“Chaos reigned” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fleet
fromScotland
“Chaos reigned”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) to go to a wedding locally along with 26 other guests to the wedding. All booked in April in advance including the bride. We paid for an upgraded Executive Room and was allocated Room 59 on the ground floor which must be the darkest room ever at the back wooded corner of the hotel. Reasonable room (no lightbulb in bedside light) but not 'executive' level. To get ready for a 2pm wedding all the lights were on in the room as no sunlight/daylight at all. A meal for 8 in our party was booked for the Fri evening four days before arrival but, despite very few other guests in the restaurant, it was clear the kitchen was in chaos and could not cope. The reason given was that some guests were ordering bar meals. Eventually at 10pm, some 2 hrs after starting the meal, the dining room manager apologised and offered a complimentary bottle of wine. The next chaos happened at booking out time on the Sunday morning. Firstly ,for nearly half an hour no one was available to settle bills by which time a lengthy queue had built up. When asked if an additional member of staff could be present to assist the queue this was declined. The queue took approximately one hour to clear (witnessed as we sat patiently in the foyer area). We had booked and wanted to pay for 4 rooms and no one at reception was capable of co-ordinating all bookings into one payment. There was another group attending a further wedding in the area and they were extremely annoyed at the check out delays.
On putting these points in writing to the hotel manager soon after the visit, no acknowledgment or response has ever been received.
At £105 per night B&B only for the Executive rate this was not cheap as dinner was extra. The block booking for hotel guests was £85 B&B and very little difference could be identified in the quality of rooms.The lack of staff and service was very worrying if you consider the hotel was well aware of the influx of guests months in advance.

• Liked — Close proximity to Fleet town centre, good car parking
  • Disliked — Complete lack of service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Dunstable
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

My stay wasn't quite so awful as some of the others but it certainly wasn't the best I have experienced!
Food was OK, service was prettty lacklustre and the staff seemed to be trying hard.
On the positive side I seemed to be witnessing the arrival of a new manager who was having a walk round with a member of staff. From what I could overhear he seems to know what he is talking about and will make the right changes! I stay in the area quite a lot and will return to see if he is as good as he sounded!
Final moan - the sign at the entrance is awful!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zurich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

This hotel is an absolute dump. For £100 per night - there should be at least a wardrobe and a mini-bar in the room and a TV that works. (There weren't any of these). The bed looked as though it would collapse any minute. I can honestly say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I also cannot work out why the rooms are so expensive. A good B & B is better than this

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

My wife and I spent one night (Sat/Sun) arriving late afternoon about the same time as the wedding party. Despite which
we were dealt with quickly and efficiently, and given the 'garden room' we'd asked for on the ground floor.
We'd thought to go out for a meal by walking into Fleet but we didn't see a restaurant we fancied so returned and ordered bar meals. We were served in the restaurant. The meals were excellent, freshly cooked and good value.
The bed was firmer than we have at home but not uncomfortable.
We like our breakfasts so can be fussy. Breakfast was excellent with a wide selection of fruit, cereals and juice starters etc. through to croissants, freshly sliced ham and cheese and so on.
The staff were helpful, polite and efficient.
For £75 the room including B & B, plus what we spent in the bar was good value.
What's more when we booked we were told we would not hear the wedding party going through the night and we didn't.
This is not a large modern hotel. Parts of it look Edwardian. But it was clean, safe and comfortable and everything worked. For an overnight stay it fitted the bill exactly. No complaints, in fact the staff got a tip and we don't do that easily!

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed here in August of 2008. The hotel is overpriced for what it is, particularly as it is in need of a complete renovation in all public and bedroom areas.
The breakfast was rubbish and whilst the young staff try their best there aren't enough of them and no evidence of any leadership.
At night there was loads of noise from drunken revelers and despite complaining to the front desk this noise continued for hours.
At check out time there was one member of staff on duty and it took over 30minutes of queuing before we were able to pay and leave.
Yet again I realise that I should always check tripadvisor before I go anywhere!!

• Stayed August 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Hotel is extremely dated and very tatty, wallpaper coming away from walls in the hallway and bedroom. Reception staff were poor, took a very long time to locate my reservation at check in and then at check out automatically added breakfast to the bill even though we did not eat breakfast there - Check your bill!! When I queried this they did not amend the bill, i had to cross out myself and amend the total and there was no apology. Would not stay here again ever, would much prefer a Travelodge!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

The only reason I stayed in this hotel was that I was in Fleet on business and the hotel had been pre-booked and prepaid for me by my company. After reading about the hotel on their website, I had decent expectations and my god did they let me down?

First off, the following which is listed on there website are either complete lies or very far from the truth:

"The rooms have complete comfort in mind and The Lismoyne Hotel proudly offers a wide range of modern amenities, including:

Ensuite bathrooms and deluxe power showers - my shower at best was a dribble and the whole bathroom was covered in limescale.
Sky television - I had 4 TV channels and a remote control with no batteries. I mean, aren't the cleaning staff meant to check these things?
DVD players and a selection of DVDs to hire from reception - they fail to mention that this is at an additional expense and you have to go to reception to get them and install the DVD player yourself. They have ONE DVD player in the whole hotel so if someone else is using it, tough!
Fast broadband access in all bedrooms - At a cost of £10 a day!!
Wireless internet access in the public areas - wasn't working
Alarm clocks - didn't work
Laptop Safes - absolute lie, no laptop safes
Chrome finished bathroom suites - gimme a break, limescale ridden, germ infested holes!
Televisions - from the 1960s
Suitcase stand - nope, none of these present
Peace, quiet and tranquillity - my room was next to the car park.

My "double bed" was two very small single beds pushed together and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the matresses were at least 2 inches different in height!

I couldn't believe how overpriced this place was. If it had been £50 a night, I'd still be complaining as much. Avoid this hotel at all costs. There is a McDonalds down the road, they may let you sleep on their floor and you'd have a better nights sleep.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lismoyne Hotel? Share your experiences!