“Nice cabins. We will go back again.” 4 of 5 stars

Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   10660 Burr Oak Lodge Road, Glouster, OH 45732   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Glouster
Zanesville, Ohio
“Nice cabins. We will go back again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I and my teenage son and my best friend and her teenage son spent 1 night in a deluxe 2 bedroom cabin. The cabin was clean and very roomy. There was plenty was towels. The a/c worked great. We spent some time at the lodge in the pool area and it was nice and clean. The restroom/changing area by the pool is really in need of some updating. The paint was peeling off the walls and only on stall had a working lock. We made a fire in our firepit and enjoyed some time with our friends who came by to visit. We would rent a cabin again. The boys were disappointed that they couldn't fish anywhere near the cabin. My only thing I disliked was the 10 a.m. checkout time. I feel this is too early!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is an older lodge and it shows. The bathrooms have an overhead heater which I loved! The decor is dated and the beds were not very comfortable but we loved the lobby which has a nice ping pong table and a game area in the loft. My family really enjoyed playing the games there. The lodge provided board and card games as well as jigsaw puzzles (pieces were scattered so the puzzles might be intact) and legos for everyone. I would pass on the restaurant. We rented a boat from the marina and enjoyed a lovely boat ride on the lake.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We recently stayed for two nights at the lodge. We had a room with a lake view and the first room we checked into was very clean. The air conditioner was not cooling well, so we asked for another room. The staff was very accommodating and let us check two additional rooms for cooling comfort and we changed rooms. While the A/C unit did cool better, it never worked to peak efficiency. Our room was small (1 double bed, one twin bed) but clean. The pool area was very nice and we enjoyed it! The lodge has a restaurant and we had both breakfast and dinner. The meals and service was very good and their prices were reasonable. As I mentioned, the guest rooms were clean. Some of the other areas could have been better. For two days in the hall way near our room a small pile of leaves and sticks were not cleaned up. The walkways around the lodge also could have been swept off. In the main area of the lodge, the ceiling light fixtures needed to have spider webs cleaned from them. I don't want to sound like a neat freak and portray the lodge in a totally negative light. Overall, we had a very nice stay here and plan to return in the fall.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Regretfully, we had a bad experience recently at Burr Oak State Park. Even though the Lodge itself was clean and tidy, the grounds were not up to our expectactions for a State Park. The hiking trails were not well-maintained (Large trees down, foot-paths deteriorating, poison ivy everywhere, and the tennis courts were covered with leaves and debris). Also, the lodge lost power after a brief rainstorm and we had no electricity....no lights, air conditioning, etc.) The staff was not helpful and did not seem to have a plan to restore power or notify guests of the details. We left within three hours of arrival and will not return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My daughter who is a current Ohio University student and I stayed overnight for mom's weekend. While this state park lodge (and cabins) are off the beaten path and accessed by picturesque country roads, it is worth the drive from campus. Very well run lodge, restaurant, bar, gift shop, front desk, etc. Clean, efficient, staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Saturday ight we checked in they offered live entertainment (two acoustic guitar players, excellent players, some original, some covers). A smattering of older couples, young families with little children were watching (and dancing to) the music and enjoying the main lodge room area (also second floor gameroom/balcony area). We observed the indoor pool area around 10 pm and it was quite an active place with a dozen or so middle school aged children. Also, pool and pool deck was very clean and well stocked with clean towels (although we skipped the pool, with so many children present). Earlier in the evening we opted for pizza delivery and were quite satisfied with our Little Italy pizza (although if you order pizza delivery, remember to ask for napkins and paper plates, we forgot to and I had hoped they'd include them since they knew we were in the lodge but they didn't. The bar hostess was kind enough to give me extra napkins). We booked our room which included breakfast for two in the morning and were very pleased with our meals. Delicious food, served promptly by a very friendly waitress. The view from the dining room is stunning. Finally, since I arise earlier than my college aged daughter (shocking I know), I ordered to-go coffee from the restaurant but they gave it to me for free. I of course generously tipped the hostess. I thought that was a very nice touch and quite unexpected.

We would definitely stay here again. Very nice lodge, rooms are extremely clean and bathroom was stocked with plenty of clean towels and also spotless. So spotless I enjoyed a late night soak in the tub (I don't always want to take a bath unless the hotel bathroom is very clean and this one was).

Thanks Burr Oak for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor room facing the lake.
  • Stayed April 2011
Xanterra, Guest Relations Manager at Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you for sharing your review of your mother-daughter stay at Burr Oak Lodge. It sounds like you had a lovely time and were treated well by our staff. Very nice that you recognized their efforts in your review - we so appreciate that!

