“Honeymoon Hideaway!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon Hideaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Recently married, my Wife and I decided to go skiing for our honeymoon. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) our hotel burned down! So we had a few short days to find an alternative and decided to stay in the UK. We found Cowley Manor through Mr & Mrs Smith and decided to book for 5 nights.

So we packed up the car, dog and all, and headed for the Cotswold's. From the moment we arrived we felt at home. We were upgraded free of charge and given a lovely gift of Green and Spring products, which is made by the company which own the hotel. Along with a nicely chilled bottle of Prosseco. Just what we needed after a long drive.

We stayed in the Stable block which is separate to the main building, as dogs are allowed. The room was great and had everything we needed. The bathroom is on a mezzanine level above the bed which works surprisingly well. The shower is by far the best I've had in a hotel. There is also a lovely sun room spanning the width of the entire room. Admittedly there wasn't much sun during our stay but it's a fantastic space. There are also some very nice touches like complimentary magazines for him & her, a free and easy to use safe. A Bose speaker system with free iPod, a host of DVD's, complmentary Green & Spring products and a lot more.

The main hotel is beautiful. The contrast of old and new is balanced perfectly. The character of the old house is still there and the modern twist enhances it rather than detracting from it which so often happens. The food, where do i start! It's without doubt the best I've ever had anywhere. Whether it's mac and cheese in the bar or the 5 course Valentine's night dinner, you are treated to a culinary delight! I actually read another review on TA saying it wasn't anything special, couldn't be further from the truth. I, like most people, love my food and we didn't have a single bad meal. I could dedicate an entire review on the food alone and not say a single bad thing. We took the opportunity to visit friends in Frome while we were staying here and they are members of Babbington House. We had lunch there and it was nowhere near the standard of Cowley Manor's.

We also took full advantage of the spa, would have been rude not to really! Again, first class. The only thing missing is a jacuzzi.

Only two things could have made our stay a little bit better. Firstly dogs aren't permitted in the main building. We were allowed to bring her into a private room but you feel cut-off from everything else. A lounge area where dogs are welcome would have been great. The other is wifi in the Stable block. We had no phone signal or wifi in our room but then it does motivate you to go to the main hotel and enjoy the wonderful views out to the gardens so maybe it's intentional!

We had a memorable time in Cowley. The grounds are amazing and the dog never tired of running around them! The staff are great, especially Matara who made us feel so welcome. We are already planning a weekend in the summer. The owners also have a hotel in Amsterdam, in the beautiful Jordaan which we plan on staying in as we visit The Hague a couple of times a year to see friends.

In summary we had a fantastic time and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stay here. The cocktails were none too shabby either.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

It was recommended to us by our sister in law who is in general really into artsy, designer boutique hotels. The Cowley Manor is the popular getaway for the hip Londoners, we were told. And we could see why. The overall design was quirky with lots of fun art objects dotted around, the whole property was set in a beautiful estate with lush green foliage, lotus ponds with swans swimming leisurely around. We had a picnic which was carefully packed and organised with glasses, silver and napkins etc.. Also a fridge locked up under the big tree...quite cute.

But the first room they put us in was right above the back of the kitchen where they stored the large dumpsters. At evening closing, the wait staff would be dumping all the empty bottles etc into the dumpster making lots of noise and we could also hear the chatter of the kitchen staff that went on all night till they finished the shift. Our room was subsequently changed. All the rooms were artfully decorated with some innovative features. If you are into really quirky design-y type of modern luxury then you would definitely find appeal in the room interior.

We also dined in in the restaurant one night. The food was beautifully presented and tasted great. The service was reasonable.

Overall the experience was good and I'd recommend it for any urban young couples who are into modern designer boutique hotels.

Room Tip: Choose your room wisely. Check out the rooms before you accept them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was lucky enough to receive a voucher for the day spa at Cowley Manor. The facilities and service was great, I had an amazing body massage and the lunch was excellent. I would have awarded the spa five stars but I was so disappointed to find that children are allowed in to the swimming pool between 9am and 5pm. I was relaxing on the loungers by the pool after my massage and swim and was constantly disturbed by toddlers screaming and splashing in the pool. While I was having lunch there were two little girls, one was crying as her ice cream had melted, so a disturbed lunch.

I have nothing against children but £125 spa day is all about relaxing, peace, time to myself away from the stresses of my daily life. I didn't feel that I got this and will not return, even though everything else was perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I ve stayed at Cowley lots of times, with my girlfriends recently and also with my husband and its a great experience with both. I have to strongly disagree with a previous reviewer about the criticism of the evening food. Im not easy to please and the food was some of the best food I ve ever tasted. The service was friendly and presentation was creative and beautiful. All the staff were brilliant and made us feel very welcome.
We ll be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Whitton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was bought a trip to the hotel for Xmas, we really enjoyed our stay.
We used the willies available (which were a must in Jan) to have a walk around the grounds and local village.
The staff were lovely and very accommodating, we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.
We were however quite disappointed with the evening food, we dinned in the restaurant the first evening, and considering the food isn't cheap we were quite disappointed, we were given some gorgeous mini fishcakes when we sat down, I thought we were in for a proper treat, however the rest wasn't so good.
We didn't dine in the restaurant for the other 2 nights.

Room was lovely and comfortable, the bathroom was lovely, the bath was huge !
The spa area was nice and the treatments were lovely, would have been nice to have a Jacuzzi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

A night at Cowley Manor was our Christmas gift from our children, and what a great Christmas present it was. The hotel is beautiful and beautifully done. The staff are friendly and attentive. The restaurant, even on a mid-week night in January, performed superbly: food precisely cooked and charmingly served. Our only problem was that the weather was dire, so we were unable to take advantage of the grounds. We shall return to do so and enjoy again the room and restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We've just stayed for the second time, for another girly break, at the gorgeous Cowley Manor. Again, the 3 of us shared this huge room (31) - with one of us sleeping on the sofa bed, which is totally comfortable. We think of this room as our "dorm" now! I don't know where to begin to describe how lovely this place is. We previously stayed in July 2013 when the weather was scorching, and we spent most of the time then at the outdoor pool and wandering around the lush grounds. This time the weather was wintry, so we used the indoor pool and spa facilities. We had a quick dip in the outdoor heated pool - it was snowing and dark and very atmospheric! The house was looking as stunning as ever - with log fires and candles everywhere. The decor is funky and contemporary, comfortable and relaxing. The food is fantastic. There are no signs anywhere telling you what you can and cannot do - (not even the normally ubiquitous one regarding towels) so it really is almost like being in a (very posh) friend's home. The staff are friendly and lovely - nothing is too much trouble. Another reviewer complained about the diverse nationalities of the staff - well - I have nothing but praise for the team of charming, cheerful, genuine, hard-working and accommodating young people who will make your stay a joy.

Room Tip: Photos of Room 31 are attached to this review. It's very quiet, with 4 windows - good views - an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Cowley Manor? Share your experiences!