“wedding ceremony and reception Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars

Stonehouse Court
Bristol Road, Stonehouse, Stroud GL10 3RA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
swindon
“wedding ceremony and reception Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

John & I wanted to say a ‘huge’ thank you for hosting our special wedding day. Everyone at Stonehouse Court were absolutely fabulous and did everything to help and assist us which enabled us to truly relax and enjoy the day! from the ceremony room to the wedding breakfast and the evening room were all flawless. The canapés were lovely, the wedding breakfast food was presented well, it was hot and tasted fabulous, the waiters, waitresses and bar staff all worked extremely hard, were helpful and very professional. We had the most fantastic day, Stonehouse Court is truly an incredible wedding venue, thank you for making our special day a memorable experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Wedding Guests,

Brilliant!! We are all so pleased the wedding went extremely well as we know how much effort the bride and groom out into it to ensure it was their perfect day. We are thrilled we helped make it all come together just the way they wanted it.

Your feedback is tremendously encouraging to the team who all work very hard to ensure our guests have the best stay and best day possible so thank you!

Kindest regards,

Michael and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Churchdown, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had the wedding co ordinator Mary for our wedding and wish we didn't I probably could have been my own wedding coordinator as she was no help whatsoever! She missed appointments went home when she had meetings with us and we had to get babysitters said she had forgot to put it in her diary! Ignored my email requests on numerous occasions and wasn't even in on my wedding day (she popped in to see what I looked like!) the manager or deputy manager at the time was a huge help but the problems had already happened! For the week before the wedding I asked for the carpets to be cleaned as they were disgusting the suite we got married.....she told me an industrial cleaner would be in but obviously that was a lie!
The wedding ceremony all went fine, the drinks on arrival were Buck's Fizz but we paid for the sparkling wine package, when we went to check the room before the dinner and speeches all of the table set up was completely wrong (despite a detailed plan being given to the hotel the day before the wedding) they kept a load of bottles of wine behind and it was only when we asked how much we had left they told us there was about 6 bottles! Were they just planning to keep them and charge us for this!!
Breakfast the next day was disgusting all the wedding party who stayed ( a fair few rooms) were extremely disappointed with the cheap tasting fry up we had!

To top all this off I never once had an apology or monetary refund (the wedding cost just over £5000) and feel that a bride should not have to worry about things like this on their wedding day a hotel should be able to do minor things like table plan etc and I would never ever recommend stonehouse court to any of my friends!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry you had issues with the previous Wedding Planner and indeed she is no longer with us but I am equally sorry you did not contact me sooner as I would have certainly dealt with your concerns immediately. However now 7 months down the line and with a new General Manager and a completely new team we were none the wiser to your plight.

It is not acceptable that your special day was not entirely as you envisaged it to be and I can certainly sympathize with your frustrations in the planning process. It is simply inexcusable not to attend to and assist the bride before and on her wedding day. That is a real shame and I am extremely sorry on behalf of the staff that were running Stonehouse weddings at the time.

However further your email correspondence recently with my new and very efficient Wedding Planner I am sorry you did not accept our offer to make amends after the fact. Therefore it is a shame that following this you published your review as it is certainly no longer an accurate reflection of the current business - as the latest review above will verify.

Should you wish to contact us again we will gladly continue to try to make amends for the previous faults no matter how long ago they occurred.

Finally I can confidently assure all future “Brides to be” that our Wedding Planner and indeed the whole team are completely dedicated to looking after each and every bride giving our full attention at all times from the first contact call right through to the day of the wedding, just as it should be!

Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday present for my husband and invited his daughter and son and both their respective families. There were 6 adults and 4 children in all. Initial impressions were good. However, as our stay progressed, we felt we were not really that welcome because of the children. We were put in an adjoining room to dine and excluded from dining in the main dining room. I paid for a special welcome gift (something like £15.00) per room, but these were not provided in any of the rooms. Eventually i was told the gifts were not in stock, yet the hotel then argued about refunding my money. More concerning was that there was NO hot water in the hotel to shower with on the Sunday morning. The hotel claimed that guests had used all hot water! But later (much later - 2 hours later) they still had no hot water. I wrote a letter of complaint, but hotel were not interested, they quibbled to the last penny about giving a refund of any kind. They eventually refunded me the money for the gifts that I never got. They were not interested in how I felt but were adamant they would not do anything to help resolve the very poor experience me and my family edured. It was an expensive weekend that was spoiled by the poor attitude of this hotel. I would not ever return to this hotel again and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
On reading this I was just about to contact Trip Advisor to say there had been some terrible mistake and this was not our hotel as we certainly do not treat our guest in this manner as recent reviews will attest to. However then it dawned on me that this guest stayed with us nearly 4 months ago back in November 2012 and then indeed I remembered it clearly.

