“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Birdlip
Coleford
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but eat in their restaurant. On our way back from London we usually stop here for a meal but yesterday 3rd February the meal was not up to standard and the staff did not care. So unfortunately, this venue will be crossed off our list of good restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Firstly please let me apologise that the standard of your food did not match our normal high expectations, I have discussed you comments with my management team and Head Chef and I am confident the correct action has been taken. I would very much like to welcome you back and prove that your recent experience was a one off; if you would like to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to Michael I would like to be able to welcome you back in the future personally. Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and I do hope my team and I can welcome you back in the future – Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Bundaberg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The reception staff were very welcoming, the rooms were great, bed was soooooo comfortable, everything was spotless. The meals were amazing and such good value, they are pet friendly as well. Couldn't complain about anything

Room Tip: they have twin rooms as well as king size rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Firstly thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us; I will pass on your lovely comments to all my team especially the reception team. We all look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from spending 2 nights at this Hotel which is owned by Old English Inns.
We had a very enjoyable time, the room was spotless the staff and the food were excellent. We went on a special deal bought through the Daily Mail which was brilliant value for money.
Would we go again to this hotel? No problem and look forward to it.
It is a very good central location for visiting the Cotswolds and the various towns like Cheltenham, Gloucester, Cirencester etc and there are many walks to enjoy as well.
The only criticism that I we would have of the hotel is that it is looking a little bit tired here and there and could do with some TLC, but overall we found it to be a cosy, warm and friendly hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay, I have passed these onto all my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future, thanks once again for taking the time to offer your feedback, Michael and all the team at the Royal George Hotel.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked this Hotel as it is very close to family in the area, as we were having a family reunion that weekend. We had 3 rooms in total at the George, a Superior room, a standard double and a twin (the last rooms available). Myself my wife and my 2 grown up lads with their partners.

First impressions of the George are, what a lovely old Inn, nice outbuildings and period looking outside features. Set in a quiet sleepy looking village, with friendly locals that great you when out for a walk....very rare these days.

It would have been a lot nicer to continue the authentic theme inside as it lost authenticity the deeper we got inside. Although beamed and stone in places, a roaring log fire or two would have really topped it off for us.
We were greeted by a lovely smiling reception staff and although the staff were down to but a few due to the severe weather (snow), they bent over backwards to see we were ok. Having dropped the bombshell on the limited staff (3/4), of 14 of our family arriving the next day for Sunday lunch, our table was reserved for the allotted time and 14 people were very satisfied with a variety of meals from Sunday roasts to veggie options.
Food was good and hot, breakfasts were excellent and we didn't wait long for meals.
Being a real ale buff (CAMRA fan) I was happy to see 3 good mainstay ales on the bar, well kept too. Some more local or unusual ales wouldn't go a miss though.

Rooms: Our superior double was very comfortable, 4 poster bed which the wife loved, nice suite to sit around on etc. Only 1 bed side lamp which seemed odd? and a few stains on the furniture, carpet was dust stained (greyed at joins), more aged than anything else. Apart from that, lovely bathroom and comfy bed. The double and twin rooms were very basic and slightly run down, water stains on the ceilings and similar worn look, which is a shame as with just a bit of tlc, this place would be excellent.

I would rate this as a good value for money stay, although we seemed not to have received a discount like other guests were telling us? Having booked through a site. Not quite sure how that works out?

We will come back for another visit and hope to see what it looks like after refurbishment.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a 4 poster bed, although has a view of a roof only. Ideal for a couple wanting a bit of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Royal George Hotel, we are all pleased you enjoyed your time with us and I have shared your lovely comments with my team. We all hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future, Michael and all the team.
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We would like to thank Michael and his team for making our New Years break enjoyable, it was a really good value break. With comfortable rooms and good food. For us staying the two days meant we started the New Year refreshed and relaxed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, we are all so happy you enjoyed your time with us over New Year. I personally hope we can look forward to welcoming you back next year and maybe before. Have a fantastic 2013, Michael and all the team at the Royal George.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have just returned from our 2 night stay at the Royal George, Birdlip, this was our third stay at the Hotel. It was lovely to be remembered by the receptionist as we arrived.The food is very reasonably priced and realy nice. Rooms are warm and comfortable and all the staff are friendly and helpful. We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I will past your lovely comments onto all my team especially my reception team, it is very rewarding to hear such lovely comments from our customers. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Michael and all the team at the Royal George.
Staffordshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a very pleasant 2 night stay with friends. Great B & B value. You have to say there are signs of wear about the place. But the rooms were very clean, excellent king size beds. Found all staff very pleasant and friendly. Ate in the hotel both nights. Found the food very good value for money. Jason our waiter both nights was particularly helpful. Ok it's not the Ritz but for the money I can fully recommend here for a short break. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay, I have already passed on your nice comments to my team especially Jason. The Royal George will be having a full refurbishment over the next 12 months; I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We all look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!