“Elizabeth Foundation Golf Day” 5 of 5 stars

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Griggs Green, Liphook GU30 7PE , England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Angmering
“Elizabeth Foundation Golf Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just had a great day at Old Thorns Manor and Golf Course. Very impressed with the facilities and how we were greeted and looked after. Speacial mention to the pro shop manager James Lynch who looked after us so well and attended to all our needs.
Would definitely go back for another visit soon. Keep up the good work James.
Kevin Ruffle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Took my family here for Fathers Day. Two courses for £15.95 and you can pile it high so great value. Quality of food was excellent as was the service. The whole place had a good feel and we've used the champagne bar before. Keen to try the golf at the nex visit.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at Old Thorns for 3 days and 2 nights of golf.
Booking the break was effortless and the customer service we received was very professional. We were fortunate to be upgraded to the Surrey Penthouse (funny how being polite can open doors!) and the room was brilliant. Literally outside our front door was the pro-shop and about a 10 second walk to the first tee.
The golf course itself is immaculate. We played after a day of heavy rain but the course showed no affects of this weather and played superbly.
Over the 3 days we could see why this golf course appeals so much. Beautiful views, challenging holes, and consistent greens. The green keepers really do work hard.
The hotel and facilities were very good. I have never seen a gym which is so modern and with such a variety of machines. It must be one of the best looking gyms I've been in and looking over the first tee and 18th green whilst working out on the treadmill helps relieve the boredom of a cardio workout.
Swimming pool with sauna, steam room and hot-tubs were in pristine condition.
Food was excellent and we were treated very well. The staff were helpful and were all friendly. ( all except the gents who work in the pro-shop who forget how to smile).
This place is highly recommended by myself and the lads who also played golf.
Will be making it a yearly thing.
Absolutely loved it.

• Stayed June 2013
wolverhampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Mixed feelings on this review.

Firstly the positive. My company was organising a training day here for customers which I would be heading up. I wasn't involved in the organisation, but my colleague said that Steve who she spoke to was very efficient - and so he proved to be when we arrived at the conference facility. Steve was professional in his greeting and couldn't do enough to help and ensure the room was as we wanted it. The room, the set up and the facility was exactly as we wanted and the day went very well.

Now for the disappointing bits, which are mainly to do with catering:-
Lunch for the conference was pretty bland and not all that generous. My colleague and I were the last down for lunch and there was practically nothing left. We took one look and headed to the Starbucks on site which was much nicer. But that is just a niggle. Equally I don't like to see waste so I wouldn't expect huge amounts of over catering.

My bigger grumble was the night before. As I needed somewhere to stay it made sense to use the hotel. The room was fine, although the free WiFi was very 'hit and miss' in the annex room I was in. I was on a package which included dinner, and as this was a somewhat grander hotel than I would usually use for business I was looking forward to relaxing over a pleasant evening meal. I got there to be confronted with a Carvery - oh dear! There really is nothing worse than over cooked meat and boiled veg. The carvery really lets this hotel down and doesn't fit the image it is trying to live up to. While I fully expect a 'dinner incl' package to offer me a limited choice of main courses, I do not expect a carvery. I don't know if the carvery was mentioned to my colleague when she booked the room, but had I been aware I would have stayed elsewhere.

I would happily use this hotel again for conferences, and would recommend it for that. But to stay I would honestly rather be in a Premier Inn - at least there I would get a decent choice of good honest pub grub at a reasonable value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chalfont St Giles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

April 2013 a golf trip with 'the girls' which we do every year and have had wonderful times. There always has to be a failure and this was IT. Rooms not ready, made up with double beds (for 13 women???!) which took over 4 hours to have housekeeping change, one apartment (sleeping 6) without hot water for 2 days. Only 9 holes of the golf course open on the first day due to bad weather, which was not unusual, but no-one told us when we checked into the pro shop. We only discovered this on the first tee with other groups waiting to tee off on our tee time or slot in which, of course, made it a very slow round. One buggy taken for an older member of our group had a faulty battery which would not go up the very steep slopes so we had to take everything off and carry it (and virtually her too). Could not get an immediate refund because we did not have the credit card receipt with us! 2nd night in the carvery restaurant the beef was tough (last nights?) and had to be sent back and a distinct lack of salad. Staff are delightful but trainees on the reception desk with no backup is not fair to them or the client. Subsequent complaint letters have been met with disdain and disinterest which is similar to the treatment on site.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Slough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just came back from 2 nghts in one of the Ecosheds,. I would say that if placed somewhere else and with the odd bit of Maintenance here and there these sheds would be quite nice. However right in front of them is a path of the Shingle variety and IF you get a bunch of Numbtys deciding to trot up and down i till 3.30 am while talking loudly outside its very disturbing. The Photos on the Old Thorns site are quite misleading too they show these Pods placed in a tranquil idil not jammed up next to one another just shoved out of the way pointing towards the back of the buildings and Carpark.
The Pod itself looked like it was once quite nice but largely ignored by the maintenance shedule for quite some time. Faults included... An inner door latch that has never worked and is not fit for Purpose meaning that there was little to no Security in the Pod. This would not have been an issue since the site was monitired by the very obvious CCTV point on the Guttering of the building opposite. This however was obviously not being monitored or acted upon as nobody came along to "ave a word" with the revelers outside our cabin (who on occasaion as well as shouting/swearing loudly and constantly traipsing up and down the loud gravel path every 5 minutes at stupid O Clock decided that a shortcut accross our Patio shaking the whole cabin would be a good move) The Door Blind was broken and rolled up above the door in an untidy manner a handle was falling off a chest of drawers and the TV cut out at 11.45 and lost signal on Thrusday eve.
Pretty much all the staff we met were hurried, dismissive and dispondant which makes me wonder what sort of employer we were dealing with? The Girl that we mentioned our missgivings to on our way out had the expression that said she had heard it many times before. and she rolled off the most insincere appology I had heard either.
If some of these other reviews are anything to go from. I will await a standard following protocols "we consider your reviews Yada yadda without saying sorry" response from a from a disinterested PR person on the defensive in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have been to old thorns on several occasions and the place gets better each time. I was there last September with a group of 12 playing golf and was lucky to stay in one of the apartments, superb. Excellent course, superb facilities and caring staff. My friends have requested a return visit this year and that is where the trouble started. I sent an email from there website requesting a quotation for the 70s night plus Friday night and sat night accommodation with golf. Waited over a week for a response by telephone by a very apologetic gentleman who then email a quotation. 3 days later I replied via email requesting possible tee times. That was on 13/05/13. 3 weeks later I still have had no reply, despite calling the hotel twice and on both occasions leaving voicemail messages requesting a call back and send another email on 5/6/13 I still have had no reply from the hotel. My advice if booking this hotel is to do via a third party company. As I said before, superb golf break location but shocking customer service.

Room Tip: If in a group request one of the apartments