“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have recently had a one night stay at the Stonehouse Court Hotel. The day f our arrival was also the first day of snow so we were a little concerned about the roads. We had a lovely call from Holly the receptionist asking us about our journey and giving details of road conditions in the area. We managed to arrive safely and shown to a lovely room in the main hotel which was lovely. The bed was very large and very comfortable, we had a lovely view over the gardens. Due to the poor weather conditions the hotel was very quiet, which was lovely for us, there was still a lovely atmosphere to soak up sitting in front of a roaring fire with a delicious mulled wine. Our evening meal was super, perfectly cooked, I would have preferred slightly longer in between courses but as it was so quiet this was probably unusual. Staff were attentive but unobtrusive. Overall a lovely stay and staff were so helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main hotel and we enjoyed its character.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Anne,

It is good to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that made it through the snow to get here. After that it is especially pleasing to know we made it worth the trip!

I have passed your compliments onto the staff which is always greatly appreciated and really serves to boost morale in the hotel.

I hope we will see you sooner than we see the next bout of heavy snow!

Michael and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Flackwell Heath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Was at Stonehouse court for the New years eve gala dinner what a joke!

this is the letter we sent to the GM

Dear Mr Obray,

I reply in response to your email dated 2nd January 2013. Your intimation that our disappointment was due to the meal not being to our taste is not the issue. For £75 per head I am sure you would agree that you should at least get reasonable food.

I attach photos of two of the main lamb course meals presented to our table. My meal (not in the photo) looked completely different; it had no fat, but did not taste right. I asked my wife who is a chef, to taste, she did not even get it in her mouth as the smell was overpowering she immediately said do not eat any it’s off! She described the meat as “high”.

I went to the duty manager. He in turn went to the kitchen to see the chef. On his return stated chef said meat is good and maybe it was just not to our tastes, in other words our fault. I have been to many fine restaurants worldwide and tasted many varieties of lamb. I know how lamb should taste. These comments enraged me even more as all of the three dishes were still on the table I just wanted to walk out and register a formal complaint at reception, but was reminded by the rest that it is 9.30pm New Year’s Eve we are in an unfamiliar area dressed dinner jackets and evening gowns where are we to go ?

Duty manager Marian shortly came over took the meals away and we agreed to accept a 50% reduction for this “fine dining experience”. I was and still far from happy but at the time felt it was a compromise so we could carry on with the evening.

I talked to diners on adjoin tables all of them agreed the meal was poor I looked around the dining area, most tables had left their meals.

The following morning the service or lack of it was unacceptable. We found a table and asked for it to be cleared, got fed up of waiting so found a tray and cleared ourselves. When breakfast arrived we still had no cutlery, there was obviously a severe staff shortage.

We had previously booked a table at the restaurant for an evening meal, but after the New Year’s Eve and the breakfast experience I told Marian that things were not

Showing any positives and there was no way that we would chance eating in this hotel again.

You said you wanted feedback well here it is consider a more competent chef or caterer, consider red wine drinkers we like to use the correct glasses, employ some more reliable staff who will not let you down. Although I must praise all the staff members that we met were a credit to the company and the hotel and locations is excellent.

I hope my comments will help to improve and help you move forward.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Mr Brophy,

Thank you once again but I shall refrain from posting my written response and apology (sent to you on 12th January 2013) on the world wide web as it was addressed to you and to honour that it shall remain private.

I shall also refrain out of respect and courtesy from posting the email I received from the other half of your party stating that though we did make mistakes, how happy they were that the complaints and issues were dealt with swiftly and to their satisfaction. We have already also given you monetary compensation as you were not happy.

So I have now apologised to you in writing both in public and privately and acknowledged your dissatisfaction and even told you that your feedback would assist us in getting it right for next year (which we definitely will do!) Therefore I am not sure what this posting is intended to achieve other than to try to destroy the morale of the hotel staff who have been working extremely hard in improving the service and offering at Stonehouse Court over the past few months.

Mr Brophy, if you are still not satisfied with our apologies and compensation please feel very welcome to call me directly as it may bring a more objective resolution to any further matters you feel may be outstanding. I assure you that as ever that you will receive my full attention.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Obray
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for the gala dinner on NYE. Positives first: the service was very good. We found the staff to be polite, friendly and very helpful. The set menu for the NYE dinner included a couple of dishes I don't eat and they were substituted for items of my choosing off the a la carte menu without question - full marks for that. Also we had prepaid for a bottle of the house champagne, but it wasn't to our taste so it was changed for a more expensive bottle and we just paid the difference in cost - we thought that was very fair and great service.
Negatives: our room, It has been said many times before but if you can possibly avoid it, do not stay in the annexe. It has all the atmosphere (maybe less) of a Premier Inn - albeit one attached to an exquisite manor house. We stayed in room 22 - what a crashing sense of disappointment when we opened the door - it's very small with a small double bed, stained carpet and tired furniture. The food wasn't great, difficult to cater for large numbers, but this is what hotels like this do. And the function room? Another annexe with no atmosphere at all. We left feeling quite flat.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annexe.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Alex and Scott,

Than k you for your constructive review. I am very pleased to know that you felt well looked after during your stay. We always do try to accommodate our guests and are as accommodating and flexible in fulfilling our guest requirements and I am very pleased you experienced this.

I understand that a few remaining rooms in our Garden Wing have not yet been refurbished but the great majority have stunning views over the gardens and Cotswold Hill beyond. We have put a program of rolling refurbishment in place but in the mean time the pre-refurbished rooms lower rates still represents good value for money and though the carpet had a few small stains I am hoping you will agree that the room was spotlessly clean.

