“Sunday Lunch at Old Thorns - Pleasant enough, just needs polishing.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course

You added Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course to your Saves list
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Griggs Green, Liphook GU30 7PE , England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch at Old Thorns - Pleasant enough, just needs polishing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We ventured to Old Thorns for Sunday Lunch with friends. We had heard mixed reports about the quality and wanted to judge for ourselves. Sunday offers a carvery style lunch in the main restaurant, which suits us fine.

The winding drive is an excellent introduction to the building and extensive car parking is available. A short walk later and we were passing the stylish reception, making our way to the restaurant. On arrival we were greeted well. When asked if we had "been before" to which we replied "No", we were then told that the Maitre D' was a little busy and that a waitress would explain how the restaurant worked. They were obviously having a busy Sunday!

We took no offence to this and went to our generously sized table overlooking the golf course. Drinks service to the table was swift and efficient, including jugged water arriving without being requested, which is a simple but lovely touch.

Sadly our waitress had a very soft voice, and most of the table could not her explain how the restaurant worked. Being English we simply smiled and nodded. It transpires that starters (cold meats, salad, fish etc) is also served buffet style and that you help yourself.

There was a generous array of crayfish, smoked salmon, prawns, herring and all things fishy, along with a good selection of pasta, breads and salads. The fish was all presented well and very fresh. As I was looking forward to a full lunch I just sampled some of the dishes, but everything was tasty. Some people might find the plate sizes are a little small, which seems a shame - but avoids wastage - when the selection available is this good. Starters costs about £6 extra on top of the normal cost of Sunday lunch, for which you are allowed one visit.

The Sunday Lunch carvery experience was a good one, but needs polishing. It is certainly charging the maximum I think is appropriate at this time, which is thankfully less than most golf clubs or luxury hotels charge. Had the restaurant positioned itself around the £15 for a main course mark, this review would have been a little different, but for the £12 it charges, it offers good food at good value.

You queue for a chef assisted carvery, and start with preheated plates and a choice of gammon, beef, or I think Turkey. There was no lamb available when I visited, but this may change weekly.

The beef was cooked perfectly and two generous slices served. My colleagues had the gammon, which was equally well cooked.

You walk down the buffet helping yourself to an array of vegetables and accompaniments, including several cabbage dishes and proper home made gravy. The vegetables are well presented and piping hot.

Each of us enjoyed our lunch, although it appears waitress service is not offered to top up wine or water glasses through the meal. Certainly no extra bar drinks were offered until we requested them, which seems a shame and missed revenue for the hotel.

It is very clear from the menus that your buffet price allows you ONE visit to the buffet, and that any extra visits will be charged at full price. Although I can appreciate the hotel may not want people eating several portions, this left me and friends a little worried about the "bread politics" - we really fancied some bread to go with our main course, but were all too scared to return the buffet / carvery area in case doing so cost us another £12 each, so although lunch was perfectly pleasant, we were left to enjoy it without bread and no offer of extra drinks. Hardly a crime, but less than perfect. The cauliflower cheese was a very good choice.

Service was a little sporadic over lunch, and the grand finale involved our waitress trying to clear the table before everyone had finished. Again, hardly an unforgivable sin, but just another pointer that there are some training issues to be worked on here.

All in all a pleasant lunch, with good food and friendly, if not completely professional, service. Self service carvery may not suit everyone, so the venue offers plated dishes in its other "bar type" restaurant, but for us the concept is sound. The quality and variety of food in the Sunday Carvery is more than suitable for a Sunday lunch with family or close friends.

It is a large and popular restaurant, so booking is advisable. It is set in lovely grounds and just needs the finishing few flourishes with regard to staff training and Old Thorns will become even better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have never been one for camping myself and love the height of luxury, but my boyfriend loves it and has been talking about the eco pods at Old Thorns for some time now. So as a birthday treat I booked 4 pods for us and his family to experience. Having seen some awful reviews on here I was very dubious, but let me tell you that we had a fantastic time from start to finish.

