“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Alton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum is housed in a charming red-brick 17th-century building that was home to Jane Austen and her family from 1809 to 1817, and the site where she wrote some of her popular novels.
Farnham
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

A lovely place to visit, beautiful house, garden and friendly village. Very interesting.

Visited March 2012

portsmouth
23 attraction reviews
“An Interesting Insight into Jane Austen and her work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I visited this museum with my writers group and we all agreed it was a delightful museum well supported by helpful and informative guides. We all learned a lot about Jane Austen and it was wonderful to see her effects and learn more about her life and close family. There are a number of books available that you are free to read if you wish to do some in depth study.

Visited March 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Unmissable for Austen Fans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

It's not often in life that something lives up to your wildest expectations but a visit to Jane Austen's home at Chawton definitely did.

My friend and I went on a very rainy Monday and were lucky to find the museum quiet allowing us plenty of time to see everything there and loiter to our hearts content.

I felt as though I'd had an almost religious experience in being able to wander those rooms at my leisure in relative quiet and appreciate what life may have been like in those days.

The museum staff are helpfull and enthusiastic, the shop is dangerous (come prepared to part with more cash than anticipated) and all in all I think this is the best small mueum I have ever been too. I was worried it would be 'disneyfied' but not a bit of it.

If you get the chance to visit I would highly recommend it.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Beautiful cottage where Austen wrote much of her work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We arrived first thing - on purpose - as we've been before and as it's a small house it is easily crowded.

We had the place to ourselves for a few minutes and with only a very few others for most of our visit inside the house. The weather was kind and held off the promised rain, delivering instead lovely spring sunshine.

The cottage itself is nicely presented, and there's a lot of information about Austen, her family and time. The exhibits are sometimes a little scant (this is the bed that perhaps looks like the one Jane Austen slept in - but that's being picky!) but it was a pleasant way of spending time on a Saturday morning for me, and for my wife, a Life Member of the Jane Austen Society, it was a delight to behold things like the tiny desk at which so much of her work was written.

If I have a criticism about the house it is that it focuses on Jane rather than her work; it is conceivable that someone not familiar with Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion could come away no wiser about what she wrote about. It's rather taken for granted, that people will know - perhaps a mistake and lost opportunity?

There was a short film about Jane Austen which was frankly a bit mediocre and which rather horrified my wife who thought it was dreadful, which again rather reflects the budget available - for which I attach no blame - but also to an extent some paucity of vision about what the site is aiming to achieve.

It's also devoid of refreshments; whether this is because they get a cut from the cafe opposite, which was very nice and clearly does a roaring trade and is presumably utterly dependent on the house for their trade, or what I don't know. However the cafe only offers meals at peak time so if you just want a coffee or cup of tea you're out of luck. You'd have thought the organisers or managers would have thought of providing that simple level of refreshment. It's far from Rocket Science and would give them some funds they obviously need. I've seen sites with only a portakabin offer teas, coffees and cakes, etc - surely a simple way of raising funds? The room next to the shop would be an ideal space perhaps a better use of space - or maybe that would set local politics ablaze (I know how sensitive that kind of thing can be!) Anyway, just sayin'...

That apart, it was well worth a visit, whatever your literary leanings. If you're an Austen fan, it's a must!

Lincolnshire
28 attraction reviews
“for enthusiasts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

whilst visitng this area we called at the J.A. Museum and it was interesting if you are a fan. Lovely old house and small village with a little cafe opposite and on the edge of the car park, which does have lovely homemade cakes and hot drinks. The house/museum charges £6 for entrance and you could spend about 1hr+ looking round. Nice to see some of her writings and personal pieces and paintings of her. There is an introduction by way of a short film on her life which is a good insight at the beginning of the tour and well worth sitting through. You could do this tour in about an hour. There is toilets in the museum yard and a small gift shop selling lots of her books and collectable pieces is you are a fan of her works. Probably more for the ladies then men.