“Good value carvery” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 98 Restaurants in Eastleigh
Cuisines: British, English, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Bishopstoke. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Eastleigh’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Good value carvery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Whilst I haven't been very recently have always had good service and a very satifactory meal for the money. It is what it is a, chain carvery with a very pleasant garden over looking the river. Good value for money with very attentive, friendly staff.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great value and consistent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We eat here every Thursday and for £5.99 it is excellent value. You can go online and download a 2 for £10 voucher most of the time so it is even better value. The staff are really nice and the food is always a good standard for the money. The only small criticism I would make is that they sometimes run out of cranberry and/or apple sauce. Just a case of topping up more regularly and it would be sorted. We like it !

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
southampton
“river inn, bishopstoke”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Food was lovely, good selection, very good price. Staff friendly,, Eat as much as you like, and the desserts are gorgeous. Fabulous value. So good we are going there for Christmas Day

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
uk
“excellent nosh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

although called the river inn this restaurant is one of the Toby Carvery's.On this occassion we took our daughter 10yrs and her friend 9yrs ( who hadn't been before) for a saturday afternoon roast. On arrival we were greeted and shown to a table and given a personal waiter/waitress who will look after you throughout your stay. Drinks orders are taken and if you choose soft drinks then you are advised that you can help yourselves to free refills if desired. There is usually gammon,beef,turkey and pork available as meat choices with a yorkshire pudding and then loads of veggies and roasted and/or mash potatoes, stuffing and then sauces and gravy's (if you have any space left on the plate once you get to this stage) ! The quality of the food is delicious and hot and sometimes if your lucky you might just get a new dish of roasties brought out or a new meat joint which is heaven. If you manage to eat all of the contents on your plate there are some fabulous puddings to choose from whether it be light like ice cream or nice and stoggy such as pie and custard. What ever you choose we have dined here a few times now and have always been impressed by the food quality and the general friendliness of this restaurant, just a word of advice if you do go on a sunday be at the door for opening as it can get very busy.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“Gone Downhill, very downhill.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My family have been visiting the River Inn for years now and whilst it was never perfect, it was always good value. The meat was always well cooked and succulent and plenty of it. Veg was usually a little hit and miss, sometimes being a little overcooked and occasionally they ran out of roast potatoes which led to a wait whilst more came out of the oven. For a fiver, the occasional glitch in service could be overlooked. I'll say now that the staff were and still are a credit. Friendly and helpful and would usually do anything they could to make your visit enjoyable. Anyway, that was then. Now for the bad stuff...

My daughter and I visited last week for lunch. The pub wasn't busy, in fact it was the quietest I have seen it in months. On getting in line for the carvery I eyed up the meat and decided to go for the gammon. For the first time ever I failed to recognize one of the offered meats (pork I think) and the beef was so overdone its wasn't even worth considering (always my back up if the other meats looked dried out). The turkey looked liked sawdust when cut, so gammon it was. The veg was ALL overdone and soggy, the Yorkshire Puddings so overcooked that they crumbled to dust the second any cutlery came near them. I have never seen it so bad, yet the worst was yet to come: roast potatoes... These were actually BLACK. Overcooked and soggy, fat soaked spuds. If I wanted those I would have taken my daughter to my mother in laws for lunch!

I did complain of course, and chatted to the two ladies on the next table who had the same opinions as myself on the food quality. Our waitress was very apologetic, and also agreed that the food didn't meet standards and didn't charge me for my meal (just as well really, because for the first time in 8 or 9 years I didn't eat it). I'm still awaiting a reply to my comments I sent to Toby via their customer service email about this.

We dropped by yesterday too hoping the above was a one off. Sadly on spying the black spuds again (which looked like prunes) we decided to go elsewhere which is such a great shame. I know there has been a recent management change, one hopes that the current manager can get a grip of his kitchen staff, because as it stands this establishment has gone from the very best in the area to the very worst.

• Visited August 2012