“Fab Hotel and Fab Location for recreation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays

You added Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront Quays | Salford Quays, Salford M50 3XW, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Salford
Bournemouth
“Fab Hotel and Fab Location for recreation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a Sat & Sunday following on from visiting Alton towers. Ive never stayed in a HI Express before but was very pleased with my choice of accommodation!! We paid £59 in total for B&B on a BOGOF for 2 nights!! I did see in reception that the rack rate was £90 and maybe if I had paid £180 in total for 2 nights I might have expected more. Its right in the middle of Salford Quays and our room overlooked one of the basins. What was a shame was the litter floating in the water, not the hotels fault but did look very unsightly especially with the swans and ducks standing in it!
The room was probably what would be called medium size with a very comfy double bed and sofa bed. Might be little crowded with 4 sleeping in there but fine with just 2. Only a large shower but no bath all very clean and nice.
There is showergel/soap in the bath room but as most lower priced chains these days they are in non removable containers.
The reception/bar area was nice and the staff were very very helpful when I asked for maps and directions into Manchester and areas to go and eat/drink.
I saw someone else has noted that it’s a 15min walk to the metro stop but I would say its about 5mins away(and I walk slow!) and you want the Salford Quays stop, currently to St Peters Square as this is where the tram terminates due to works on the line and coming back you need to make sure you get on the Eccles tram. A return I think was £2.10 or £2.20 and takes about 10/15mins.
Old Trafford is close by, we walked there to do the tour which was good and I don’t even like football!
In Salford quays within 15mins walk there are a few chain restaurants although very quite.
Breakfast in the morning was nice, with plain and choc croissants, toast, rolls, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, hot drinks and fruit juice. There is also lots of free parking and the rooms have air con and there is free ice and payable food from a chiller in reception. There is also internet, and a phone charging point. I was told a taxi into town would be about £6-7.
Ive only given 4 stars for review due mainly to the toast machine for breakfast burning all my toast as it kept getting too hot and other guests kept turning the thermostat the wrong way(think the hotel needs to put a sigh on the machine or stop customers being able to change it!!), think lots of people had same problem!! Would definitely recommend this hotel for couples, girls weekend away etc didn’t seem to be big stag and hen do hotel so bit quieter than if you stayed right in town!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
county armagh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We had a lovely stay in this hotel, the staff were just lovely - friendly and helpful. Especially the lovely blond girl on reception to 11 on the 19th who was more than helpful getting me pillows and a toothbrush I had forgotten. I really loved the location next to the water. City centre easily reached by tram and the added bonus of free car parking. Clean rooms and buffet continental breakfast. Would def recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
boccuzzi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment about my hotel. Client feed back are always welcome and used to improve our standards and quality.
I'm really sorry to hear about the voucher situation, I have spoken to the managers responsable for it to ensure a non repetition of the same issue as you have explain.

Once again thank you for your comment.

Kind Regards

Gianfranco Boccuzzi
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Lowest Internet Rate Guarantee, they call it. So I payed weeks in advance for two nights at £79 per night, non-refundable. Within days, they lowered the very same rate (you know, the non-refundable lowest internet rate for advanced purchase) to £49/night. I've never heard of any hotel group doing this as I commonly save money by taking the non-refundable rate. If I then have to change the date, that's my problem. But every hotel I've ever booked with a non-refundable advance rate has always maintained that rate as their lowest.

I was disappointed when the hotel refused to do anything about it. And not impressed by the IHG press office not even bothering to reply to my email. The once great Holiday Inn brand now has no values whatsoever.

It cost me an extra £60, so I have promised them I'd put off at least one potential guest staying with any Holiday Inn property as a matter of principle. If you're reading this, it could be you! So, thanks. (I guess we probably won't bring them down though.)

To be fair, the location is great, the staff are fine and the rooms have mostly been okay on previous stays. I've not experienced the dead insects, poor cleanliness and noise other people have reported. This is just the principle of outrageously unfair charging which doesn't seem to bother them.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
West Sussex, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

As a family, we are regular stayers at both the Holiday Inn Express and the Holiday Inn hotels. We've always found that the hotels are clean, good value, modern and offer a good breakfast as well as an excellent loyalty card scheme (Priority).
We chose this one as it was a special treat for my son as Man Utd were playing at Old Trafford, with both the stadium, shopping and places to eat all close by.
On the plus side, the parking is good and free (although we arrived by train and caught a replacement bus to Salford Quays as the trams were out of action,10-15 minute walk to hotel from stop), the view of the Quayside and stadium were also good.
I've read the previous reviews, and I expected it to be at least as good as our previous stays, particulary in view of the £99 price tag for a family room including breakfast. This was the most expensive holiday inn we've ever stayed in, however with the match that night, I guess they could still fill the rooms at that price. I did get 7% cashback through Quidco however.
There are some issues which travellers need to think about if applicable to them.

