“Give this one a miss unless you are desperate” 1 of 5 stars

Lismoyne Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Church Rd, Fleet GU51 4NE, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fleet
Nr Bedford, UK
“Give this one a miss unless you are desperate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

We paid £100 per night (as there was a sub-contractors exhibition on at Farnborough, the hotel was listed on info from the exhibition company).

The hotel from outside doesn't look too bad (well looks dated), but when you get inside it is very dated and has some old furniture to try and give it an authentic doesn't work as one piece of furniture I saw outside my room in the hall had a bit of paper to keep the door closed.

I had room 15 (my colleague had room 16), the rooms we had was very small (reminded me of a small cupboard), mine had a bath and shower and my colleague in room 16 just had a shower cubicle, the bedroom floors were dirty, the single bed small and uncomfortable. The tv small and old, the whole room needed a refurbishment, only saving grace was my bathroom was fairly new and clean, but in the bathroom it had a note to say if you had forgotten anything items can be purchased such as toothbrush etc.

There was a constant loud drone of a extractor fan from the kitchen outside my window, this started at about 6.20am and was shut off (thank god) at around 11pm when the kitchen was closed I guess.

I had my work laptop and asked about internet connection, they said that there is network connection in the room and the cost is £10 til 11am in the morning or wireless downstairs for £5 per hour, I used the network connection in the room for 2 nights and didn't get charged for the connection for some reason.

This was my first time in Fleet and was difficult to find decent restaurants in the centre, but maybe this was because we weren't local?

I recommend to avoid if you can find something else

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

Hotel looks good from the outside, good centrral location for Fleet. The family room we stayed in was horrible and not only in serious need of redecorating. Dirty stained bedding on one bed, sofa bed about a hundred years old and due for throwing away. Travel cot without a mattress, baby expected to sleep on a sheet over a metal frame ! Staff did try to help but command of English was poor and we ended up having to sleep the baby on his change mat. All in all a thoroughly unpleasant stay, The 4 star claim and prices are a disgrace and I would not recommend this hotel however close to fleet centre you want to be, next time we will pay for taxis and stay further away !

• Stayed December 2007
Somerset, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

My wife & I stayed here as it was conveniently located for a wedding we were attending. There were though a series of shortcomings, some small & just niggling, other though more annoying.
On booking in, I had to sign a credit card 'chit' for £30 more than than the agreed reasonable (£75) B&B price. It appears the hotel does not trust its customers not to abscond without paying their bills. In the morning on booking out, I signed a further chit for the pre-agreed £75, but was told I could not be given a chit cancelling the £105 signed the day before, but that 'it would not be used.' All this left a rather nasty taste in my mouth.
Having booked in (at about 3pm) found our room not made up with bedding strewn all over the place, including the floor. Hardly hygienic. Luckily didn't matter as we only wanted to drop off our cases & head for the wedding.
Curtains falling off their hooks & could not be closed properly. Bath plug hd no chain, so having had a bath you couldn't get the plug out of the plughole! Wanting a bath in the morning, I was therefore confronted with wife's cold water from night before. However, as there was no hot water in the morning perhaps this didn't really matter!
Woken up at 1am. & kept awake for some time due to a very noisly party in the (I think) bar under our room.
Breakfast. Had to wait (it was a Sunday morning) for 15 minutes for a table at breakfast. When we eventually were given one, not told what the breakfast system was, not offered tea/coffee, no jam etc or butter/marg on our table, self-service food hot dishes were not being replenished and the plates were cold.
Finally, on booking out, asked to speak to 'the manager' but told as it was a Sunday there 'would be no one from the management' there until the next day.
Overall, a well situated hotel, in a nice setting but one felt that perhaps over the weekend, it was deserted by 'management.' A pity. I did write to 'The Manager' about these points a couple of days after our visit, but have received no response to date. Rather a pity that what should be a pleasant place to stay, just wasn't when we were there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A series of irritating shortcomngs
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

This place has so much potential, but currently, I could not recommend it to anyone. Internally, the building looks very tired. Decoration and furniture generally in poor condition. I had a big room, but it was very shabby, and a big bathroom that was freezing cold. Food in the restaurant was dreadful, and the staff, although willing, have poor command of English, and not a clue about waiting on table.
And it's way too expensive!
AVOID!

