“Good Lake, Good Trails, that's all that's left. Cabins too.” 4 of 5 stars

Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   10660 Burr Oak Lodge Road, Glouster, OH 45732   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Glouster
Ohio
“Good Lake, Good Trails, that's all that's left. Cabins too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The Lodge and Conference Center is closed. The cabins are running but I have not stayed there....yet. I will and let you know how that goes. Many rumors surround the question of why it closed. But whatever. The hiking trails have been cleaned up and marked. There are a lot of miles to be hiked there. Its not over hiked so you must pay attention to keep on the trail. Its important to have a map and compass in case you lose your way. If you have decent amount of hiking under your belt you will enjoy the continuous up and downs of the lake ridge trail. If you are feeling ambitious try the whole 22 mile loop for an all day workout. There was lots of people dropping their boats and quietly fishing. So its quiet but your never alone. Its beautiful and historical if you tend to see things that way. If you want perfectly marked trails that are so well beaten you will never lose your way then this place is most likely not for you. There are nice picnic areas and people seemed to be enjoying themselves with reading and fishing lake shore. We did see the park ranger two times so I would say they are keeping a good eye on whats going on. So bring your boat, your hiking boots and poles, your fishing stuff, your picnic lunch and a smile and you will enjoy. If you don't have those things better head on down the road. Rumor is that soon the lodge may re-open with all kinds of new activities in store. We will see............

Room Tip: No rooms, only cabins at this time.
Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I and my teenage son and my best friend and her teenage son spent 1 night in a deluxe 2 bedroom cabin. The cabin was clean and very roomy. There was plenty was towels. The a/c worked great. We spent some time at the lodge in the pool area and it was nice and clean. The restroom/changing area by the pool is really in need of some updating. The paint was peeling off the walls and only on stall had a working lock. We made a fire in our firepit and enjoyed some time with our friends who came by to visit. We would rent a cabin again. The boys were disappointed that they couldn't fish anywhere near the cabin. My only thing I disliked was the 10 a.m. checkout time. I feel this is too early!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is an older lodge and it shows. The bathrooms have an overhead heater which I loved! The decor is dated and the beds were not very comfortable but we loved the lobby which has a nice ping pong table and a game area in the loft. My family really enjoyed playing the games there. The lodge provided board and card games as well as jigsaw puzzles (pieces were scattered so the puzzles might be intact) and legos for everyone. I would pass on the restaurant. We rented a boat from the marina and enjoyed a lovely boat ride on the lake.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We recently stayed for two nights at the lodge. We had a room with a lake view and the first room we checked into was very clean. The air conditioner was not cooling well, so we asked for another room. The staff was very accommodating and let us check two additional rooms for cooling comfort and we changed rooms. While the A/C unit did cool better, it never worked to peak efficiency. Our room was small (1 double bed, one twin bed) but clean. The pool area was very nice and we enjoyed it! The lodge has a restaurant and we had both breakfast and dinner. The meals and service was very good and their prices were reasonable. As I mentioned, the guest rooms were clean. Some of the other areas could have been better. For two days in the hall way near our room a small pile of leaves and sticks were not cleaned up. The walkways around the lodge also could have been swept off. In the main area of the lodge, the ceiling light fixtures needed to have spider webs cleaned from them. I don't want to sound like a neat freak and portray the lodge in a totally negative light. Overall, we had a very nice stay here and plan to return in the fall.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Regretfully, we had a bad experience recently at Burr Oak State Park. Even though the Lodge itself was clean and tidy, the grounds were not up to our expectactions for a State Park. The hiking trails were not well-maintained (Large trees down, foot-paths deteriorating, poison ivy everywhere, and the tennis courts were covered with leaves and debris). Also, the lodge lost power after a brief rainstorm and we had no electricity....no lights, air conditioning, etc.) The staff was not helpful and did not seem to have a plan to restore power or notify guests of the details. We left within three hours of arrival and will not return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My daughter who is a current Ohio University student and I stayed overnight for mom's weekend. While this state park lodge (and cabins) are off the beaten path and accessed by picturesque country roads, it is worth the drive from campus. Very well run lodge, restaurant, bar, gift shop, front desk, etc. Clean, efficient, staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Saturday ight we checked in they offered live entertainment (two acoustic guitar players, excellent players, some original, some covers). A smattering of older couples, young families with little children were watching (and dancing to) the music and enjoying the main lodge room area (also second floor gameroom/balcony area). We observed the indoor pool area around 10 pm and it was quite an active place with a dozen or so middle school aged children. Also, pool and pool deck was very clean and well stocked with clean towels (although we skipped the pool, with so many children present). Earlier in the evening we opted for pizza delivery and were quite satisfied with our Little Italy pizza (although if you order pizza delivery, remember to ask for napkins and paper plates, we forgot to and I had hoped they'd include them since they knew we were in the lodge but they didn't. The bar hostess was kind enough to give me extra napkins). We booked our room which included breakfast for two in the morning and were very pleased with our meals. Delicious food, served promptly by a very friendly waitress. The view from the dining room is stunning. Finally, since I arise earlier than my college aged daughter (shocking I know), I ordered to-go coffee from the restaurant but they gave it to me for free. I of course generously tipped the hostess. I thought that was a very nice touch and quite unexpected.

