“known it all my life.” 5 of 5 stars

Salford, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“known it all my life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Only just come across this forum and it is great to see how many people enjoyed their visit. I Lived for 10 years virtually in the grounds of ordsall hall from 1963 to 1973. Our house was exactly where the entrance is on ordsall lane. I was 6 when we first moved there. It was virtually derelict but it was brilliant for me, my brother and mates to play in the grounds. Always scared of the ghost of the white lady or the caretaker that lived at the front. (ha ha never caught us). Used to watch over our garden wall the student archaeologists (i think) digging a massive trench where the old moat used to be and finding a goblet and other artifacts. I would love to know what happened to these finds. Also there are tunnels (believe me) that run from under the hall to various places.
Hulme church, the Kersal cells, the old docks, (salford quays) etc. A lot of historians say they have never existed but believe me they do. My brother and other people I know have been in them. If they opened these up it would be a fascinating plus to a great building. Also as my parents used to tell me of the secret panels, bolt holes and passages that used to be in ordsall hall. Are they still there. All adds to a fascinating history to a great building in Salford. You would be supprised how many people of Salford or surrounding areas have never been in or know where ordsall hall is. God me, my brother sister and mates could write a book on the experiences we have had as kids in This great place. If you visit Salford, do not forget to visit ordsall hall. You will not be disappointed.

Visited October 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
“Lovely building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Strange to find this quite by chance and what a lovely building it is and very interesting inside - a hidden gem we were very pleased to come across

Visited June 2013
68 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem in Salford.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well worth visiting - right little hidden gem tucked away between a housing estate but don't let that put you off. Great location - 10 minute walk from Salford Quays. Lots of history behind this place. Staff are great - pleasant - friendly and helpful. The garden is wonderful. Try one of the workshops they hold or go on one of the ghost tours which are fab. This is a place you need to visit.

Visited August 2013
Salford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Gunpowder Plot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Hall is one of the hidden gems of Salford,it has been restored to its former glory and is well worth a visit,a little known fact outside of Salford is that this was the place where Guy Fawkes hatched the infamous gunpowder plot, staff dress in period clothing and on certain days perfom music etc of the era

Visited June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“An enigma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Ordsall Hall is minutes away from Salford Quay and the Lowry Centre but in historical terms centuries away. It is also on a non-descript road surrounded by 1980's housing and shed type factories.

Yet the Hall can trace it ancestry back to 1200's, but it really became a prominent house in Tudor times. Henry V111 allowed Sir Alexander Radclyffe, the High Sherriff of Lancashire to continue to worship in the catholic faith. Lady Francis Radclyffe became a favourite of Elizabeth !.

There is a lot to see in the hall, the star chamber and great chamber and magnificent windows.

Entrance is free, there are organised tours costing £2 and they are well worth the money

Visited August 2013