Mrs T – I am going to be honest here and say your account on TA is largely one-sided and bordering on being totally conservative with the truth and sadly quite perplexing.

Actually, though we do occasionally get things wrong (who does not?), again as recent Trip Advisor reviews attest to we actually do really take pride in our service and we do look after and care about our guests (and their children!)

So….here we go,

• Gifts were in the rooms as advertised (I as GM put them in there myself before they arrived!!) but as you were not happy with them we immediately added additional gifts to the package to the value of £40 – please note this was immediate and without argument and dare I say it, with a genuine intent to please the guests.
Not a quibble in site!

• For the duration of the stay (as Mrs T did not pay for a DBB rate for the children) as a goodwill gesture we provided complimentary meals to all 4 children throughout the stay (I hope my boss does not read this bit but is this not being kind and welcoming enough to children?!).

• We gave you a Private Dining room that night for dinner so the kids could have more freedom to run around and enjoy themselves.

• We did have an unforeseen problem with the water the following morning and immediately offered you a room to use in another part of the hotel that was not affected Please note this was done immediately and without question.

• We reduced the rate and compensated the entire party for this unfortunate and unforeseen boiler malfunction (I am sure there are possibly one or two boilers that fail each year in Great Britain despite being regularly serviced and maintained?) and did our utmost to assist you in making alternative arrangements for showering.

• I was off on Sunday morning when the boiler failed (and over an hour away in Wales) but was immediately called at 8am by the hotel as per our emergency procedures and as we are professional about our business and put our guest comfort and well being before anything else I spent the next two hours on the phone between the hotel and the Building Services Company getting the boiler fixed. Definitely no quibble!

• We welcome well behaved kids at the hotel and I personally welcomed you in the beginning explaining I was not happy with the room you had booked having an extra bed in as it would be cosy with two young children. Therefore I offered you our Family Suite with adjoining rooms and proper beds for the kids so they would not be squashed into one room. I did not have to do this but as I cared about the comfort of the family and in this case, the children in particular I gave you a free upgrade to a Family Suite.

• Mrs T, you said it was expensive? The total value of the package was £977.90. After due compensation which was granted sans quibble on the day you paid in total for 10 people - dinner, bed and breakfast - £465. This equates to £46.50 per person for gifts, wine, 3 course dinner, full English breakfast and the rooms. Budget hotels, eat your heart out!

• In addition to the above you received £285 in complimentary items in the form of upgrades, private dining etc. Granted they did not ask for this but as we cared about them and their special occasion we gave it to them off our own bat.

• Finally it is worth noting that the Agent this package was booked through went through a lot of time and trouble to assist me in the process of trying to unravel why Mrs T was so unhappy. In the end the booking agent was totally supportive of us once they understood the truth of the matter. Thank you to the booking agent for your support!

Enough said.

Your sincerely,

Michael Obray
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We attended a wedding and stayed overnight. All the staff were helpful especially on reception. We had a large and well-equipped room. The food at the wedding was good and so was breakfast. The function area is very well designed with space to talk and drink away from the music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building with a rear view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear swimmertwice

What a lovely review which is really appreciated by all of the staff who were involved with the wedding - Thank You! I understand that the Bride and Groom were equally pleased with their special day too which is what we love to hear.

The Caroline Suite is indeed a fantastic venue for events and weddings, especially with its private gardens and quaintly English gazebo.

Please do comeback and visit us soon (no need to wait for another wedding!)

Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We arrived to a wedding taking place in the hall /entrance so no where to sit and felt like we were intruding. We paid extra for an exeuctive room which really was a very poor standard in deed. nothing executive about it at all. what a waste of money.

we came down to dinner and no one acknowledged us at all...we had to go and get our own drinks..had to look for a bar person !!!!!!!!! no one to be seen....we had to go and get our own menu.................then no one came at all for 45 mins................that was it we walked out...............the manger came running after us to say sorry ............we did go back in because it was 9.pm by this point...............he was very good at his job ......apologised very much and we did not have to pay for the dinner.

