“Great for short stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Fareham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great for short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed her for two nights on business, very nice hotel on the outskirts of Fareham, very friendly staff and a short taxi ride into town. Breakfast was really good. The gym and pool is also good. The only annoying negative was £12 for 24 hours. Wi fi, you should not have to pay extra for wi fi in this day and age.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is always great to read our guests writing about how friendly our team are, a comment that I shall be sure to pass on. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast service too and found the hotel suited your needs. Complimentary WiFi is set to be offered by June this year to all of our IHG Rewards members. We hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, Sonya Young

349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
chelmsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We used this hotel as a base for visiting the Histopric docks, we took two rooms and used the Spa which was a bit dated, however the staff at this property make all the difference. I would 100% recommend this hotel just down to the staff and would use the hotel for this reason, the location is good but the rooms a little tired and needing a spruce up

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay. Our team here always try to offer the best possible service to all of our guests so I am delighted to read you referring to our team as "excellent", a comment that I shall be sure to share. We are delighted that you would recommend our hotel to others and hope to see you here again soon. Kind Regards, Sonya Young
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Never use this hotel again. bad service and the old woman at the reception was not at all helpful.
Breakfast was just OK and nothing special and the rooms were again nothing special. It was clean enough BUT not worth what I had to pay to stay for 2 nights!! What a way to waste your money.
Some Holiday Inn are good but this one is the worst one I have used. NEVER AGAIN!!

Room Tip: A very good example how not to run a hotel in England!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry to read that you found that your stay did not meet your expectations. I shall personally ensure that your comments are shared with the front desk team regarding the level of service that you experienced from our receptionist and can only apologise, I can ensure you that this is not a usual occurrence. I am sorry to read that you will not visit again. Thank you again for you feedback. Kind Regards, Sonya
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Slightly off-putting start when almost none of the lighting in the car park seemed to be working and I had to hunt down someone to check me in. Things quickly improved however. Room was clean and comfortable. Unusual sliding wooden shutters in place of curtains made for very good blackout and contributed to a good night's sleep.
Mostly young staff were very enthusiastic and helpful, and service in the restaurant and bar were excellent.
Booked well in advance and felt the rate paid represented very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry that you felt your arrival experience was not to the standard in which you would expect from our hotel. Please be assured that repairs to the car park lighting is being looked into. I am happy to read that you felt our team were enthusiastic and helpful, I shall be sure to pass on your feedback as I know they will all be delighted to read this. I am also very happy to read that the shutter blinds added to the good night sleep that you had throughout your stay. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future. Kind Regards, Sonya
Beccles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed here for three nights and was greeted by the ladies on reception who from the outset wanted to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. The double room I stayed in was clean and tidy. Really what more can you ask for? The bath room was also clean and tidy, and the shower almost blasted you out of the bath. Did have a little trouble with the shower curtain as if you don't ensure its up to the wall totally, you get a wet floor.
I only have a couple of niggles, nothing serious, there was a serious gap under the room door which allowed you to hear noise from the corridor (doors closing) and let in light at night.
A friend who was also staying here also was supplied with bottles of water and hot chocolate in his room, neither of which were in my room. The water at least would have been good as the air conditioning did create a dry atmosphere in the room. Breakfast was great a good selection and again the staff looked after you all the while. Checking out again staff wanted to make sure you had a good stay and the curly wurly was a great treat for the way home. This was a good location for Portsmouth and Gosport etc. Overall I would have no problems returning to this holiday in, it was possibly one of the best I have stayed in....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay with us. I am always pleased to read such great comments regarding our team here and in particular our reception team and breakfast team, who shall be honoured at your kind comments as I know that they strive on offering great service to all of our guests. I am sorry to read of your minor complaints, our executive bedrooms do provide water and a chocolate bar as standard unlike our standard bedrooms, however we are always happy to offer these small extra's if requested. I can only apologise the sound and light seeped through under your door, I shall ask maintenance to investigate into this problem further. We very much hope that you shall stay with us again if in the area. Kind Regards, Sonya Young
Ilkeston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Fareham Solent for two nights whilst in the area on business. Let me emphasis the good points first; the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and they should be complimented on their professionalism. Breakfast was very good with attentive staff and an excellent selection of nicely grilled food as well cereal and continental choices. The public areas, bar, restaurant, reception etc are nice and quite modern.
Now for the not so good - First and foremost no free wifi!!! Is this really acceptable in 2014 when I would imagine that most midweek guests are business users who rely on wifi? £12.95 for 24 hours connection is frankly ridiculous.
There is no lift and although there is only one set of stairs it was a bit difficult with my bags. I was offered help so I suppose I can't complain if I didn't take that offer up. Once I got to the room I found it to be very tired and there is no safe. Whilst the bed itself was comfortable, the pillows were not. Although they were labelled "soft" and "firm", I could honestly not tell the difference between the two. Worst of all though was that the quilt was the thinnest of summer quilts you could possibly imagine, seemingly not much thicker than a sheet... Hello....it is January! Although, it could be argued that the heating in the room is fully controllable, I would counter that many people don't want the heating blasting out as it gets too stuffy in the night. They do however like to snuggle under a nice thick quilt. There wasn't even an optional blanket in the "wardrobe".
Lastly the room service food wasn't brilliant. I only ate in one night and I have to say I am quite glad about that. I ordered the vegetable lasagne, which came with garlic ciabatta and salad, however the lasagne looked more like a slop on the plate, the salad was smothered in the most acrid tasting dressing it was virtually inedible (I appreciate that this is a matter of personal taste though) but worst of all the meal was almost cold. Certainly not worth £10.95 plus the £3 room service charge.
In summary, I found the room rather soulless and sad. I know that as a female, travelling on my own I probably have different expectations to a lone male business traveller. This may be a sexist comment but it's a fact that most women like a bit of comfort and homeliness!!
The one thing that truly saves this hotel is without a doubt the staff, especially those on reception and I wouldn't want what appears to be quite a negative review to reflect on them... it doesn't!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is a pleasure to read such kind comments regarding the excellent team here, I shall be sure to feed this back to them. We know breakfast is the most important meal of the day so am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience throughout your stay.

I apologise that you found the cost of our WiFi unreasonable, IHG have confirmed that complimentary WIFI will be available for all IHG Rewards members later this year. We do have alternative pillows and extra blankets available in the hotel upon request, I shall ask housekeeping to look into the standard of our current bedroom pillows and duvets. With regards to your dining experience I shall be sure to share your feedback to our head chef and can only apologise for the standard of food which you received.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope that you will chose to visit us again one day. Kind Reagrds, Sonya Young
Copthorne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

£117 for family of 4 dinner bed and breakfast. Large room, lovely pool - nice and warm and just enough room for play! Welcome drinks, wonderful dinner, activity packs for children, best hotel breakfast I have ever had, and curly wurlys on leaving - cannot fault this hotel for the price and the staff were fantastic!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a lovely review. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests had such a good stay in could not fault the hotel or service in anyway. I am glad that you had the opportunity to make use of the pool with your family and enjoyed the small extra's such as activity packs and chocolate on checkout. We hope that you and your family will visit us again soon. Kind Regards, Sonya Young

Been to Holiday Inn Fareham Solent? Share your experiences!