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Engalnd
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

Customer Service / Pride - 3 words not in the hotel managemet's dictionary.
Setting the scene - The hotel was very full for the 2 nights that we were there, possible fully booked on the second night ( Saturday).
One wing did not have heating / air conditioning. Guests had to ask for alternative forms of heating. Not all got it. No attempt appeared to have been made to rectify the problem on the Saturday.
With the exception of full English selection the supplies at breakfast on the first morning were minimal. I had to ask for yoghurt. My wife asked for poached eggs on toast and was firmly told she had to make her own toast in the machine. She was part way through her fruit starter when the waitress brought her eggs and forced them on the table. Only one cup of coffee/tea was provided unless a waitress was sought out and specifically asked to provide more..
Sunday morning, the fruit selecton comprised chunks of melon and, after asking, nothing else.
One resident found himself locked out of his own ensuite in the middle of the night as the door had locked itself and had to call the night porter.
I think the place was summed up when, after checking out, I overheard a lady return to the reception desk to say that 2 meals were not on her bill. The receptionists reaction was to tell her that the lady was too honest and that she, the receptionist, would have walked away.
With a lot of care, staff training and active management the hotel could be a good venue as the rooms would be, after refurbishment, ok . Best avoided, if possible, but there doesn't appear to be much else in the middle of Fleet.

• Disliked — Tired Facilites / abrupt service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Irvine, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

The Lismoyne is handy if you have to stay near the centre of Fleet. I've stayed here a few times over the past few years.
The executive rooms based in the extension to the main building are absolutely fine. Big and clean enough. Rooms in the old part, in my experience are generally a nightmare. Staff are almost all young foreign-born workers.
I have found the breakfast to be completely acceptable. Bar meals leave a lot to be desired.
Last time there, it cost me £130 a night which is way over priced. Therefore, won't be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

On all the literature at this hotel they say "Conferences. Weddings. Events". This pretty much, in my view, sums up what this hotel delivers on and focuses on - affordale venue for events.

We were staying there for one night as we were attending some friend's 40th birthday and had booked to stay to avoid driving so we could have a drink (or two or three). It was perfectly fine for this, but it did end up being a slightly strange place to visit. It is basically an old large house, that I guess was originally in the country but now is close to the centre of Fleet. Then sprawling out from it are some accommodation wings which are fine but feel very functional rather than well designed.

Although the rooms and blocks seem to have been renovated some time recently, they are all very old fashioned and feel a lot like your well meaning granny was the interior designer. Service is friendly but a bit strange. It is not quite Fawltey Towers but is a bit unusual. For example when we checked in, the address on the check-in form had an address in Germany and not ours in the UK, and the lady on reception just laughed and said that the system always puts the wrong addresses on and not to worry.

Our room, which was one of the executive versus standard rooms, was quite a long walk through winding corridors but the advantage is that it is far from the main building which is probably a good idea as there are wedding and 21st parties there a lot it seems.

The room was clean but dated, as photos that I have posted will show. The bed was very large but not that comfortable compared to many of the chain hotels that have invested in very comfy beds, line and pillows. The pillows were especially hard. They use sheets and blankets rather then duvets.

We ate lunch in the bar which was ok, and were amused as some other guests were told the chef only served food exactly as it was on the menu and the change they had requested would not be accommodated. From what we could gather it was a minor request that a smarter hotel would do without batting an eye, but clearly here the customer is not king!

This place is only one to stay if you are in the local area at and event, and one night is enough.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed and pillows
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lismoyne Hotel? Share your experiences!