“An excellent day out” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 13 Attractions in Alton
Type: Historic Sites, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of England's first ecologist.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“An excellent day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Last visited this place over five years ago. The friends I was staying with said it had been done up over the past few years so we thought it would be worth another visit - and it definitely was! The gardens were lovely and relaxing to wander in. The Oates Collections have been entirely renovated since I last visited and was fascinating. Very moving footage and very well presented. After spending a long while in the museum we headed to the tea room to relax where we were served by efficient and friendly staff. I would highly recommend a cream tea here, just delicious. I didn't buy anything in the shop but the girl working there was very helpful throughout our visit. Overall an excellent day out!

Romsey, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Relaxing place but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit , a lovely relaxing place but unless we had got the voucher from Amazon local I don`t think we would have planned to go there. Full price for what there was to see was too much, the garden needed a good weed and dead heading looked a bit of a mess. Loved the Morning Glory, other than that, wish I could say something more positive. The museum itself was OK particularly liked the Oates exhibition, really did learn something from that.

Reading, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Fascinating visit if you like nature, gardening and explorers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

A lovely house giving a taste of the ecologist Gilbert White. Also another section on the polar explorer Captain Oates. A great combination plus beautiful grounds and a beautiful village. House restaurant was excellent and a gift shop with something different.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“I'm Just Going Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Since seeing the Classic Ealing film 'Scott of the Antarctic' earlier this year I promised myself a return trip to the Gilbert White museum in Selborne which is also the home of the Oates collection.

I searched for the museum on the web. Both the museum's website and Trip Advisor reviews were useful in planning my visit.

I love my museums, and I'm pleased to say that this museum is much loved. The updated Lawrence Oates galleries were very informative and faithfully evoked that brave scientific journey embarked upon by Captain Scott and his team of explorers.

My companion and I enjoyed a welcome lunch in the 18th century styled Tea Room.
And after a stroll around the gardens and parklands we were able to simply relax, take in the view of the famous Selborne Hanger whilst having tea and cake on the lawn.

And the bonus was that when we gift aided our admission we got got free entry to the museum for a whole year!

Leyburn, North Yorkshire
20 attraction reviews
“Not a lot to see”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

As usual I visited this attraction with a coach party. Compared with other houses and gardens I have visited there was not a lot to see. No photos allowed inside the house and very little to photograph outside.
On the positive side there is a very interesting museum and audio video show concerning Captain Oates and his family. There is also a small but highly recommended tearoom serving home baked produced. I recommend the cheese and watercress scones.

Visited July 2014