“Traditional hotel with some nice ambience” 5 of 5 stars

Stonehouse Court
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bristol Road, Stonehouse, Stroud GL10 3RA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stonehouse
Midlands UK
“Traditional hotel with some nice ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We attended a Sunday wedding this winter at the Stonehouse Court Hotel, I was the photographer for the event so I stayed for the whole day, through to the end of the night. I found the hotel staff friendly, polite, helpful and efficient. The hotel is a little dark inside but kind of cosy and oldy worldy. There is a small bar, and good sized restaurant nice with nice modern décor and the like. This served as the ceremony room for the function I attended. The grand sounding Caroline suite is a function room which I saw when it was empty, and thought it looked a bit bland - but when it was decked out for the wedding breakfast and later that evening for the couples evening function disco and buffet it looked great. Acoustics are very good the guys disco system sounded amazing in there and the proliferation of ceiling halogen lights created a really nice look, and photogenic I thought. The food was reasonable wedding fayre: soup was pleasant enough, I enjoyed it but nothing exceptional. Main course chicken, mash and side veg was quite small and fairly safe in terms of flavour (middle of the road, no risk). Desert was delicious. Staff managed the service very well once again. For the bedroom we had room 26, I don’t know if it was a standard room or a suite upgrade etc. The bed was mega-comfortable and big (after 12 hour day, was much needed). Nice view via a big bay window of the large lawn. The building from the garden looks splendid, it is a nice backdrop for some photographs. Quiet and relaxing on a nice day I’d say. Breakfast was a bit of a pain – after a wedding you’d expect to saunter down to eat at 10.00 am, but hey! The food was all finished and closing at 9.00 am!! Crazy-early for guests staying on a Sunday night I’d of thought, and therefore we only got some cornflakes and had to ask for coffee especially. Location is handy, just 5 minutes drive from the Stroud exit of the M5. Overall you have the feeling the people working there all pull together and try very hard and I think they do a great job overall. I’m not going to nit-pick. Recommend you try it.

Room Tip: Room 26 is the only one we saw ... but ask for one facing the lawns for the best views and sunset
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

On Sunday the 12th of February we had our Wedding at the Stonehouse Court Hotel and My wife and I and guests thought it was FANTASTIC!!...Mary had set the whole day up and Russell was our 'man on the day' that we went to with any problems. We had the whole do in the Caroline Suite and then it was transformed for the wedding breakfast and evening do. As we were the only wedding we also had the reception drinks in the lounge (with the log fire going!), and the string quartet we had booked definitely polished the ambience of the place. Our photgraphs were taken on the patio of this beautiful Manor house. The staff were friendly and very accomodating. The food for the event was as good a quality as when we had the "wedding tasting." Even though there seemed to be a long time between courses nobody complained and to be honest with you the food was that good you needed time to enjoy it. Very pleasant grounds,..very nice location for photographs. The guests used the 24 hour bar to its advantage and i did not receive any negative comments about rooms...The bridal suite was lovely, bit of discolouration in the grouting and missing sealant but it was a minor point, and there was a loose socket on the wall with chipped plaster surrounding it that just needed tightening up and some sealant. As the previous review stated the overlow car park was a bit muddy for guests could with a new surface. Breakfast in the morning was good and the english breakfast was very nice, there were a lot of children the following morning and even though as a parent it is our responsiblity to keep them under control it would have been nice to see a fire guard over the nice open log fire they had going in the dining hall. The breakfast staff were extremely helpfull and friendly at a very busy time however you cannot expect 3 waitressing staff to cope with a hotel that is full of wedding guests that all want breakfast at the same time, we have just stayed in a similar rated hotel and they had 5 waitressing staff and managed to cope very well. Having said that the bacon, sausages, eggs tomatoes etc were in big silver servers being dishes out by staff and topped up regularly,...whether that had any bearing on efficiency i dont know......A cracking stay, that finshed off an amazing day, thanks to all the staff from us both.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

