“Delicious lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 46 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Family run 17th Century Country Pub and Carvery specialising in freshly prepared food sourced locally where possible. Breakfast served from 7.30 And food served all day until 9pm Mon - Sat 8pm Sundays. Bookings advisable. Friendly staff and a great venue for family celebrations or just meeting up with friends. Pets welcome in our bar area.
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
“Delicious lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Good choice of menu, food was very tasty. We weren't rushed to order and our meals came together. Friendly service. Would suggest booking as the carvery appears very popular.

“Amazing food Amazing service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

So my sister takes me to a pub called hen and chicken. At first I thought ok let's be open minded. And glad I did.
As we entered I could smell the most beautiful aroma of foods (carvery) and the decorative layout was traditional. The noise was minimal and team were welcoming.
The food: so I can eat loads of food and it's kinda hard to beat me. But I must say portions were more than enough, I had the prawn starter which was lovely.
The main course was of course the carvery. Enough said! It was amazing.
Had gammon, beef and Turkey! I gobbled it all up. (No pun intended)
Dessert was amaretto creme bruele. Can't spell the b word.
So by dessert and every mouthful was to die for. So tasty so sweet.
I'd say that was a great way to end the meal.
Also I think that was value for money, considering how much I ate.
Want to thank a member of team Rebecca Horne for suggesting a good eatery. I will be recommending this to friends and family.
Please pass on my thanks to Rebecca.
Thanks for reading I hope others will visit. I know I will be!
Glyn. X

Cambridge
“Excellent Carvery and amazing puddings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We visited this pub during a family weekend away and picked the Hen & Chicken due to the good reviews and I am pleased to say it did not disappoint. We turned up for lunch on a Friday (not having booked) and the pub was extremely busy. Luckily a table soon became available. The carvery food was lovely and fresh. The choice of puddings was amazing and very tasty. The pub is child friendly but the garden area is more suited to older children as there is no toddler equipment. The carvery was very reasonably priced and we would love to visit again if we are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester, United Kingdom
“First class carvery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Treated by my son and family to a birthday carvery meal which was first class. Could not be bettered. Only problem was that talking was difficult because of the high noise level, but we managed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Simply scrummy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have tried and failed to get into this fab pub/restaurant before due to it's popularity. Today, however I struck lucky for lunch. My family and I had a fabulous roast dinner at a great value price. £4.95 - kids £5.95 - adults. What made it for me was the quality and choice of the food, and the lovely friendly staff. HUGE thanks. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere