“A little piece of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Champneys Forest Mere
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Portsmouth Road, Liphook GU30 7JQ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Poole, United Kingdom
“A little piece of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This was the second time we had taken a 'Traditional Week' at Champneys and it was just as good as last August. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome and given robes, slippers and a bag to carry them in. Porters were available to take our bags if required and an orientation tour available.
We had room 234 and it was nice and quiet with a view of the outdoor pool and woodlands. The bed was large and comfortable, the pillows are generally foam and next time I will probably take my own pillows. Our programme for the week included treatments each day and use of the pool and most classes of which there were plenty to choose from, I tried dance class with Rebecca which was great fun and also relaxation which really worked.
The grounds are fantastic and there are plenty of walks of varying lengths. You can also borrow bicycles and ride around the many paths.
On our first evening we were invited to a Welcome Reception with pink champagne and canapes. The staff really go the extra mile and we were really impressed that Tom the restaurant manager recognised us from our visit in August 2010.
The food is excellent, breakfast is buffet style from a wide selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast, bagels. You can also order cooked items at an extra cost. Lunch is also buffet style with a fabulous choice of salads, cold meats or fish. In addition there is hot food or you can mix and match and go up as many times as you like. Pudding is also available and includes fresh fruit or a small pot of something really tasty. Dinner is waiter service and the menu changes daily. We were so impressed with the wonderful service and the staff remember your name which is so nice, Jackie, Tom and Della were so friendly and helpful and ran the restaurant in a very pleasant but efficient manner. They had thought of it before you even realised you wanted it!
Part of the package includes a free glass of sparkling wine with your dinner and this is a really nice touch. We were especially fortunate as when we booked there was a half price offer so we felt that it was an absolute bargain.
Champneys is a wonderful experience and to be thoroughly recommended, very relaxing, beautiful surroundings and delicious food. The only thing we were disappointed about is that last time we visited we dined in the Mere Restaurant in the evening, this is now closed - Champneys please re-open this wonderful room, full of character and just such a wonderful dining experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have the best view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I'm not a frequent visitor to 'health farms' tho' I ought to be! As my friend said there are indulgent luxury hotels that have spas, spas that have hotels attached, and health 'resorts' that have spas (this is the latter)- and each has a slightly different accent - so take your pick based on needs
Champney's seem to have gone more middle market over the last 10 years and there's a lot more 'Essex' amongst the 'ladies that lunch' that used to be the staple clientle.
Its quintessentially English - my first thought was its like staying with the National Trust, but I took most of that back after a day.
If you are looking for an active, healthy break it certainly does the job - there's bags to do, great facilities and beautiful countryside.
The food is calorie conscious but very well done & a sharp reminder that eating heathily doesnt have to be boring!
on last thing depending on your booking levelyou get allocated treatment times rather than choosing
times - this could be a pain but it depends if you feel paying extra to be a 'premium' guest is worthwhile.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

A break at Champneys is as my title suggests - "Magical". The food is nutritious, there's plenty to do in the way of classes to join and of course the surroundings are beautiful at Forest Mere where I stayed with my daughter 3 months ago. Last week we had another break which unbeknown to my husband had been booked to include him too. We knew he would love it as much as we did. He even lost 4 lbs. which pleased him. We shall certainly keep up our Loyalty Vouchers, visiting as often as we can.

Room Tip: The Cedar room is adequate and of a high quality.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I have just returned from another 2 night, 3 day break at Champneys Forest Mere with my Mum and found everything to be wonderful as usual. All the staff are so friendly and welcoming. The meals are wonderful, so much choice and very healthy so that you can just have a small amount of what you fancy. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious & clean with TV/DVD player, tea and coffee making facilities and all the toiletries and fluffy towels you could want, even cotton wool pads! The fitness team are brilliant, knowledgeable, motivating and always there with advice - excellent & fun classes including dancing classes like Salsa, Zumba, Ballet & even a Michael Jackson workout!! In 2 nights, 3 days I did 13 activities including playing tennis & riding a bike around the grounds. I love Champneys and I have booked up a loyalty voucher to go again - this time I'm trying Tring to see if I can spot any celebs but the surroundings at Forest Mere make it a superb, tranquil place and I would go back again & again even though the journey there & back is 2 1/4 hours each way.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent but the best view is on the third floor overlooking the lake
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Champneys forest mere, near Liphook, Hampshire offers a little piece of heaven for us in our ordinary lives. Whether it's a 2 day loyalty stay or the traditional week experience it never fails to deliver.
Staff are committed to providing you with a stay that is tailor-made for you. You can do everything or nothing, sleep late or rise early, exercise to your limits [like me] or rest and relax,the choice is yours.
Guests are treated to high quality cuisine and the food is sublime. I guarantee, one visit will leave you wanting more.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar in standards, which are high. However, a ground floor room offers patio or sit...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I'd heard that Champneys was known for its customer service, but they really exceeded all my expectations. Everyone from Reception, Housekeeping, Therapists, Restaurant staff and (especially) the Fitness Team made my time there truly fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and the country hikes are a must. I can highly recommend the Fit Week. It was a challenging, yet very rewarding, week which was made enjoyable and fun. I hope to be able to return some time soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Absolutely superb place to unwind. Spent 2 days here and felt so much better afterwards. Everyone should have a break here on the NHS!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!