“Excellent relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Stonehouse
south west
“Excellent relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Beautiful setting - excellent food and wine - nothing is too much trouble - friendly welcoming atmosphere - our second stay here and hopefully we'll make a return visit - love it.

Room Tip: Look on the hotel own website for current special offers - well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner. Paying £130 for the night I was expecting something decent. I had phoned the hotel the day i booked to tell them I did not want an annexe room (due to reviews on here) and told them I would rather not stay if I couldnt book a room in the house. I was told that it would be £30 for the upgrade and that no problem my room in the house was booked. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the receptionship dressed in a white T shirt which had coffee stains all down the front. (I have her name should management be interested) she gave us our room key and sent us on our way. We soon realised we were heading for the annexe. I returned to reception to inform her of the error expecting her to sort it out. She was extremely rude letting me know in no uncertain terms that this was a total pain to her and that she would rather not do it. Told me what was she meant to do because it wasnt her who booked my room for me. She also admitted that on my booking form it stated that I was to be given a room in the house as I had paid for an upgrade. I finally managed to get a room in the house but not before Miss Attitude told me that because of me someone else no longer had the room they had booked and that because of me she would now be in trouble. I was ready at the moment to tell her what I thought of her disgusting behaviour and cancel my booking. My partner talked me out of it and we went to our room. Our room was lovely (decor a bit outdated) it overlooked very pretty gardens and I was really happy with it. We went to the bar after settling in and had to look for someone to serve us. there is no form of uniform in this hotel so it is very difficult to distinguish between guests and staff. Apart from the fact that the staff dress very casually and sometimes quite slovenly. That night we went to henry;s restaurant as we had booked a table. very disappointed, no ambience at all. A bit like a room with no character and a few tables dotted here and there. Badly furnished. because we were stuck in the middle of this room at a too small table we decided to eat in our room instead and told the gentleman who was running around trying to help everyone. Im not sure of his name he was foreign and wore glasses and in my opinion was the only productive member of staff in the whole hotel. he was really friendly and helpful lovely guy. We went to our room and tried 4 times to contact reception to place our food order and eventually had to walk back downstairs. Placed our order and went back to our room. Lo and behold we were sent the wrong food. We were then asked by the waitress if we would rather have that food ????? By this time It was getting embarrasing, I told her to take the food back and send us what we ordered. Finally it all arrived and I must admit the food was lovely. I recommend the rack of lamb, it was cooked to perfection. The next morning we went to settle our bill and guess what, yep it was wrong. they tried to charge me again for my room which i had already paid for. I was really glad to leave. If this hotel actually got some decent trained staff it might be a little gold mine. But as far as I can tell and reading other peoples reviews its heading one way. Management, you have replied to some of these reviews with apologies etc......why arent you doing something about it. your staff are rude, badly dressed and ignorant. Surely you want this business to work? I wont be back and while I was there at least 3 other couples said the same. If you are looking for a nice relaxing weekend........dont go here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Family Wedding, on a Saturday morning 12 o`clock.
Easy to find straight of the M5 motorway, J13 Stroud.
Plenty of parking at the front of the hotel, but we did pick up a puncture on arrival, can’t say for sure if it was in the hotel drive or parking area for sure, Either way the AA soon came out and fixed it for us while we enjoyed the family wedding. The only draw back was that we could not book in our rooms until after the ceremony, which was at 12.00 which meant we had to travel there in are best bib and tucker, which meant my wife having to do her makeup hair etc. before we arrived. Never bothered me, but it would have been better if we could have booked in at 10.30 or 11. Then get changed ready for the wedding at 12.
The Venue is very pretty, with nicely laid gardens and a patio area, the wedding took place outside in the gazebo type building, and we could have gone indoors if the weather turned bad. Lucky for us the sun came out and it was fantastic day all round. All the grandchildren loved the slide and climbing frame, just watch out for the fish pond even though it has cover over it some of the kids tried to have a paddle. Lots of grass areas so the kids could run around and play while the adults had a drink or 2 on the patio area, bar prices were fairly good, spirits were a bit pricey. But hey it’s a hotel so don’t expect cheap drinks.
We made our hotel booking 9 months out, and then nearly on the day had to double check all the arrangements due to some double booking on some rooms. It did cause the bridal party a few issues with not having adjoining rooms for the cots for the grandchildren. All said and done they did bend over backwards to remedy the issues, which should never have been allowed to happen in the first place.
Also another member of the wedding party had booked 2 cots for their room only to be told they had run out when they arrived, eventually after having a few words with the management cots were provided and apologies made, They were given there room and cots for free as compensation for the mix up.

The food was good, never tried the restaurant our self, but were told the food was good very pricy.
All the staff seemed ok with our party and we never had any issues.
Great venue for a summer wedding and the bridal party did get a good deal via Groupon.
Breakfast was brill with everything you could wish to eat or drink nice big fry up to aid the hangover.
Check out was no problem either.