I booked the pod packages - 2 golf and spa pod breaks and 2 spa pod breaks. Included in the package was a round of golf for the boys and a 25 min treatment each for the girls, as well as use of all of the spa facilities for us all. A two course carvery dinner and breakfast in the morning.

Upon arrival, to which we were 45 minutes early, we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who informed us, that our pods were actually all ready and waiting for us. The pods were spacious (for a pod) very clean, tidy and well kept. We had miniature toiletries, mending kit, vanity kit, so no complaints there. Opened a few of the draws to find a hair dryer and an iron (sadly did not open all the drawers and find the blankets that we could have used whist sat outside chatting in the evening, but our fault for not being nosey enough)

Now as I stated earlier I'm not really one for the great outdoors lifestyle so was a little worried about the green toilets/shower facilities, but once I braved it and went inside I was very surprised. The facilities were all very clean and the shower was kitted out with shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, shower caps etc. The nights sleep was great too, didn't hear a peep.

With my boyfriend being a keen golfer and having played at the course before, thoroughly enjoyed the round of golf along with his brother and friend. They said the course was busy, but wouldn't expect less from a championship course.

Whilst the boys headed off to the sports bar to do their manly thing the girls hit the spa, and gosh was it a treat. The receptionists were lovely and friendly and signed us all in, getting us to fill out health forms for our treatments, which to me was very professional. The only thing I have to squabble at is that we weren't informed that we needed to put a credit card down as security for the robes etc as it meant a trip back to the pod (not that not was miles away but still) The Spa was beautiful. So clean, quiet and relaxing and I myself nodded off. The treatments were fantastic and the therapists were friendly and polite as well as really blooming good at their jobs, so thank you.
For dinner we had a carvery dinner in the Kings Brasserie. Again greeted with a friendly smile, asked if we had eaten there before and as we hadn't were shown where everything was. We had a choice between starter and main or main and dessert and we all went for the latter. Carvery was lovely, had a choice of different meats, roast potatoes, lots of veggies even chicken pie. Desserts were delicious, we just went up to the dessert area to pick a slice of heaven.

Breakfast was also great, great selection of cereals, fruit, full English that you can serve yourself.

I would highly recommend the Eco Pod Packages (if still available) or just the hotel in general as we all left with huge smiles on our faces.

Room Tip: Pod Packages are excellent value for money
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I came to the Old Thorn hotel for a friend's wedding reception and luckily enough was able to stay there as part of my accomodation too. The decor is a mix of modern country and a touch of jazz. The walls are decorated withfamous musicians and actors, and the furniture is old but oak and kept in good condition.
It is not cheap however it makes up for in food. Traditional english breakfast with nothing in sight that comes in a can. They provide plenty of fresh fruit, yoghurt and sweet cakes/ croissonts straight from the oven.
They catered to my friends every wish for her reception so both bride and groom were very happy. The look alone was a beauty and the couple got to take their wedding photos right on the lush green. For those golf lovers it is vast, green and well kept. For those like me who prefer to relax in the spa, I enjoyed the Classic day package. I was not issapointed, the staff are friendly, professional and listen to what you need. There are a lot of packages on the official website to browse or you can browse the price list for choosing one item only.
My room was a double with ensuite. Clean and comfy. However as we went during an unseasonable heatwave there was no air con in the room, but the staff provided us with a large fan. There was nothing they refused to do providing that they could help you with.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here in May for a friends Wedding. Paid for, what was described on Booking.com as a "superior room". Quite frankly, I have to disagree!

Arriving at the hotel, I stood at reception waiting to be helped by a receptionist who appeared more interested in reading what was going on with the internet than actually helping me! I was then told, that my room was not in the main building but in a seperate building on the hotel grounds.

Explained, that as a woman travelling alone, I would prefer to be placed in the main building for personal safety issues. I was informed that this was not an option. I was not offered any help with my bags and left to find my own way to the hotel room.

