“Too many children!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Fareham
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
“Too many children!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Fast and friendly check-in service on the Friday night - a very nice touch was the glass of complementary wine served there! The room was clean and comfortable but the walls were a bit thin as I was woken up on both nights I stayed there by crying kids. I know it's not the Hotels fault but sleep was also interrupted by inconsiderate guests slamming doors rather than shutting them. Ate at the bar, a club sandwich, which at first seemed expensive until you see the size of it, and had a drink which was at typical hotel prices. Breakfast was a buffet selection of cereals/fruit- juices and the typical English fry-up as well as a continental choice. My second night I was again woken by children, but not by the alarm call I had requested. This time the 'honour' was down to the newspapers being thrown on the floor outside the doors. To be fair, the Hotel 'comped' me on my 'extras' as a goodwill gesture when I checked out and mentioned these issues.
Would I stay again? The Hotel chain actively encourages families and children so I think I would request a child free area to avoid being disturbed, if possible. I did seem to be amongst a lot of family groups where I was on this occasion.
The location is fine if you intend staying in the Hotel - it's got excellent pool/gym facilities as well as beauty treatments for the ladies - but there is nothing within walking distance apart from a Shell garage over the road.

Room Tip: Away from kids! Rooms at the back of the hotel will be quiter road noise wise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary glass of wine on check in and also that you found the bedroom clean and comfortable. I am very sorry to see that you were woken whilst trying to sleep. Whilst the hotel likes to be family friendlily we also understand that our other guests enjoy peace and quiet. We do hope that you would stay here again. Kind regards, Sonya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

my daughter booked me into here for my birthday with my fiancee , the staff were great, the reception area fantastic, the resturant was to expensive to eat in so we had a share platter and went over to the garage across the road to purchase sandwiches and wine to take back to our room, the room was quite shabby and in need of a paint job and a deep clean.

the swimming pool is also tired and warn out looking, in the picture it looks amazing but is nothing at all like it i was quite suprised.

my daughter payed less than £40 for this room and i think if she had payed more i would have complained. we didnt have breakfast as this was £12 each thats a rediculous price

Room Tip: only stayed here once and wouldnt stay again our room was right around the back so although quiet wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. It is always nice to hear that you found our team great. I am disappointed to hear that you found the hotel in need of some updating and I have taken your comments on board. I do hope that we see you in the hotel again. Kind regards Sonya.
Darwen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Well located and convenient but not the cheapest in the HI family. Rooms were well appointed and very comfortable and room service prompt. Didn't get chance to sample the leisure facilities but they seemed popular with members.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I would like to thank you for writing this review. I am very pleased that you had a comfortable stay and managed to experience great service whilst sampling our room service menu. We do hope to see you at the hotel again so that you can make use of our leisure facilities. Kind regards, Sonya
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

With many Hotels in the area , the choice was made to stay at this particular Holiday Inn
It had good leisure facilities which was an attraction
The staff were helpful and polite
The room was showing signs that its not a new hotel
But that aside , the week was very pleasant
Fantastic breakfast and a cheap varied bar menu made it an ideal venue

Room Tip: Colleagues stayed on the side of the main road which generated road noise , maybe rooms in the 120...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased to hear that enjoyed the health club. It is also always great to hear that you found our staff helpful and polite. We do hope that you choose our hotel again when next ii the area. Many Thanks, Sonya
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent, efficient and friendly staff on reception. Good location for hotel. Convenient to motorway. Plenty of space in the bedroom. Good wardrobe space. Usual toiletries, hairdryer and trouser press. Good lighting in the room and convenient light switches to the bed. Twin bedded room just for me. The single bed seemed very 'single'. Very narrow. Good heating, though temperature is set centrally in the hotel.
Was very surprised to see no biscuits included in the hospitality tray. For £139 I expected a better provision. Bathroom clean but slightly shabby. Sink plugs a bit stained. Nice towels.
Room really quiet which was perfect. TV a bit too clever for its own good but managed to 'tame' it.
Fareham hotels are always pretty well booked up. Not sure if there are sufficient hotels for the area. If I were staying in any other Holiday Inn I would expect a slightly higher standard of decoration for my money but all in all this hotel is comfortable and friendly, especially the reception staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay in the hotel. It is excellent to hear that you found our reception staff so friendly and I shall pass on your kind words to the team. I am glad to hear that you had a comfortable stay and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are in the Fareham area. Kind regards, Sonya
Barton on Sea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for one night in Jan 2013. The room I had was fine, including TV, kettle tea/coffee etc., a single and double bed, bath with shower over and generally in good condition. Wifi is not free. Unfortunately new low energy light bulbs seem to make it a bit boring.
The corridors leading to the rooms definitely need some paint and new carpets, they also have stale smoke smell.
The bar & restaurant area is almost totally open plan, feeling a bit like an airport lounge, and pretty soul-less. The food in the restaurant was alright although the service could have been better, rather slow and items forgotten (i.e. vegetables). Breakfast doesn't start till 06.30 which was too late for me, 6am would have been better. The bar doesn't sell real ale.
There is a health club with quite a large pool, probably 25m long and 1.2m deep I believe, I didn't have chance to sample it so no idea how warm etc.

Room Tip: It's quite a big hotel and although my room was good it was upstairs and quite a way from the re...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I would like to thank you for posting a review. I am disappointed to hear that you found the public areas unwelcoming and I shall pass on your comments regrading the corridors to our Maintenance team. I shall also feedback you comments regarding forgotten items in the restuarant to our food and beverage team. We do hope top see you again in the future. Thank You, Sonya
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for two nights whilst on a course nearby. Room was comfortable and tidy. Good selection of pillows. Nice to have bottles of water and a chocolate bar in room on arrival. Slightly disappointed that they were not re-stocked for second night. Restaurant service was good from friendly staff. Food quality was very high at both breakfast and evening. Added bonus for me was one of my favourite beers, Boddingtons, which went down very well on both nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly. It's also great to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary water and chocolate provided in your room. We hope to see you again soon with a boddingtons in hand. Warm regards, Sonya.

Been to Holiday Inn Fareham Solent? Share your experiences!