Not sure what this hotel would be like for 2 or 3 night stop over, as we only used it for the wedding party.

Room Tip: We were lucky we stayed in the old main building and had room No 3 with a four poster bed. This is...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

No idea why this place has such a high rating :-/

Upon check in, we were informed that our room was ‘a bit of a walk’ and did we want help with our bags, “No thanks” we said, we can take a bit of a walk. She didn’t inform us that our room was the furthest point in the hotel and we had to climb up and down many stairs to get there. It was hard work even getting to the room!

I felt like I was in a game of Cluedo or at Faulty Towers or something. The building itself is old, beautiful and quaint, the welcome letter brags about having six acres of beautifully manicured gardens, however, the inside is far from beautiful, or manicured. I didn’t expect the interior to have been *quite * so stuck in the dark ages.

For example, the walls are in severe need of painting, there was black marks and scuffs on almost every wall in our room. The curtains need re-hung, they are ripped and falling off the curtain hooks. Our shower curtain is stained, with what, I’m not quite sure. The windows and mirrors were grubby and in need of a clean, the mirrors and frames have paint chipped off; the carpet is stained with something that looks like it had bleach in it and the boxed tissues are cheap, like that sandpaper-y public toilet toilet-paper.

We got to the room and we both needed to check our emails (for work), however we couldn’t get the internet to work on any device. No one answered our repeated calls to the front desk, so hubby had to walk back through the maze to be told there was no internet, there has never been internet and that essentially, we’d no chance.

Later the same day, hubby asked another employee who told him the internet was broken and they’d had someone in trying to fix it for days. I’ve asked at reception both on the Thursday and Friday, if the internet had been fixed, the Thursday chap just said, “I don’t know”, the lass on Friday said the same, but I prodded, “Well is there anyone here who could find out?”, her reply was, “yes, what is your room number and I’ll call you when I’ve spoken to the manager” – at the time of writing this, we left this morning and I’m still waiting for my phone call. There’s no excuse for people not to return a phone call.

In spite of having a Mr and Mrs McMaster down on our room reservation, they’re treating us like there’s one person here, we’ve had one towel, our meal card has also only one guest noted on it – which is just lack of attention to the most basic of details.

Our TV unit was about two-feet off the ground, meaning if you’re lying in bed, you couldn’t watch the TV as it wasn’t high enough to see and was poorly placed so only one person in the bed could see it anyway.

The bed itself was way too soft for our tastes – with a bad back, I like having a firm mattress. The pillows were exceptionally thin and even the two of them that you’re given, doesn’t come close to the thickness of one regular pillow – and again, they are super-soft. Waste of time if you ask me, it’s like sleeping on a pack of cotton wool.

You have to sign in and out of the gym before you use it, there’s no remote for the TV so you can’t turn it on and off without using the switch at the wall, the church bells have rung every day since we’ve been here, at least once and they’re loud and annoying, the in-room tea and coffee selection doesn’t have sweetener, hubby says the breakfast selection isn’t the greatest or most impressive either and the in-room trouser press, which, again, looks as old as the hotel itself, is awful. We almost bought an ironing board and iron from Tesco, but instead hubby’s been going to the office in wrinkled clothes.

My final, and probably second largest complaint to the lack of internet (which, given my hubby was here on business, is quite a huge pain in the rear) is the lack of room service facilities.
You can get breakfast delivered to your room, between the hours of 7am and 9am (for a £5 additional fee). You can get dinner delivered to your room between the hours of 7pm and 9pm (again for a fee), however there’s no lunch, no snacks, no late-night food of any kind. Which, if, like me, you’re staying there with no access to a car and in the hotel all day until your hubby comes back from the office – SUCKS.

I’ve never been in a hotel that operates this way, I feel like I’m in the back of beyond. It’s the 21st century, I’m not asking for Star Trek gadgets, but some basic amenities would be nice!!

I wouldn’t stay here again :-/

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband & I stayed here this weekend as we were going to a party in the area. We decided to treat ourselves to what we thought would be a decent hotel at £120 per night. We were hugely disappointed. The room was dirty & looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The carpet was covered in stains and the bed was small & uncomfortable. I wish we'd stayed somewhere else!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and stay in a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My partner and myself stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party. We were given a room in the annex part of the hotel. The room itself looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1980's, the decor was very tired and we could feel every spring in the mattress! Also outside the window was a large amount of discarded cigarette butts which had not been cleared.

Then there was the staff, or rather lack if staff at the breakfast service. We had to clear our own table, wait 10 mins before we could get a member staff to order coffee and then waited 15 mins for it not to show up!

This hotel was not worth £50 a night let alone £120!

Room Tip: Go to the travelodge down the road!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

poor service cold food very tough beef poor menu for the price will not be back

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!