“Hair in food & popodom baskets caked in old yogurt dip & mango chutney!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hook Tandoori

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Hook
Cuisines: Indian, Vegetarian, Bangladeshi, Asian fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Hook Tandoori is an Award-Winning Indian Restaurant, specializing in unique fusions of dishes from the Sub-Continent. Located in the heart of Hook, Hampshire - Hook Tandoori provides a charming and relaxed dinning experience catered for all. Looking after the regulars and making new customers feel at home.
Hampshire, UK
“Hair in food & popodom baskets caked in old yogurt dip & mango chutney!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our extended family have been using this restaurant/takeaway since they opened 20+ years ago! Never again....or unless it changes hands!

Firstly the popodom tray was coated in old mint yogurt dip and mango chutney, so we ased for a clean basket, but the second one came out exactly the same, so by this stage the manager (wearing dirty, scruffy clothes and not looking well groomed) told us that none of them go in the dishwasher, and so they wash them, but they take so long to dry them at the end of night!? So I don't believe they bother!?!

Then our main course came out, the waiter put the currys on the table and went to get the rices and under the curly raw vegetable decoration was a black hair. It was my daughter who saw it first & pointed out to my wife! We immediately told the waiter, who got his manager and the manager started saying it wasn't their hair - implying it must be my wife's or daughters!! But it was entwined around the raw vegetable decoration and neither my wife or daughter have jet black hair and it was too short to be either of there's!

In the end we told the awful manager we had enough and wanted to pay for the poppodums & drinks and go, so we did!! As we walked he was still arguing that it wasn't one of their hairs!

Utterly disgusted with the managers customer service skills, we had no apology, he just kept arguing - and we weren't happy to waste our money or eat food in a place with so many hygiene issues- whatever happened to the customer is always right? I note some other hygiene issues in other reviews, so there's an obvious problem here!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Odiham
“Very good food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Good service by friendly staff but the deal-maker is the terrific food. We've tried most of the local alternatives but always return to the HT.

Visited February 2013
Limassol, Cyprus
“Main meal was a let down.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The popadoms and dip were great, the naan bread and rice were lovely too. BUT the main meal wasn't great at all. I had tandoori tikka masala and it wasn't great, even bones in it. The price wasn't cheap at all.

Great atmosphere and great service too. Just wish it had been better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Basingstoke
“Not sure it was VFM...?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visited Hook Tandoori for first time last week, with friends, even though it is quite local to me. Overall I did like the decor, the atmosphere etc etc but it is very expensive compared with other Indian restaurants and I am not sure it represented value for money. My dish was a little too salty and not as nice as I have experienced elsewhere. Rice was quite poor, naan bread was good and the main and side were quite greasy. They also got our bill wrong, but we did realise and it was sorted swiftly. I noticed the couple next to us had to wait a long time for to pay their bill. All things considered, I would go back but I would order a different meal and watch the prices a little closer when ordering.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Why could this place not be in London!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I came to Hook for businesses purposes, the town itself isn't the most interesting place in the world so dining and drinking were the only real things to do outside of the hotel without travelling to far. The hotel receptionist suggested we try this place if were in to indian food (I love curry!) so the receptionist booked us a table

We got there and my colleagues and I were surprised with how brightly lit this place was. when we walked we were greeted by a member of staff and taken to our table, whilst walking to the table other members of staff greeted us too which was kind of nice. the restaurant itself is very abstract and tastefully decorated there are lots of modern places indian restaurants like this but this place seemed a lot more classy.

We were give menus and asked for drink and papadums, the menu was great it was book with pictures and quotes related to food which is very thoughtful i think. the menu had all the classic dishes you would expect to find in a typical curry house, they also had a range of dishes that were unique to their restaurant, including a selection of beef dishes which you don't you see in many places even in London. i ordered a chicken chat for starters and the waiter suggested i try tandoori chicken morrisa which came with pulau rice (it was his favorite!) i also ordered an aubergine bhaji for a side.

the papadums came with a fantastic selection of chutneys they were not your standard selection, the mint yogurt and mango were lovely i could have ordered more papadums just to carry on eating them! after finishing papadums we only waited a few minutes for starters come. the chicken chat was amazing! the pancake was light and slightly crispy the actual chicken was spiced beautifully and an extra bonus was that it was served with the mint yogurt! my only gripe would be that it could have been a big larger.

The mains were served my colleague ordered a beef dish which looked tasty, my tandoori chicken morrisa looked great too. the chicken wasn't the standard chicken tikka it was strips of tandoori chicken, the aubergine bhaji was really nice it wasn't the normal aubergine so i inquired the waiter told me it was a different type of aubergine from india. My dish was one of the best curries I've ever tasted, the chicken was succulent and moist the sauce so moreish with its spiciness, peppers shallots and its deep rich flavor all came together, to briefly say it wasn't your regular curry. the aubergines were great too they had onions with it which really made the dish.

after our mains we weren't really able to order desserts because of the portion size of the curries, which is a good thing! we asked for the bill, when the bill came we were each served some complimentary port which was just a great added touch to this gem of a restaurant.

I cannot believe that i found such a brilliant restaurant in such a sleepy little town. i cannot rate this place highly enough! just wish it was closer to me!

• Visited January 2013