We would definitely stay here again. Very nice lodge, rooms are extremely clean and bathroom was stocked with plenty of clean towels and also spotless. So spotless I enjoyed a late night soak in the tub (I don't always want to take a bath unless the hotel bathroom is very clean and this one was).

Thanks Burr Oak for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor room facing the lake.
  • Stayed April 2011
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for sharing your review of your mother-daughter stay at Burr Oak Lodge. It sounds like you had a lovely time and were treated well by our staff. Very nice that you recognized their efforts in your review - we so appreciate that!

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager/Ohio State Park Lodges
Cincinnati, Oh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We were looking for a moderately priced place to stay with some entertainment features and driving distance from Athens and Logan. Location worked out reasonablely well once you got used to and accepted the long winding roads. Burr Oak is 20-30 mins north from Nelsonville depending on how comfortable you are driving on back county roads. It winds thru several small towns that have nothing to offer except a gas station and a dollar store. (McConnelsville is about the same distance past Burr Oak but the roads are even more curvey.) Burr Oak lodge looks very much the other state lodges we have stayed in (Shawnee & Hueston Woods). The staff was very helpful and friendly; when we checked in the first room( on the bottem floor) we were given was terribly musty (reaked of mold) and I immediately asked for another room. I asked for something on the top floor which is the same level as the lobby. It was much better but still a little musty. I was told the 1st floor rooms have a patio and view of the lake. ( I'll still pass on the mold. ) Our room had a double bed and a single for 3 of us. It was on the small side but there are 2 sinks, and nice big TV with satelite(including 4 HBO stations). No free internet service but when we paid for one they did give us 2 access codes so my husband and daughter could both use their computers. We had NO CELL SERVICE there but were told Verizon subscribers can usually get access. Of course coffee machine, iron and blow dryer in the room. Decor is very dated, but the room was resonably clean except for some dust. We did have some bugs(lady bugs, lightening bugs, knats) but that is to be expected in the woods. ( No icky bugs.) Very good water pressure in the shower and plenty of towels. Bedding was clean and the old fashioned polyester stuff. Beds were firm but not intolerable. There is a nice playground, tennis courts, walking trails, beach/fishing area, in-door pool, ping pong table, dining room, broad games all on the premises/grounds. We used everything but the dining room and all were in good condition and well kept. We stayed 3 nights and were busy during the days so ate out plus we had brought some food with us to make sandwiches and snacks. We were there duing the week and there weren't many guests, I figure they pick up on the weekends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!