My visit was for a business trip and I have stayed at the Stonehouse Court on a number of previous occasions so it is obviously good enough to get my return business. Having said that there are both positive and less positive aspects about this hotel.
On the positive side it is a lovely old stone mansion set in attractive grounds. There is a gate out of the back garden that allows access to the canal, allowing for some pleasant walks when weather is suitable. Inside, the main house has a variety of old and interesting features including a lovely carved wooden fireplace surround in the dining room. All of this makes for a pleasant change from the corporate homogeneity of the chain hotels that I often end up staying in and my room rate was certainly competitive with these chains, especially as free internet access was provided - something that is often charged at an exorbitant rate in other hotels.
On the less positive side my room was in the modern annexe (not particularly a problem in itself) which by now is beginning to look a little tired, particularly in the bathroom where some of the tiling is slighty stained and fittings generally seem a little dog-eared. The shower was difficult to set to a comfortable temperature using separate hot and cold taps and a modern shower mixer tap would be a useful addition in any refurbishment. The bed was not very comfortable as I could feel the metal springs in the mattress - this could perhaps be resolved with a mattress pad that would give a little extra softness without leading to sagging.
The television set was not working on the night of my arrival and I reported this to reception when leaving on the next morning and was assured it would be looked into. Unfortunately when I returned in the evening the tv was still not working and there was no evidence of anyone having done anything. This time I called reception immediately and a young man came to sort it out. After some fiddling about with the set the problem was resolved by swapping the digital decoder box wth one from another room (hopefully the next guest in that room was not faced with the same problem!). Of course things do go wrong but it is disappointing when they have to be reported more than once to get them rectified.
A more trivial issue with the service was the fact that a large plastic flask of cleaning spray was left in my bathroom on day one of my stay alongside the complimentary shower gel and shampoo and was again left there the following day. In truth it caused me absolutely no problem but it does perhaps betray a lack of attention to detail that should be addressed.
As noted above, the reason for my stay was business and clearly business travellers form a significant proportion of the hotel's clientele. Given that this is the case, consideration could be given to making the room furnishings a little more practical. There was only one tiny table in my room that was largely occupied by the tea-making tray and trying to work on it was a bit of an unsatisfactory balancing act. Again any future refurbishment may need to take this into account.
The grounds to the front of the house have been largely sacrificed to parking with a large overspill car park between the main drive and forecourt and the main road. This is surfaced with oose stone and has a variety of hollows and potholes that were full of puddles when I was there. Arriving after dark and parking in this area (there are a dozen or so spaces in the main forecourt if you arrive early enough) involves cimbing a set of stone steps up a bank and crossing a strip of grass to reach the forecourt. The path is is poorly lit, especially after reaching the top of the steps, and I found myself walking onto the grass at the top where the stone path took a right angled turn. This was not a problem to me but might not be very welcome to female guests wearing evening shoes on a wet night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We had a family luncheon @ Henry's Restaurant in the gorgeous olde worlde Stonehouse Court Hotel. Due to a motorway delay some of our party were 45 mins late and the staff were patient polite and courteous, even though the kitchen closed @ 2pm we still had full excellent service, full marks to the Chef's and Waiting Staff. Although its a luxurious and grand place the prices in the restaurant are very reasonable. The food was fantastic, all cooked and presented to the highest standard. The hotel sits in landscaped peaceful grounds and it was our pleasure to be lucky enough to have a table by the window with a lovely green view. We waited for our family to arrive in the tasteful reception on comfy yet elegant divan's. There was a baronial carved stone fireplace and a welcoming blazing log fire. My 4 year old son was understandably bored and disturbed the peace, however the staff were friendly and charming to him even when he wrecked the display of wedding leaflets! I would highly recommend the food here, especially the side dish of chips as they were chunky and tasty. As we were waiting for our family I ordered a bread platter as an appetizer, only £3.00 and served on a slate along with 2 tasty dips was enough freshly cooked hot bread for 3 people. Very good value. We will definately be dining here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wetherby, Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

It's hotels like this in England that break my heart. All the elements are there for a splendid and beauteous hotel but all are squandered due to poor training of staff and lifeless management. As other reviewers have noted this is principally a hotel for corporate travellers and wedding guests. Not for a romantic weekend or for foreign visitors looking for a friendly hotel from which to explore the Cotswolds.
I wish it were otherwise, because the house is GORGEOUS and worthy of better handling. First thing on entering you see is a huge 17th century open fireplace in a lovely entrance hall. This is the principal asset of the hotel and yet at the end of October it wasn't laid or lit. I enquired about this and was told they were waiting for the chimney sweep. Well chimneys should be swept between May and September, plenty of time. This lead to a miserable, empty feeling in the hall and some ill chosen green foliage and nasty furniture didn't help. The receptionist was friendly & helpful enough but that's where commendations for staff honours ended. My bedroom was good in size with a newly refurbished bathroom. Mullioned windows looked out over the local church and bucolic countryside. Nothing to complain about except none of it was as clean as it should be. The decor is tired to say the least and not in a charming way tired. NO individuality, and ghastly furniture that looked like it came from an office sale abounds. The TV was of the ancient kind & I needed help to operate a digibox. Time to upgrade - years of warning were given about the digital changeover. The room was depressing but not nearly as much as my friend's which cost only £10 less but was infinitely inferior and faced the road. Hers was gloomy, dusty and the bathroom appalling. The toilet seat was ill-fitting and had a chunk gouged out of it. A stray pubic hair lounged on the edge of the bath.
On descending for drinks a member of staff walked right past us without turning her head to acknowledge us or to say good evening. It turned out she was to be our waitress.The bar is dead. We asked for olives with our drinks and were brought a ramekin of peanuts with a slightly stale taste. Once ensconced at the dinner table we noticed the first thing on the menu were olives. So why couldn't we have been brought some pray tell? The dining room has had a modern refurb and I liked it. Wonderful light fittings. The food was really very good. Surely the best place to eat in Stonehouse; but the chef is seriously let down by the staff and what goes on front of house. They had some sort of soft rock album playing over the system which I didn't appreciate. The mens were oddly printed on different sized papers. The waiting staff were sloppily dressed and unkempt looking although polite. However they seemed to have missed the training day for waiting tables. We chose a table set for four although there were only two of us. Our waitress never cleared the other two covers and I waited until the appetizers were about to arrive before I asked her to. DAY ONE of waiting tables isn't everyone told you always clear unwanted covers? Should you find yourself in this dining room the scallops are well worth ordering.
Breakfast was good food again if you can stand the LOUD rock music presumably chosen by the young Saturday girls on duty. Fautless fry up.
Always choose rooms in the main house not the annexe which from the outside looks like an old people's home.
Sorry to the owners - but BUCK IT UP. This could be an excellent hotel and bar - it's so frustrating. GREAT location 3 miles from the M5 and close to much glorious countryside makes it great for business but not much more.

