and super filling! (So probably just as well the don't re-stock the biscuits!)

I used the gym (much needed after the afore mentioned breakfasts) which was well equipped but sadly the staff just weren't welcoming or anywhere near as helpful as the other staff members we had met. Indeed I barely was greeted with a hello and felt awkward having to ask where the gym was! I did, however, attend two very good class's in their studio where the instructor was fantastic and super friendly (I would advise to pre-book as they were busy classes!)

So my actual birthday arrives and we took their advice of a lovely wonder through the grounds and down to the beach (highly recommended) we headed back and I was greeted with a lovely card, balloon and delicious Champagne from the Chewton Glen team which was a really lovely touch and very much appreciated.

I then had a further treat of having my make up done (I opted for a smoky eye which I wouldn't ever normally choose) I was pleasantly surprised, sadly my husbands shave wasn't at all what he had experienced before, having a five o'clock shadow just a few hours later! they didn't charge us for this when he raised it with one of the Management team).

That night we headed to the bar enjoying a delicious champagne cocktail before dining in Vetiver and we absolutely had to have the 7 course taster menu with accompanying flight of wines (the sommelier was superb) and it did not disappoint it truly was a meal to remember, sadly seeing the newly appointed Assistant Restaurant Manager shouting and hissing at one of the junior staff members most of the evening didn't leave such a great taste in our mouths!

We headed to the spa late the next night and continued our unwind - we near enough had the place to ourselves as it was 7:30pm! It was wonderful although a shame that both the sauna and steam rooms are located in the changing rooms so my husband and I couldn't enjoy these together!

Overall I felt very lucky to be celebrating at Chewton Glen, however, there where a few things that would make us question wether we stay there again especially having had such a wonderful few days at Lime Wood previously!

My husband did discuss our concerns (a few additional issues not mentioned in this review) with
The Management Team and they were hugely apologetic and incredibly generous in an attempt to reconcile our stay,indeed, offering a free overnight stay in the coming year! Sadly my first thought rather than excitement is it's a long way from our home in Cambridge!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!