“The MOST Amazing Wedding venue. Thank you Old Thorns!” 5 of 5 stars

Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Griggs Green, Liphook GU30 7PE , England   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London, United Kingdom
“The MOST Amazing Wedding venue. Thank you Old Thorns!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

It is the day after our wedding at Old Thorns and we have to write down what an utterly fantastic time we had. Mainly down to the professionalism of the staff and in particular Stewart who was outstanding. To set the scene, we chose this venue 1 year ago and have been back frequently over the months to watch the changes to this hotel unfold. At times there was trepidation as to what new building or decor would spring up next but we need not have worried. This place just keeps getting better on every visit! The staff have been absolutely wonderful throughout the past year and made us feel so welcome. I cannot speak highly enough about them all. Some of the room bookings went a little awry on the day but it was dealt with swiftly and professionally and nothing was too much trouble i.e. adding in extra beds and extra towels, room service etc. The food was fantastic (compliments to the chef, who sat down with us personally to help us chose the menu a few months prior) and everyone commented on the quality and amount of food provided. For our photos we were taken out of a golf buggy to view the most amazing scenery. All-in-all an incredibly professional and well organised day from start to finish. I just want to say thank you to a few people in particular; Diane - for looking after me both mornings, the big hugs and being as cool as a cucumber. Donna - for everything leading up to the day. Nothing was too much trouble and she had so many great ideas. James - for the wine tasting and the chatter. Ashley - for running such a great venue and taking the time to talk to us every time we visited! And finally - last but not least - Stewart who was absolutely brilliant. I've never been so well looked after in my life - I felt like a princess and he was an absolute superstar and such a professional. He is a true asset to the hotel and we cannot thank him enough for ensuring everything went so smoothly. Again, we had such a great day and we are now quite sad now not to be going back! Thank you Old Thorns!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011 via mobile

I had a spa day with my bridesmaids and mum before my big day, the pool and surrounding seating area was lovely, has steam room and sauna ( a little on the small side, so could imagine would get crowded easily on a busy day) we arrived Sunday morning, and were given directions to the spa by reception staff, we had to walk right through the hotel including a corridor of guest rooms(!) once there, we had the place to ourselves and staff were friendly and helpful, including our therapist Stacey, who did all our treatments, everyone in our party agreed she gave excellent treatments, taking her time and was very caring,in particular the facial was given top marks! Also would highly recommend the platter of strawberries with chocolate coating- although make sure you book them at least the day before to make sure they can have them properly chilled. Lunch was a little hit and miss in terms of value for money. Half our party chose bagettes which came with salad and crisps, and they struggled to finish being so full,the others chose jacket potatoes, and that's all it was, not much filling and left us hungry. Depending on what treatments you had, depends where you had to go, it seemed for facials and massages, you had to walk down a long corridor of hotel rooms to get to the treatment rooms, which when you're in your swimming costume and slippers, you feel a little like a plonked! However Manuicures and pedicures were done in rooms just off swimming pool area. All treatment rooms ( once there!) were clean, lovely and relaxing, very modern ( although a little on the chilly side to start with)
We did ask if music could be played through swimming pool area and were very obliging. Overall, we all had a lovely day being pampered and would come back again even if it were just for the strawberries!!

• Stayed July 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

we booked this hotel for a senior managere event where we requried a venue that delivered somethign special to thank our managerds for their hard work over the last year. The hotel and conference area delivered on all accounts.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

What a location for a hotel, right in the Surrey countryside, staff are very friendly and the rooms very large and well presented. Breakfast and dinner were lovely. cant recommend it enough and great value too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Camberley, Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We found this place at short notice on laterooms.com when we were trying to find the best value for short notice bookings. Got £75 bed and breakfast including use of the pool, spa and gym. We were not disappointed with the stay or the value and will go back again sometime if there are deals on.

The place is essentially a golf club and a country ‘wedding factory’ hotel rolled into one. There has clearly been a lot of money spent on the place and building / development work continues as of the end of June 2011. There seems to be a pretty huge sports hall being built at the back of the place and various other things, including car park extension, etc. So I would expect some work in progress to be evident.

Our room was the in the Peter Alliss Annex and was perfectly adequate and functional and well equipped. Everything was well made / well constructed with the exception of the room safe which was not actually attached to anything so someone could theoretically just pick it up and walk out!!! But basically, the emphasis for the whole development appears to be to get it right and not about scrimping and cutting corners to save on costs.

