“One to tick off the Bucket-list...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens to your Saves list
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
3.0 of 5 Castle   |   Castle Street, Thornbury BS35 1HH, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“One to tick off the Bucket-list...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked this stay for my partner and I as a Christmas present, mainly because we both love historical places and visiting places with a bit of an edge. I must say we were not disappointed.

People can say that their room was a little dated, it wasn't family friendly or that it needs refurbishing but you need to remember it IS a 500 year old castle... And a beautiful one.

The staff were very attentive and the food was exquisite. We stayed in the 'Woodstock' Deluxe Chamber- by far the most impressive room I've stayed in with gorgeous views and fire. Okay it is pricey and not your average hotel costs but I certainly don't mind paying a bit more for experience and knowledge the Castle provides.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Everything about my stay last night didn't fail to impress me. The hotel itself is stunning, upon arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room I was in was truely amazing including an open fire in bedroom!

All of this was only topped off by one of the best meals I have had in a long time.

All in all I couldn't have wanted more and I can't wait to bring back my wife.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I were planning to be in England over Christmas, and we wanted to do something special for the holidays to make up for the fact that we'd be away from our families. I started looking up castle hotels on the Internet, and found Thornbury. I fell in love with it online, and spent the many months leading up to our trip reading every review and looking at every picture of the castle I could find. Having built it up in my mind so much, my boyfriend was worried that the real thing couldn't possibly live up to my fantasies. But Thornbury did not disappoint!
Our room, the Howard suite, was gorgeous, and had all the castle-ish details that I had hoped for: exposed stone walls, a fireplace (two, actually, but only one functional), tapestries, coffered ceilings, and an AMAZING four-poster bed draped with red curtains. The bed was delicious - down mattress top, down comforter, feather pillows. Man, I loved that bed. The bathroom was large with a nice, big bathtub that was even deep enough for my 6'4"-tall boyfriend. There was a complimentary decanter of sherry in our room, and a cozy sitting area in front of the fireplace, which was decked out with Christmas garland. We had to go up a stone spiral staircase to get to our room, which was awesome every time.
(I will say that our room did not have a proper shower, just the bathtub with a detachable showerhead. It worked out fine for us and wasn't a big deal, but if you *need* a shower, I'd advise contacting Thornbury to see which rooms have them.)

The staff was wonderful. Even before we arrived, Julie Ransom made us feel cared for by answering lots of questions via email and phone. Everyone who helped us at the castle, from General Manager Faye to bellhop Sam, was so kind and welcoming. It felt almost like spending Christmas with family. We also had lots of opportunity to chat with the other guests and get to know them, which really added to the family feel. There were several people who brought their children with them, which didn't bother us at all. The hotel seemed very child-friendly to me.

The Christmas break package itself was wonderful. We felt so taken care of. The dinners were lengthy - we were in the dining room for hours! - but the food was very good. We enjoyed all the little touches that came with the Christmas package, from the tea and cookies in the library when we arrived, to the champagne reception, to the little Christmas surprises that awaited us. (I will just say that Santa does not skip over Thornbury on Christmas Eve.)

Some other reviewers have commented on Thornbury's imperfections. I won't lie; they exist. The wood floors in our bathroom were a bit warped, the bathtub faucet leaked, and we had some issues with the electricity. But you know what? It's a castle! It's hundreds of years old! If I had wanted everything to be perfect, I would have stayed at a high-end modern hotel. The little "imperfections" at Thornbury did nothing to diminish our enjoyment. The beauty of the castle and the kindness of the staff more than made up for these little things.

This was such a lovely Christmas. Unfortunately, we had to leave very early on Boxing Day morning, as we had a morning flight out of Heathrow. I was so sad to be leaving Thornbury. I hope that some day we will have the money to come and stay there again.

If you're a romantic at heart who wants to stay in a castle for the sheer, castle-y magic of it all, then do stay at Thornbury Castle if you get the chance.

(I'm adding lots of photos because that's what I would have wanted to see when I was scoping this place out.)

Room Tip: The Howard suite is gorgeous - four-poster carved oak bed with red curtains, lovely gas fireplace, a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

i went here for lunch with a friend that i have not see in about 6 months and i would love to go back for an evening meal with friends or family the staff did not presure us in to chosing quickly the chairs are realy soft and comfy we were shonw in to the lounge were we where given our menu and ovlives and nuts will we look at the menu. we both went for a three course lunch £20 each good vale for a place like that i was expecting it to be more. the food was defently worth more than 2AA rosstes i had confied foie to start with rhubarb (forced) the rhubarb was perfect still a bit of crunch so that it has texter and was faltless with the foie and then that came with a cidre reduction witch just made the dish. for mains i had fish, as a fish lover i get very critccale if it is not right baut again no falts where to be found the brill came with pomme puree(mash) witch was creamy and buttery and then that was top of with suace verege. for desster i had lemon and lime tart with lemon sorbet all im going to say is a percet end to a lovely lunch thank you to every one at thornbury castel hotle for make such a nice day i will be back