The room itself, was quite frankly nothing special. It was WAY overpriced for what it was. Paying well over £100 for a night, for one person, I would expect some sort of luxury touches. The carpet was stained, the walls had visible cracks and the skirting board was filthy!
I had been informed that I could order room service, however, could not find a menu. Was told by reception when i rang to ask, that "every room has a menu, just keep looking and you'll find it."
They eventually seemed to understand after 5 minutes of looking, that in fact, I didn't have a menu and sent me one down. The food ordered was also, below par. I felt that it wasn't deserving of the quite hefty price tag which accomapnied it.

My main concern with this hotel, aside from the stated above, is the fact of safety. As a woman who has travelled alone before, I have ALWAYS been placed in an upper floor room and not on the end of a corridor.
However, in this hotel, I was placed in a building outside of the main building. I was put, on the ground floor, on the back of the building, and next to a fire door. Which quite frankly left me feeling rather unsafe! I expressed this concern to the staff on reception when checking in, and the impression I was given was that this wasn't an option or issue that they were prepared to deal with.

Therefore, after the Wedding reception, I asked a friend to walk me back across to the other building, as at the time, there were two weddings going on and a lot of people around (mainly men) who I did not know. To my surprise when we reached my other building, his key card worked! However, his room was in the main building. Which begs the question as to why he would need access to the other building?

Once I was in my room however, I was awoken at 5am by a drunk person ringing my phone in my bedroom. This made me feel particularly unsafe!

All in all, I feel that the hotel is overrated. It charges a lot for alot of style and not a lot of substance! It looks very fancy, and the Wedding itself was a beautiful affair. However, I feel that the hotel could do with the rooms being updated and fixed up to match its style in Wedding. The restaraunt wasn't much to write home about and the drinks prices were astronomical!

All in all, do not stay in this hotel if you are a woman travelling alone. They basically, take your money and don't really seem bothered about what happens after that. Wouldn't stay there again. I booked this hotel as a treat as it was a friend getting married, have since emailed them to complain about the issues raised above but have never received even an acknowledgement of the service I received.

Room Tip: Book another hotel, or at least ask for a room in the main building!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dunshaughlin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

There has been nothing too difficult for this team to resolve. My trips have now become frequent as I thoroughly enjoy my return visits. The Food, the staff and the comforts in the leisure facilities make this perfect for business or pleasure. I would highly recommend anyone to visit this ideal little piece of pleasure in the middle of a beautiful area. When I couldn't arrange a taxi to get me to the station very early in the morning, the team sorted the night porter to ensure I got there safe and sound. I emerged from the building to find a lovely young man holding the door like a gentleman, took my case and safely got me to my destination.

Room Tip: I've stayed in the POD's, the Anex & the main building... each different and each comfor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The staff at Old Thorns were fantastic. When I was supporting my elderly disabled father they could not do enough to help. The room was cleaned to a very high standard and any requests (more pillows, extra lamp etc ) were responded to immediately. I have to single out Sue & Hayley on reception for a special mention as their efficiency and friendliness was the epitome of excellent customer service. Lovely facilities and the feel of a boutique hotel but on a large scale.

With regard to disabled access:
The hotel has no disabled access rooms in the main building and are situated in the Allis Building, which though very close does require a steep climb on tarmac to access the main building where the restaurant is (bear this in mind if you are pushing a wheelchair as I was). You would need to be physically fit if using a self propel wheelchair to get up the incline. The only dropped kerb was out side the pro shop which was usually obstructed by golf trollies ( understandably as Old Thorns is a great golf resort!!). It would be REALLY useful to drop the kerb at intervals or at least where the disabled access point is to the main building.

Fire Evacuation - in the course of my work I book a lot of disabled access rooms for the people I work with. Old Thorns is the first place in the last couple of years not to require me to complete a PEEP (personal emergency evacuation plan) for the person using the room. This is a simple but valuable document for a quick reference for the fire service and staff should an evacuation be necessary. Be aware that the alternative exit for the rooms requires a 'step over'

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in one of the luxury Eco pods and we are pleased to say it was fantastic!! It has all the amenities you would expect in a hotel room and offers a romantic cosey feel! We loved the spa treatment and enjoyed the swimming area! The food was brilliant and the champagne bar afterwards was a perfect setting for a romantic night! We are so pleased with the experience and will Deffently be going back!!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!