The service and the food was spot on and saved the day.

we would not go back again as although a beautiful building .....it needs an up lift.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Hello,

I am truly sorry we were hosting a wedding on the day of your visit which should not have detracted from service.

I am however pleased you that had the meal totally complimentary by way of an apology.

I am also pleased we addressed our shortcomings on the night and that thereafter you were very well attended to for the rest of your stay. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to highlight our service is generally top class and that you were indeed well taken care of in the end!

You will also be very pleased to know were are in the process of having the guests areas in the Manor House refurbished and indeed 10 more of our Garden Wing rooms too which will be happening from February and bodes well for the future of Stonehouse.

Seeing as food was excellent and the follow up service was good I am disappointed at your two stars but understand that our earlier misgivings provided justifiable opportunity to post this report.

Finally the Restaurant Manager you said was very good at his job is the manager we have just appointed to build a new restaurant team to take the service at Stonehouse forward so I am also disappointed you will not be returning to experience this.

Yours sincerely,

Michael
south west
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our third stay at Stonehouse Court - previous stays have been in the spring so having noted the beautiful fireplace in the entrance lounge we were looking forward to sitting in front of a log fire and relaxing with a glass of wine. We weren't disappointed the fire was warm and welcoming. We had originally booked our night at the hotel for the snowy weekend but had to rearrange due to the adverse weather and being unable to get the car off the drive! We received confirmation that the stay had been rebooked for 26th - we'd booked a table in the restaurant for 7.30pm but unfortunately this part of our booking hadn't been transferred across to the new date and due to the number of guests also staying on 26th we were offered an earlier table for 6.30pm - a little early for us but it was fine. Our meal was delicious as per our previous visits - our room was cosy and as a previous reviewer has said up in the gables so extremely peaceful and quiet - just as we like it. The view from our room (number 10) was great and in winter still as beautiful as when we've been in the spring. Hotel team were as we have always found helpful and friendly. The only niggle was that the deal we booked confirmed by email that the meal was to the value of £35 per person - however on checkout we had been charged additional costs for our meal and told by the Receptionist that who ever organised our booking had made a mistake - the deal was for 2 courses up to the value of £25 per person. We were able to show our confirmation and pointed out that as this was what we'd received we weren't happy about paying the additional costs - the Receptionist then said she could remove the extra charges. Have to say it left a bad taste after what had been an enjoyable stay - if guests are sent incorrect information they don't then want to be having to negotiate at point of checkout rather embarrassing. Up to this point we had enjoyed our stay and hope to return again soon. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the original part of the hotel are tastefully furnished - really comfy large beds - fabulou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WanderlustSouthWest,

Thank you for your lovely review and the 4 stars. I am sorry about the mix up on your booking times and the prices on the package but though the restaurant was absolutely full that night I am pleased we made up for it with our service and the comfortable stay.

It is great to know how much you enjoyed Chefs menu and our attentive restaurant service. The team have been working hard in the new year to achieve this and your feedback is very encouraging for them and indeed for myself.

Finally the log fire - ah, the wonderful log fire, the perfect accompaniment to a glass of wine and a relaxing night. Nothing better than toasty toes and a lazy after-dinner drink. Glad you enjoyed it!

Coelbren, Neath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel weekend of 18/19 January. It is a lovely setting within its own grounds and a short distance to the canal walk at the rear of the hotel. This is a quaint old style hotel with a log fire in the lounge keeping the guests warm. The room was quite large and airey but slightly dated. That said, it was pleasant enough and the large bed was quite comfortable. The plus for this hotel is it's staff. They are all extremely attentive and well presented. We found the staff from the bar, front desk to the restaurant to be quite pleasant, efficient and very professional in all their dealings with us. The dinner in the reastaurant was very good and the cooked breakfast in the morning is substantial. The hotel at this time of year is very quiet and this may be why the staff can be so attentive but on the whole, a very pleasant stay and we would stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Only seen 2 of the rooms and they were both of the same standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Eric,

It am pleased we lived up to your expectations on a frosty but beautiful weekend! We are all very happy to hear you felt welcome and at home and that the service was attentive throughout.

Thank you for braving the snow to get here and there was always that safety net of a extended stay if the weather closed in as we would have kept the log fires burning and the wine topped up!

I hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon and until then thank again you from the whole team.

Kindest regards,

Michael and Team

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!