Rooms - Although clean, we found them simply too small for 2 adults and 2 children. We are not large people either. The rooms are the smallest I've seen at any H.I., and unless you're sleeping, you don't all want to stay in one for too long. There was a stand up shower (no bath), limited soap from a dispenser and no shampoo/shower gels as in previous HI's we've stayed in. There was also mould growing up in the shower tile area, and limited plug sockets (I counted 1). The air con was pre fixed, and you could not get it to fall below 21 degrees, and it was hot with 4 people in the room at night, the window open or closed made no difference. On the plus side, there was ample tea and coffeee making facilities and enough towels.

Price - Poor value for just under £100 considering what you get, however they may have bumped the price up just because they knew they would be busy that night. Holiday Inn Express in the U.S. give you hot breakfasts, much larger executive rooms with flatscreen tv's, more room extras, swimming pool and a hot tubs for less £ so they may need to re-visit their value aspect again.

Breakfast - Very limited choice of continental, and very busy. After grabbing a bowel of cereal and a cup of tea, I turned around a few minutes later, and the queue was stretching into the reception area, so went away hungry as it would have been a long wait. My wifes grapefruit had a tang of washing up liquid in the bowel as well. The breakfast was not the best, maybe an improved layout to stop queues forming, and some hot food as well perhaps, considering the price of the room.

Check In - Well that was a world record, No introductions, nothing, just "sign here please" once he saw me sign against my name on the Priority check in list. Then a "Here's your room card, and your number, thanks". Well thanks, about 25 seconds in total. Perhaps a "Good afternoon, we hope you enjoy your stay" may be a good start.......They need to work on their customer experience that day.

For singles or couples looking for a 1 or 2 night stay maximum, this would be ideal, however for familys, just consider the room size and we just hope we caught the staff on a bad day....!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed here mid-July and got a nice, quiet room (101) as we had a baby with us (..and we didn't want her to have a sleepless night). She slept soundly and, upon request, the hotel even put a cot in the room for us.

Free car parking and close to the Lowry, MUFC..with the Trafford Centre not far away.

The room was clean, and overlooked the quay outside, with its Swans swimming.

Continental breakfast was included in the room rate, and a very nice one it was at that...though breakfast time was busy and we only just managed to get a table. High Chairs (..only 2 from what i could see) are available for babies/young children.

Would recommend the hotel for a 1 or 2 night stopover...not for any prolonged stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

An ability to park a car right outside, free & without hassle was what led us via online research to this hotel. Standard clean facilities that you would expect from Holiday Inn with a/c - handy when the weather ranged from hot to cool in 48 hours! As for location, Lowry Centre, MUFC and Imperial War Museum North all within walking distance and open-top city sightseeing bus calls regularly at MUFC and IWM. 5 minutes walk to nearest Metrolink (tram) stop for access to Manchester itself. In hotel, 20-minute internet access for £1 and breakfast room busy but efficient. Only irritation...on checking in we were given a letter by the duty manager and invited to have a free drink. We couldn't take advantage of it that day but when we came to do so the next day the (more junior) duty manager said that perk was only for 'our platinum customers' - what? - but he would (grudgingly) honour it as we'd been promised etc. Small point, but don't you just hate it when a freebie is offered with a flourish then an attempt made to renege on the deal? Bad customer relations - it would have been better if they hadn't bothered -but I haven't let it affect my overall rating and I would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
boccuzzi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, July 29, 2009

Once again thank you for your comment.

Kind Regards

Gianfranco Boccuzzi
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I found the hotel better than expected. I booked after reading Trip Advisor reviews, which were a bit mixed. The room was pretty basic, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was average, but what you would expect when preprepared en masse. I really liked where the hotel is situated on the canals. The Lowry Centre shopping outlet is a short walk away, as are several places to dine. There was also a tram/light rail station within easy reach to take you into Manchester city. Not being a city person being out of the city centre itself was a bonus for me, because I was not disturbed by traffic noise.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays? Share your experiences!