(im sorry didn't over so i can't mark the rooms)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night, with their "Lazy Day" package which includes evening dinner , bed, breakfast and 2 course lunch. We had researched the rooms before we booked to make sure we got the "real castle experience" we were after and chose the Woodstock Deluxe bedchamber. The bedroom exceeded my already high expectations! The Woodstock is located in one of the castle towers and accessed via a steep narrow spiral staircase. Beautiful stone walls and fireplace with gas fire, plus tapestry over the fireplace. The 4 poster bed was absolutely wonderful, and so high that it reminded me of the bed in the Princess and the Pea story! The bed was extremely comfortable and soft, although having a duvet underneath covering the matress as well as ontop did make it a little too hot.

The room was wonderfully atmospheric and had a view out over towards the vineyard. The bathroom needed some refurbishment (paint peeling off the wall in one place etc) but had a good sized bath plus separate shower.

The food was wonderful, and we thought that the 2 course lunch at only £15 per person was excellent value. The Thornbury Castle wine is also delicious and we purchased 2 bottles to take home with us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here only one night but ate at the castle on two nights. The castle is a lovely building but would benefit from a little TLC/refurbishment in places. For example, albeit that the bed in our room was a four poster, the height of the bed made it difficult to climb into it and the side table with lamp was far too low, which meant that reading was not easy as the light did not shine at the right height, and reaching for a glass of water was a bit hazardous. There was no light at all on or over the dressing table, so I had to unravel much wiring to move one of the side lamps to the dressing table to be able to use the mirror and then move it back again. Also, the grouting between the bathroom floor tiles was cracked and some tiles were raised slightly, so not that safe for people. The underfloor heating was probably the cause of this. The grouting around the bath had obviously failed and been replaced with very badly applied mastic, which looked extremely messy. I suspect that as we were a late booking, we may have been allocated the least good room. I also notice that other comments mention Elemis products in the bathroom, but our room did not have these.
We found the food to be acceptable in its standard of cooking but the quantity served was poor e.g. my scallop starter appeared to be one scallop sliced into three, with one small slice of pancetta, though it was cooked well. A previous reviewer in September notes that four pieces of scallop were on his dish. Similarly main dishes of venison and beef contained very small portions of the main ingredient, on which other reviewers have made comment. I also found the menu to be rather limited. I have stayed in some very good hotels and perhaps my expectations of the Castle were high, but even my local gastro pub serves a better scallop starter.
Our experience of service was variable. On arrival after 3.00 p.m. our room was not ready and we were told to leave our luggage in the hall and to go upstairs, were we could take tea and await our room being available. We sat for over half an hour before anyone came up to us and that was to light the fire, not to bring us tea. A member of our party eventually went back to reception and complained, resulting in us being asked to go to the lounge where we could have afternoon tea. I have to say that this was very nice indeed. Service was generally slow in the lounge, and there did not seem to be sufficient staff. Getting a drink in the evening took around 20 minutes and the petits fours arrived long after we had been served coffee after our meals.
This hotel advertises itself as being suitable for families, but other than the archery, which could not be utilised due to the poor weather, there are few facilities for young children.
Whilst our friends had been able to book for two nights, we were only able to get a room on one night. The lady on reception was very helpful in finding us a nearby hotel and booking this for the second night. This was much appreciated.
Overall, I would tell people that this place has lots of history and atmosphere, but not to expect a fine dining experience.

Room Tip: Book early to get the better rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ulverston,Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have just returned from this magical castle. We arrived late on the 23rd December and stayed for 4 Nights. This was the best Christmas we have ever had. The Hotel is just beautiful, the rooms are amazing, large with fires on when you arrive in your room and the room we stayed in had a beautiful four poster bed. The bathroom was amazing with lovely soft dressing gowns and slippers and elemis products. The food was out of this world, everything home made even the bread. All the staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for you. The restaurant manager even took time out to show me their fantastically stock wine cellar explaining about the different wines, ports etc that they had, many of them very old, it was very interesting so thank you. As i am a fussy eater and don't like fish the chef even cooked me different courses on the fine dinning nights of Christmas Eve and Boxing night which was very kind of him. As i say this hotel if truly a wonderful place, with the most comfortably beds, amazing food, history bursting out of each room you go in and brilliant staff. I felt like a princess for these 4 days!! The general manager Miss Faye Kelly was on hand at all times and welcomed all the guests in the evenings. This hotel and her staff are a credit to the hotel group and i wish them all a Happy New Year and wish i was spending it at Thornbury Castle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!