The golf course looks quite smart but the signs all round make it clear that they are quite snotty about dress code, etc. Tailored shorts only, etc. I asked about the prices for golf and was told that it works out about £10 cheaper if you prebook online rather than pay on the day!

The hotel has a very well equipped sports bar with flatscreen TVs all round. Very modern and quite comfy. The sports bar menu was very much ‘pub grub’ and of positively average pub grub quality – quite overpriced for what you get to be honest. There is another more plush bar in the main hotel and a posh restaurant as well which looked very nice and had a huge selection of wines on display!!

Pool was quite good. maybe 15m long so enough for a good swim. Plenty comfy seating around the pool. Decent showers. The fairly small gym was well equipped with modern machines too!!

Breakfast was pretty average to be honest – standard hotel buffet style. Not everything was hot.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

In May 2011 I booked my annual golf/spa event at Old Thorns to take place in August 2011. We have a group of around 30 people who have been attending this event for the past 10 years at various venues around the country. This is the first time in those 10 years that I have felt the need to write a negative review!

After agreeing the date for booking and rates I was advised that all was booked, but that I was being passed to a new representative to deal with our ongoing booking. I have no problem with that as this is a fairly common scenario over the time period of such a booking. After a few weeks of not hearing from the new contact I dropped them a call to make sure all was in hand and ask a few specific questions. This call was shortly followed up by the receipt of an email from them, which is where the fun began! I was advised that due to a new reservations system being implemented my booking had been completely cancelled! Not to worry though, they had a solution in mind - that being to put 10 of the rooms I had booked in something akin to a garden shed under the pretence of this being a fun alternative to a hotel room! Now, call me fussy, but when I book a 4 star hotel room for a weekend break, I generally do not expect to have to bunk up in an outside cabin with no facilities, even at a slightly reduced rate that was offered. It may well be a fun "glamping" experience if that's what you are looking for, but if I wanted to go camping, guess what, I'd go camping!

My request to simply remove the later bookings that had been made after mine and put them into the sheds fell on deaf ears, as did my request for the manager to contact me to discuss the matter. Instead, they proposed ferrying us to alternative hotels after our dinner - again, if I wanted to stay in a different hotel, guess what I would have done!

So anyway, there ends my review! I have no idea what the hotel is like, or the food, or the leisure facilities...I wish I did! However, on reading a few more reviews on this site it seems this is an endemic customer service issue within this hotel and we may actually have dodged a bullet on this one. I look forward to taking my large and valuable booking to a hotel with some level of competence!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Liphook hotels

Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I booked via Last Minute a 'luxury 4 poster room' for my Husband and I to celebrate his 40th Birthday. The hotel was advertised as a 'top secret' hotel - one which you don't find out the location until you have booked and paid for it. This gives you the impression that you are getting a 'deal' and a 'special' price, which is not the case as after I booked I found the same room was cheaper on another website!

We checked into the hotel and were shown our room which yes, was a four poster bed but was not luxury - it was a small basic room with a four poster bed in. I asked at reception if there were any luxury rooms availbale in the main part of the hotel, we were given a room which was dark, smelly and looking out on some debis from the building work which was taking place, needless to say we opted to stay in the small 'luxury 4 poster room'. However the receptionist did go to the effort of finding another 'luxury 4 poster bed room' which was larger and therfore a little more to our liking.

We went to the gym and pool which was OK, you can tell that they haven't spent any money on it for a while due to the new spa being bulit.

We asked reception for some ice to be sent to our room which they agreed to but never came, my husband phoned to remind them of the requst he was then told that it would cost £15.00 for the ice!

I did mention when booking and to the receptionist that we were celebrating my husbands 40th birthday but no 'special touches' were added to the room.

We ate in the restaurant and had drinks in all bars - all experiences were good.

To summerise the stay was OK. My husband and I had a lovley time despite all fo the above but, I do resent paying more for a 'special offer' which wasn't! and the 'luxury' room which wasn't. I do think that if the hotel mgmt read these comments (which I don't think they do due to the recurring themes in the reviews) the hotel mgmt just wouldn't care. The hotel oviously is making huge amounts of money otherwise they wouldn't be expanding to such a degree. I think there are better hotels nearby which offer a higer standard of accomodation and customer service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course? Share your experiences!