“Superb lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Superb lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Lunch today at 36 on the quay was superb. The taste combinations and presentation was of the highest order. Attentive but not fussy service was friendly and very welcoming. We liked the unpretentious and relaxed atmosphere so much that our lunch flew by in two hours. Great value for money and highly recommended. Will definitely return.

• Visited April 2013

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“36 Stars for 36 On the Quay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Birthday Lunch for a birthday girl I’ve been married to for 36 years…so 36 On the Quay seemed a good choice for a surprise lunch. Only 36 miles from home too!

The booking was made for Tuesday lunch at short notice, on the previous Sunday when owner Karen is supposed to having a day off. But only a couple of hours later an e-mail returned confirming space was available and so by e-mail exchange the table was booked: a good start.

Come the day we arrived early, unsure of parking. There was plenty of space near the restaurant so at 12.40 we arrived for a 13.00 booking, our daughter was also due to arrive and true to form she showed up at five before one! But the early arrival didn’t faze the staff, we were shown to our table, offered drinks and sat enjoying the ambience of the room, whilst looking at the menus.

As it was lunch and two of us were driving my wife and I shared a half bottle of excellent New Zealand pinot noir and my daughter had a glass of the house champagne. Good to see half bottles on the wine list and at a very realist price, compared with the same wine in a full bottle. Oh yes, it was in a screw capped bottle: for those that think this signifies low end wines it should be noted that virtually all New Zealand wine is now supplied with such a closure! Why? Because for 95% of wine they are better, can’t taint the wine or leak. I never bother to taste wine poured from a screw capped bottle, I know it will be as the winemaker intended.

Daughter arrived, followed by little snacks from the kitchen to help us with our choices, which were swiftly made, selecting from both the lunch and main menus. For starters two of us went for scallops, described as sliced and pan seared on creamed fresh crab with sugar snap peas and chestnut mushrooms finished with a shellfish gratin: truly wonderful and one of the best scallop dishes I’ve had. Our Daughter chose the duck egg, gently cooked with ground serrano ham and placed on braised dupuy lentils with sliced duck liver and crisp rye bread on the side, all finished with a truffle dressing: visually stunning and a delight to eat.

To the main course selection: two of us had venison loin baked in hay with wild nettles, mousseline potato (very posh mash!), roasted savoy cabbage heart and a caramelised onion sauce, garnished with a black tapioca crisp: unctuous with perfectly cooked venison that just smelt of fresh hay. My wife had monkfish tails, sliced bacon with ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) glaze, served on creamed cauliflower, wilted spinach with shallots, pine-nuts and sweet golden raisins. Another elegant looking dish that tasted wonderful, my wife said it was the best monk fish she has ever tasted: given that after lobster it is her favourite fish, praise indeed.

There was room for desserts, so we filled the space. I had hot rhubarb soufflé accompanied by smooth vanilla panna-cotta and rhubarb compote served in a separate glass. The hot soufflé was perfect, light full of taste and I left not a drop: the cold panna-cotta and rhubarb compote was a perfect finish to the dish. My daughter took 36's Lemon Presentation, made up of 5 miniature lemon based desserts, another visually stunning dish that she pronounced a delight, but would have been a bit too sharp for me. The birthday girl tried the Iced Peanut Parfait, which was a “Rolls-Royce” of a Snickers bar and divine, accompanied by warm mini butterscotch doughnuts with a smooth coffee foam. All in all an excellent dish.

Coffee and petit-fours for daughter and I and a glass of port for the birthday girl rounded off a memorable and leisurely lunch.

36 On the Quay is everything a Michelin Star restaurant should be: we will be back..it isn’t far.
You should give it a try.

• Visited April 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“36 on The Quay, Emsworth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our son and his wife, and our daughter and her husband took me and my husband to 36 on March 2nd, to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We all loved the ambience, and all chose different dishes. Every dish was a work of art and looked and tasted sublime. The staff were attentive and professional and the service could not be faulted. It was the best meal we have ever had and shall always remember it.
Jeanette Ryder

• Visited March 2013
London
“Back on top form”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Re-establishes itself as a top quality water-side restaurant, offering brilliant quality, well balanced Michelin Star quality food. Glitches with over reduced sauces and service delays have been full addressed, and this place is back where it belongs, as the premier eating place in Emsworth..

Visited February 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was among a party of seven celebrating two birthdays. I am a vegetarian and the food that was prepared for me was absolutely stunning. I so appreciated the effort that had gone into creating dishes especially for me - it was the most amazing birthday meal I have ever had. The service was lovely, warm and friendly. I couldn't recommend it enough for a very special meal. We all had a fantastic night.

• Visited February 2013