-Dianne R.
Guest Relations Manager/Ohio State Park Lodges
Cincinnati, Oh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We were looking for a moderately priced place to stay with some entertainment features and driving distance from Athens and Logan. Location worked out reasonablely well once you got used to and accepted the long winding roads. Burr Oak is 20-30 mins north from Nelsonville depending on how comfortable you are driving on back county roads. It winds thru several small towns that have nothing to offer except a gas station and a dollar store. (McConnelsville is about the same distance past Burr Oak but the roads are even more curvey.) Burr Oak lodge looks very much the other state lodges we have stayed in (Shawnee & Hueston Woods). The staff was very helpful and friendly; when we checked in the first room( on the bottem floor) we were given was terribly musty (reaked of mold) and I immediately asked for another room. I asked for something on the top floor which is the same level as the lobby. It was much better but still a little musty. I was told the 1st floor rooms have a patio and view of the lake. ( I'll still pass on the mold. ) Our room had a double bed and a single for 3 of us. It was on the small side but there are 2 sinks, and nice big TV with satelite(including 4 HBO stations). No free internet service but when we paid for one they did give us 2 access codes so my husband and daughter could both use their computers. We had NO CELL SERVICE there but were told Verizon subscribers can usually get access. Of course coffee machine, iron and blow dryer in the room. Decor is very dated, but the room was resonably clean except for some dust. We did have some bugs(lady bugs, lightening bugs, knats) but that is to be expected in the woods. ( No icky bugs.) Very good water pressure in the shower and plenty of towels. Bedding was clean and the old fashioned polyester stuff. Beds were firm but not intolerable. There is a nice playground, tennis courts, walking trails, beach/fishing area, in-door pool, ping pong table, dining room, broad games all on the premises/grounds. We used everything but the dining room and all were in good condition and well kept. We stayed 3 nights and were busy during the days so ate out plus we had brought some food with us to make sandwiches and snacks. We were there duing the week and there weren't many guests, I figure they pick up on the weekends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
dayton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2007

We stayed in one of the cottages on the property for five nights, just my wife and I. The cost was a bargain at $65.00 per night. It was very relaxing. The cottages have a small kitchen, living room, two bedrooms, large screened in porch that is almost right in the trees and a decent sized bathroom. They have TV's with cable and a DVD player (we hardly turned the TV on at all). The cottages also have good AC. They're equipped with all the kitchen utensils - pots, pans, plates, microwave, etc. but we took our own paper plates and plastic ware to avoid doing dishes. I really wish we had taken our no-stick electric griddle because the pans they provide are definitely "old school". They also have a "park style" charcoal grill outside.

The cottages are clean and comfortable but are not luxurious by any means. They are in the woods and very quiet. The cottages are located in three cul-de-sacs. Our first night we stayed in the cluster that contained cottages 13 thru 22. DO NOT stay in this cluster! Unfortunately, there is a pump station for the water treatment plant located somewhere behind this cluster - the pump runs constantly and while it's not really loud, it is a distraction in the middle of a very peaceful environment. We went to the lodge the next day and were moved to the cluster that contains cottages 1 thru 12, MUCH better.

There is a lake in the park and it's very pretty and secluded. There were very few people in the entire park that we ran across during our stay. The fishing is just OK but if we wanted great fishing we would have went to Lake Erie. What we wanted was peace and quiet and it is in abundance at Burr Oak.

The nearest town is Glouster, about 15 minutes away. It's really pretty close but the roads are a little winding so it makes the drive a little slower. They have a gas station, Subway and not much else. There is a good bait and tackle shop on Republic Street called LT Bait and Tackle. You can get your fishing license and any gear you need there. There is a Krogers grocery in the town of Trimble. Trimble is right next to Glouster, not two minutes away.

If you plan on having a campfire (they have fire rings at the cottages), you better find some cheap fire wood before you get in the park. Wood is for sale at the lodge - 6 pieces for 5 bucks! BTW, the lodge has a restaurant and a small bar, we didn't utilize either one so I can't comment on their quality. The lodge also has a very nice pool that cottage renters are free to use.There are two smallish marinas on the lake to rent boats. A small motorboat was $17.00 for the first hour and $12.00 for each hour after that.

All and all, we were very pleased with our stay. It's a beautiful park in the middle of a beautiful area of Ohio. I f you want to be spoon fed activities and need a thrill a minute, don't go here. If you're looking for peace and quiet and to get disconnected from the grid for a while then this is the place to go.

• Liked — peaceful
  • Disliked — driving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!