“A very nice retreat experience” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Portsmouth Road, Liphook GU30 7JQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A very nice retreat experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I loved the interior of the hotel: they have 3 restaurants decirated in different styles but shared kitchen and same menu - make sure that you book a table for dinner in the one you like in advance (as soon as you arrive). The selection and quality of food was great, the service as well. I enjoyed having afternoon tea in the room with a fireplace overlooking the lake, and I loved having breakfast with a view in the morning when there was fog! Very romantic.
There is a nice spa with a spacious pool and jacuzzi.
If you feel like being in the open air you can gire a bike (free of charge) and have a tour around. There is a lake and a forest around the hotel.
Overall a very enjoyable stay! Will happily come back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The spa tretaments, location, staff are excellent. The rooms are quite average - tiny bathrooms with plastic shower curtains that stick to you and hot and cold shower taps that require the finesse of a safe cracker to get the temperature just right. It is these things that stop it getting a five. The whole place just needs some investment as there are plenty of other places doing what Champneys does but better. Laurels have been rested on I think.

That said - we came away refreshed and happy and if you can put up with a little bit of tattyness you will too.

Room Tip: The second floor has a nice view over the pool and lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Still excellent service as usual.

I only have a couple of sight moans -

I think some of the portions were a bit mean, which is a pity because in general the food is excellent.

I do wish the bedside light was more powerful, as I cannot sleep unless I read in bed for an hour or so. This was impossible with a feeble bedside light.

Room Tip: South side superior rooms are first rate.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have been regular visitors to Champneys, always staying Monday to Friday in a Premier Room during July. When we booked this year, we were very unpleasantly surprised to learn about the very steep increase in prices they have made. After deciding that £900 was too much , we opted to downgrade to a Superior room., which was a little more than we had paid last year for Premier service.

Upon arrival, we were shown to a room on the ground floor overlooking the pool. I note that another reviewer likened the rooms to those in the Travel Lodge and I must agree with them. Don't know who thought purple and burgundy were chic colours for a spa!

The food was terrific as always although we understand that there have been many changes made, including those of staff and staffing levels. Apparently many of the long serving staff have left or are leaving.

One of the bathrobes we were lent was so dirty it had to be changed. No slippers but plastic flip flops. No freebie body wash to take home. No Champneys bag, no water bottle, no water after the first day. We were expected to pay £4 for another bottle!

Our treatments were very good and the girls were as lovey as usual and very helpful too.

We felt that this Champneys had morphed into a Day Spa. We appeared to be the only people staying longer than one or maybe two nights. It was very annoying to be told that our treatments could not be taken when we wanted them, as the day people had booked them all up! One day, NO treatments were available for us. We enjoyed the various classes, although we were rather miffed to be expected to pay £5 per session for Pilates etc.

The weather was perfect all week and we enjoyed sitting by the pool, which was warm and very pleasant, with new sunbeds and chairs in the area. Nice change as we are usually rained off!

Apparently there are other changes under way, including an early payment discount, we shall see.

We do not rule out a return but as my friends pointed out, we could go abroad for what we paid and be guaranteed better weather.

Room Tip: The newer block facing the lake and pool have good views, although some of these rooms are suites an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Champneys Forest Mere several times. This time the room really let the stay down - that and the apparent disinterest of the staff when I reported the cleanliness and noise issues of the room on departure (my strong advice is to refuse room 11 if offered to you). Restaurant staff were good in the evening but at breakfast and lunch seemed far more interested in chatting to their returning friends and service was inattentive and slow. Interesting that despite being a returning customer and providing feedback verbally and by completing the online survey I have heard nothing in the week since we left. Won't be going back. What a shame.

• Stayed July 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My friend and I attended in July. This was my fourth time but my friends first It was a beautiful hot day and we started our day with coffee on the newly furnished terraces. We had a swim in the outside pool which I have to say felt like we were abroard. The staff here are second to none. On arrival at reception they were very welcoming and charming. The thalassopool was as always great fun and lovely on the skin.
Lunch was on the terrace with a lovely cold glass of champagne, nothing could be faulted. After lunch our treatments. These girls really know their stuff. We could nt have been more relaxed if we had tried.
The only thing that could be better is a little more seating by the indoor pool, other than that this really is a lovely relaxing day. On our return we booked our next visit in September . We cant wait. My friend is hooked! Just as I am.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leighton Buzzard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The last time in Champneys (Tring) back in 2009 I was surprised that i'd enjoyed it! So the Wife insisted that it had been a few years so we ought to go back...perhaps to a different site....doing the normal look on Trip Advisor and read the negative reviews I was filled with dread...then I turned up and was surprised to find the reception (which has been called out dated) to be bright and clean with very high quality......OK its no uber modern but this is a HEALTH RESORT!!!!

We were shown to our rooms via a corridor (which another reviewer stated was like Premier Inn that said they were also one of the reviewers who start every review with 'i'm lucky enough to have stayed in may 5* hotels around the world' yet only ever seem to review either weekend breaks in the UK or 2/3 star hotels in Spain...strange...) sorry off topic....so the building had corridors which had rooms off it, as you can imagine a massive surprise that they have not invented teleporting!!! The room was clean and yes probably needs a little updating but find me a hotel that does not, a quick check with the staff showed that they are updating some of the rooms so they clearly are investing.

Right next thing the food........this is a HEALTH RESORT...so not being able to have wine between courses is not the end of the world, at lunch it's a buffet style so help yourself to as much or as little as possible. The evening meal is well thought out with a handy guide on what it is good for the food I have to say was really great and I'm quite a fussy eater. The only slight niggle would be that on one of the nights there was only one item on the menu that I liked.

The spa is lovely, the treatment rooms forced me to relax the moment I stepped in, the treatment 'girls' obviously loved their jobs and made sure that I was comfortable through my treatments and made some really good recommendations (that even a guy could follow)

Every time I turned a corner I came across another member of who greeted me with a smile and 'hello' (for those who could not find any staff they were the ones with a 'Champneys' badge on)

In summary, worth the money - great food - great staff - great treatments - but the rooms could use a little update (but I know they'll get there)

If you are one of those people who are stuck up about staying in a place like this and expect perfection try somewhere else... there seems to be a little shameless advertising of another spa in the area (does not seem set up at all) so I suggest you go there...you'll be doing Champneys a favour

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!