Room Tip: Avoid annexe and request to face the back lawn.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Mary K, General Manager at Stonehouse Court, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Dear WindyP

Very many thanks for the review posted following your stay at the Stonehouse Court in October.

It's always good to get reviews, both positive and not so positive.

I was pleased with your comments regarding the quality of our food and, rest assured, we are addressing the other issues you highlighted.

We have a new management team in place now and I look forward to showing some major improvements.

Thanks again
Stourport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Arrived at Stonhouse imagining a beautiful country manor in the middle of nowhere.....well nearly right !! It is a beautiful house, with lovely gardens very well maintanined....but when arrived I thought I had walked into a morgue !!

The girl on reception was very welcoming, I did order prior to our visit a bottle of champagne to be in our room, alas it wasnt. We did though have a round of drinks ' on her' ...not the same but nice to offer ( make mine a double eh lol ). Arrived about 3.00pm and ordered some sandwiches and chips which I must admit were lovely.
Room was very clean and tidy with nice views.... the receptionist explained the history of the house and that it was haunted !! I can imagine it was quite stunning in its heyday.
We booked dinner in the hotel that evening,,wished we hadn't, although the food was nice it was severley overpriced and there was no atmosphere in the bar, resturant or lounge.

If travelling here you do need a car, would highly recommend the Indian restuarant in Stonehouse itself ( the one with the fountains outside !!) the food and service was brilliant.
All in all our stay was ok, had to keep reminding staff about little things we had not got ( sugar in room). Staff were helpful but not up to speed, this hotel is not really a romantic retreat but a reps ovenight stay , buisness conference or wedding hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 1 -5 !!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Ah, Stonehouse. A place on the edge of the Cotswolds, not much to do and all the better for it. And it was here that I was billeted for a night at Stonehouse Court, a rather ancient old pile on the outskirts of the town, while flying round the country on another of my grand tours that contained little of any grandness about them.

Stonehouse Court is one of those big old houses that can trace a long line of history back over a thousand years with one or two of the gentry who, after being decreed the place by their respective king, turn against him. Talk abut biting the hand that feeds you, eh? The house suffered a fire back in the early 1900's but some of the interior remains from the refit, and it's overall a quite imposing place that also manages to be quite cosy. They knew how to build a house back in the days.

I arrived late - I always do, sadly - and got checked in. Young staff again, or am I just getting old? Never mind, they all seemed to know what they should be doing. With key in hand I searched for my room. Which turned into a bit of an adventure. You see, I might have been staying in the 'new' annex but the architect clearly decided to emulate the old idea of having lots of corridors and stairs and more corridors. After passing a St. Bernard I began to suspect a compass and Ordinance Survey map might have been useful. But no matter, I made it to my room before dawn.

The room in the extension was rather large, being on a corner, and was clean and tidy. A large bed and good sized bathroom welcomed me and I got unpacked. Sadly it became apparent that the fittings were becoming very tired and in need of refurbishment. The carpet had stains from chemical cleaners dusted on them, the wardrobe was aged and creaking and the curtains were falling apart, while the television was archaic, with a freeview box perched precariously on its top.Useless picture too. In the bathroom the tiling was dated and shower curtain flapped in murderous paranoia. But biggest criticism was the flooring, which creaked and groaned with every footstep. For a fairly recent build this was just plain awful, and while it may sound odd to rant about something like the floorboards, try walking from a bed to the bathroom at midnight withou feeling like you're disturbing everyone in 100 yards. Embarrassement personified.

Downstairs in the restaurant the food was served by charming staff, which made up for the puzzling menu. It was all very edible but some of the combinations did sound a little rum. Perhaps I'm showing my foodie ignorance here, or maybe chef likes to show off. I reckon a mix of the two. But a nod to the kitchen, I had no complaints and ate my greens. The background music was nothing special I'm afraid, rather formulaic jazz stuff piped into a room that had enough ambience as it was. At least it wasn't blimmin' Greensleeves on a loop I suppose. Back to the creaky room and a good kip, and that was it. No dramas or fuss. Isn't that what a hotel is supposed to provide, first and foremost?

So, how do I rate Stonehouse Court? Decent is a good word. But if the room was up to scratch then it would climb a couple of notches in my book. Still, I will happily go again, hopefully to try one of the rooms in the house itself. And maybe take some wire cutters to stop that jazz din in the dining room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Stonehouse Court? Share your experiences!