I am disappointed you did not like the menu but as you pointed out we bent over backwards to provide you with alternative dishes on the night so it was disappointing to hear that you felt the food was "not great" when generally speaking our food attracts very favorable feedback.

The room on the night was dresses in silver and we hired in additional lighting to wash the walls so with this adding to the atmosphere and the remarkable checkered dance floor many guests commented on how good the room looked. However as I said in a response to a previous review we will be taking a different approach to NY Eve this year by holding a James Bond Casino Dinner Dance with a simpler menu that would appeal to a broader range of tastes.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave us your feedback and we wish you both a happy and successful 2013.

Banbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have just returned from a new years eve party at stonehouse court hotel we sat down to eat at 8 the final course came out at 11!!! I have never had such a poor meal in all my life it was that bad the only course we ate was the cheese and biscuits,so don't think we will be going next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in the older part of hotel are better.
Dear John,

We are all truly sorry that you did not enjoy the New Years Eve dinner. As advertised the meal was a 7 course gala dinner so with the first course going out at 8.20pm the service for 7 courses was always going to take time, after all a 7 course dinner is not an affair to be rushed.
I will agree that premium Welsh Saltmarsh lamb (served in top restaurants throughout the country) is not to everyone's liking and I assure you we will take your valuable feedback into consideration when planning next years (this years!) event.

We will be going for a "fewer courses with more fun" approach this year by holding a James Bond Black Tie Casino evening with a simpler menu that will appeal to a more wider range of tastes.

I hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future as we have a very accomplished chef and kitchen brigade who attract consistently good praise and appreciation for the dishes he creates on the a la carte and function dining menus.

Finally, may we wish you all the best for 2013 and we really do hope we see you back in the future.

Michael
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our stay at Stonehouse Court was very enjoyable. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and polite in a very unobtrusive way. We were blessed with very mild weather which did mean the hotel was very warm at times, but a window opened when requested did the trick. Our bed on the other hand was very hard which did rather spoil out nights sleep. The food was to an excellent standard and every meal was superb.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your review. Though I am very sorry to hear that the bed was too hard for your liking I am very very pleased that you felt so well looked after in every aspect of your stay with us.

As a team we are working constantly to provide our guests with ever improving service. The hotel has a wonderful atmosphere to it but without good attentive service a stay would not be the same so this positive feedback is greatly welcomed and appreciated by the whole team.

May we wish you well for the New Year and hope we see you soon (we will give you a room with a softer mattress too - I promise!)

Tewkesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have just spent an amazing family Christmas at stonehouse court.
Having never spent Christmas away from home, it was fair to say I was a little bit nervous that going away would not be as nice. But this was the nicest, most relaxing Christmas we have had as an adult family. I would like to thank all the staff for helping to make the stay perfect. From the minute we made the booking, and it was suggested that we look at the four poster room to give us a lovely space in which to open presents and play games, to the minute we checked out, the staff were helpful, seemed happy and could not have done more. The food was also far beyond our expectations .
Thank you all very much.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Mr and Mrs Scott,

We are very grateful for your wonderful feedback about the food and your overall stay. The whole team worked very hard over Christmas with the genuine goal to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable and we had fun in the process too!

I am very pleased to know we made your first stay away from home over Christmas a special one (phew - no pressure then!!) and we wish you a successful 2013 and hope to see you back before next Christmas.

Kindest regards,

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at Stonehouse Court in order to see the Christmas lights at Westonbirt. The drive to Westonbirt took us about forty minutes, so the hotel is well placed for this outing, provided you avoid Stroud (which you would be silly not to).
Having read TripAdvisor comments, we discussed rooms with the receptionist and finished up in Room 3, in the main building at the back, overlooking the garden. We were very pleased with our room - it was clean and comfortable and warm. The bathroom was lovely - vast bath and vast shower and lots of room. The view in the morning was lovely.
The staff were all friendly and agreeable and helpful. The menu offered a number of nice-looking possibilities, and we were very pleased with what we decided on, which was well-cooked and flavoursome (and well served). We finished with local ice-cream, which the restaurant manager told us we would enjoy and which lived up to his recommendation.
Breakfast the following morning suited us perfectly well - nice coffee, sufficient choice, no delays, friendly waitresses.
The style of the older part of the hotel tends to the baronial, and slightly worn stair-carpet seemed rather in keeping with this! There were logs burning in the grate in the main hall when we arrived.
Though on the main road, the hotel is set well back from it and we didn't notice any traffic noise in our room. The hotel has a popular function room; on the night we were there (which was in the run-up to Christmas) there was, not surprisingly, a party, but we were only aware of it when the revellers came to bed, and even then we were not significantly disturbed by it - any noise from the event itself seemed well-contained in the function room, which is a separate building. I imagine that such use of the hotel is an important part of its income stream and it seemed to us that the managers kept the balance between accommodating parties and providing for tourists such as ourselves perfectly well.
We could have stayed in a hotel a bit nearer the Arboretum, but Stonehouse Court offered a very attractive deal for a one-night stay and I doubt that we could have stayed more cheaply in so comfortable a place any nearer Westonbirt and had a more delicious dinner. We happily recommend it.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel, overlooking the garden, is pleasant.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike O, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Stephen,

Thank you for staying with us on our Westonbirt package. It is lovely to know you felt it was very good value for money and in addition to this that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Unfortunately being such a busy time of year for us I have not had the opportunity to visit Westonbirt since the Christmas lights were turned on but I believe they look fantastic. In the mean time I will have make do with the lights and beautiful tree we have in our reception lounge which certainly creates the Christmas spirit along with our roaring log fire here at Stonehouse Court.

From the team and I we wish you a Merry Festive Season!

Michael

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!